It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genius marketing, creepy, or just coincidence?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

I agree, if they could look into our dreams, they would do so without blinking an eye! There is no privacy or line they will not cross to make another buck!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sparda4355

Here's a site I found and put in the Links and Resources Forum:

RFID Chips: Everything You Need To Know At One Site
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Site:
www.spychips.com...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I would not put it past them!
Some years back soda companies were testing 'subliminal' sound messages on people right from the machine. Swaying potential customers to buy their soda instead of the competition.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
reply to post by Komodo

In the article I posted above with the photo from Minority Report the author explains how new advances in facial recognition technology will make "mobile marketing" even more intrusive and creepy.

I no longer have a cell phone by the way.

yes.. just read it, super CREEPY IMO, but what's odd is, in my thread, this has been going on for nearly 3years~! LOL.. I dunno, maybe 'they' have been using it for the last 5yrs and never reveled it till it was perfected(?)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
This is one of the scariest things I have run across on this site so far and I say that because although there is a ton of truelly worrisome things to browse through, this is about as close to home as I have heard in awhile.

An eye opener for sure...and spooky as hell, matter of fact, I can hardly believe this type of marketing is legal but I am doubting that it is going to stop at just marketing. No telling where this kind of thing is going to lead...that is the scary part.

Interesting and troubling at the same time...thanks for getting it out there.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
**THE ADVERTISERS ARE THE LEAST OF PUR PROBLEMS...

Yeah, the creepiest part is we all hate the fact marketers are doing this... Marketing companies, although intrusive, wish us no harm... They want us healthy and making lots of money so they can try and get it.

The scariest part is if they can do it, who else... And for what purpose.

Hackers, identity theft, big brother (obviously), and the scariest of all... EX WIVES! *he shutters*
edit on 24-5-2011 by sparda4355 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
and that's exactly why cellphones should only make calls and texts.

as if that wasn't already enough to spy on...

plus new phones break or bust just in time the new model comes out

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

Ah yes, good old planned obsolescence...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

Here's a site I found and put in the Links and Resources Forum:

RFID Chips: Everything You Need To Know At One Site
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Site:
www.spychips.com...

Yea, 6yrs ago, I was putting together a company that would utilize these ill buggers, they're awesome, however, put in the wrong hands/gov major privacy issues. I would be using them as only a means to track product, and dumps the data in a database for ease of use.

The chips I would have used could be scanned up to 4ft away, now they can be scanned up to like 12ft away or more. Nano-tech, is and will ALWAYS be the wave of the future. I watched a interview posted by someone on ATS that had someone that was on the ground breaking in the chip making field back in the late 70's/ early 80's and it was really spooky what he was saying.

They originally created them in that time to track high government officials that were being kidnapped, and brought together a meeting to talked about how to manufacture this new tech. When they were greeting each other in the lobby, 2 people, man & woman were there that no one hardly knew but, they dropped the names of someone that was suppose to be at the meeting but couldn't be which was confined by the man setting up the meeting, So they let them attend.

Interesting to note, the 2 shady characters, had badges that would allow them into any place in the facility, even some areas that other employees that worked there weren't able to get into.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Wow! That is strange, I hope you can find out what happened! I know where I used to work the coke machine had a little antenae on top of it, I don't know what it was used for, but maybe it sent some kind of signal out. It may have just been a coincidence, but that is one heck of a coincidence! The worrying thing is that you have an Iphone, that makes me suspect it's more than just a coincidence.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
This is not really new just not in wide spread use yet. I have been hearing stories like this for over a year now. People be walking down the street and pass and store and get a text ad from the store as they walked past. I have even heard about people getting mad from ads eating up their minutes. I dont know how wide spread this is and I have not get one yet but they are out there.

And on a side note, if the stores and even soda machines can track your and get your phone number just think of what the goverment can do. Now that is something to think about.
edit on 5/24/2011 by fixer1967 because: to add more

Just found this, check it out
edit on 5/24/2011 by fixer1967 because: add link

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Dude seriously, you should press charges. There has to be some sort of breach of constitution by that... that's completely insane if they think they can implement and do that without consent.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Bdizzl3

Yeah, but I'm sure we give consent by accident... You every play those cap games or anything? I usually don't either, don't drink a lot of pop, not nearly enough... But I'm sure I've done it once.

