It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria - Over 1,000 Now Killed and New Nuke Report Adds More Pressure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Syria rights group: 1,100 civilians killed since start of uprising

Syrian troops and security forces have killed at least 1,100 civilians in their two-month campaign to crush pro-democracy demonstrations, Syrian human rights organization Sawasiah said on Tuesday.

Plus a new nuclear reactor report came out earlier to.

Nuclear report on Syria may augur punitive action

IAEA findings that Syria 'very likely' pursued a secret program may add to foreign pressure on Damascus amid a government crackdown on protesters. A separate report says Iran has expanded its nuclear capacity and stockpile.

Reporting from Beirut— The United Nations' nuclear watchdog released a detailed report saying Syria "very likely" pursued a clandestine nuclear program, an assertion that is expected to add pressure on a regime already reeling from protests at home and sanctions imposed abroad.

"The agency finally weighed in and came up with a conclusion that most governments came up with years ago," said David Albright, a former weapons inspector who now heads the Institute for Science and International Security, a Washington arms control watchdog. "This is laying down the gauntlet against Syria."

You can't ignore the timing," said Albright. "Syria is politically weaker than it was six months ago, and it might be easier to muster the votes at the [IAEA] board to refer this to the Security Council."

Things are not looking good for the Syrian government. What will NATO do this time? Canada, the US, and the EU have already placed sanctions on Syria.

I would think NATO would of already took military action against Syria, but Russia has a base in Syria, and they are allies with Iran. Im not so sure NATO is willing to start a war with those countries just yet.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
And who is the west to dictate what happens in Syria?

This is utter crap, they are itching for an excuse to go into Syria and Iran, and this just proves it, and even if we do invade, these so called nuclear programs will be just as real as the WMD were in Iraq

Besides Russia and China are already fed up with the west conquest of the ME, if the US pushes this too much it will be bad for us all

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Syria took the wrong path, not many can defend them anymore.

I admire their stance against Zionism but very disturbing hearing torture and live ammunition against protesters.

That being said we can't just brush their side of the story under the table, that they are fighting armed groups, and much of the killings could be due to fighting between the security forces and the armed groups.

Another thing to take in to consideration, it is unlikely that the West wants Democracy in Syria because there isn't any groups which support Western interests, so if Democracy kicks in it might produce an undesirable government, like the Algerian government a while back.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Plus a new nuclear reactor report came out earlier to

it will get smashed just like the last one. Allies or not!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I see articles like as a kind of proof the USA is still pursuing Spykmans "Rimland" strategy which has been in play since the 1950s.. While Libya kinda shows to me Europe is continuing MacKinders "Heartland" strategy which has been in play since 1919.

Personally I see 2 Western strategies at play and I am unsure if they are compatible with each other..
As is demonstrable in the economic warfare going on within the Eurozone..

While on the flip side both Russia and China are playing similar Games.

As regard to the article... I am unsure who is countering who or who is stoking these fires..
edit on 25/5/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

it will get smashed just like the last one. Allies or not!

By a new nuclear report, I mean a new report that came out about the reactor that was already destroyed a few years ago.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Here is my gripe...

We send the UN into Libya over a small uprising that, with the help of the UN, grew into something that made a diffrence in that country's "civil war". Yet, we wont lift a finger in Syria while they mow over their people for wanting some smudge of freedom??

What the hell?!?!?! What does Libya have that Syria doesnt? I would think that if we jumped into syria and do what we're doing to Libya, thats one less problem we would face in the middle east and Israel!

I always wonder about the idiots we have running the world, but sometimes It makes me wonder about the people that actually vote these goons in office in the first place.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
US imposes sanctions on Syrian President:

rt.com...

Isnt this an act of war again? Now the US is at war with 5 muslim countries that i know of. Add this one. Declaring economic sanctions on some country is an act of war.

new topics

top topics

join