You ever read the terms and conditions from start to finish? Yeah, me neither... Lol

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I'm quite interested in the technology behind this. If some device can randomly 'see' your phone then start sending you messages, there has to be something to this. blue tooth? doubtful. RFID? Maybe. I still don't see how the device is picking up your number, even to text it needs your number. Am I to believe that anytime I walk around with a cellphone I'm broadcasting my number to anyone with a device that can read it?

This, if in fact real, has massive repercussions.

no, i'm not saying the OP is lying. i'm just saying I don't understand how this would actually be implemented.

Beyond that, when talking about a vending machine, how does the vending machine know to text you and not everyone in range? And again, how did it get your number? what number did the text come from?

sorry, i can't view the image from my work network so I really have no clue what the text says or if it actually shows the number it came from. My crappy old samsung vice phone does, I'd assume the fancy new ones do as well.

This is a massive breach of privacy, and potentially breaks wiretap laws. i just don't see this happening. then again, 10 years ago I'd laugh if you said the NSA was trapping all communications traffic and snopping it.

RFID seems like the likely suspect, device scans for RFID tags, up to 10-12 feet away now, phone has a passive RFID tag, meaning it takes it's power from the signal coming from the vending machine, phone doesn't even have to be on. When the phone responds, it gives out the number, passes this to the vending machine, which passes it to a device capable of making a call or text.

That's the only thing that seems logical about this, but it would be breaking privacy and wiretap laws, and incredibly disheartening to think anyone with access to this tech could 'scan' your number from 12 feet away.
edit on 25-5-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

sounds like an awfully complex, and expensive, vending machine :/
edit on 25-5-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

To identify your cell phone as unique, it has an ID much like each piece of computer hardware has a MAC ID (No, not just Apple.) As a result, it seems to me that if a phone, such as iPhone, has the tracking enabled for the phone, it can be retrieved by a vending machine that is equipped to do so. The phone number can then be retrieved from a database of the phone ID's.

Mobile Identification Number (MIN) - Uniquely identifies a mobile unit within a wireless carrier's network. The MIN often can be dialed from other wireless or wireline networks. The number differs from the electronic serial number (ESN), which is the unit number assigned by a phone manufacturer. MINs and ESNs can be checked electronically to help prevent fraud.

Source

The other thing that should concern you is that if you have a fairly new cell phone, it is equipped with GPS which, at a minimum, will enable emergency services to locate you in the event you are incapacitated. That means that every time your phone is connected to the network, your cell phone can be pin-pointed on the global map. The possibilities for government control are almost endless when you consider this. For example, they will be able to see when you cross state or country borders and levy taxes accordingly if they so desired.

Privacy is just a misnomer.

Be Well.
edit on 25-5-2011 by Bishop2199 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Why is this a 100% digital image and not a picture of your phone?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Sceenshot app on the iPhone (the name escapes me at the moment). It creates a digital image of your screen.

JT
edit on 25-5-2011 by Greenblaz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Okay what scares me is the privacy that us as human beings no longer have, or have we ever had it... o.0

Honestly I don't like the way things are headed with marketing ads n technology, i mean i dunno its hard its like you have to pick and choose what is good for us and what is not, now I have had this happen to me quite a few times on my celly and I don't even have an Iphone.. At&t but not an Iphone...

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Yet another reason why I don't own a cell phone...

Privacy? There ain't no stinkin' privacy!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Has it ever occurred to you that maybe you should try and buy another one and see if it happens again?

Honestly I doubt it's possible to send SMS to a phone without its phone number unless somewhere you have opted in with your cellphone number and it was sold to Coca-Cola.

Otherwise, corporations sending you a msg Via SMS every time you buy a product WITHOUT your approval is an invasion of privacy and considered SPAM.

Sue them and get paid.
edit on 25-5-2011 by jidnum because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join