It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Severe depression and 'miracle births'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I've been thinking about this a bit lately, and I'm wondering whether any other ATSers have had any experience with this idea, since my experience is purely anecdotal.

Essentially, I've been struggling with severe depression my entire life. During one of my bouts, mum told me that I was a 'miracle baby' in that there was some complication with the pregnancy. Essentially what she was getting at is that, in a manner of thinking, I wasn't meant to be born at all.

Since then, I've met two very similar people. People who have struggled with depression their entire lives, and were born under circumstances where medical science basically allowed them to be born.

I try not to get caught up in the whole 'meant to be' mentality, but it often seems like I'm plagued by bad luck and bad timing and, in general, fate is not a friend of mine.

Has anyone come across a similar thing before? People who 'shouldn't have been born' and as such their life is a constant uphill struggle? I don't mean to come across like 'woe is me', it's just my lot and I deal with it as best I can. But I wonder whether anyone has any other evidence (also anecdotal of course) to support this theory?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TheStev

I was born after my mom's tubes were tied. The doctors said it would be recommended to get an abortion, otherwise there would be a strong chance she would die.

My parents said no, because they believed in God and were prepared for anything. So they had me.

Well thank God for that (see what I did?), because she's still alive, I'm alive, everything is great.

Though, it is true, a LOT of bad has happened. I was depressed for a little while because I was moving to a new home, going to a new school (private), and all this time my mom was in the hospital with septic shock, and literally died twice before they brought her back.

Things are always seemingly bad, like right now - I'm losing my home (going to be 19 in July, so still live with my parents) as the bank is foreclosing on us - my sister in law has some weird rare disease they can't figure out - they sent her to USC and UCLA to be examined, so far all their tests are coming out negative (or positive? basically they can't figure it out, even the top medical doctors), and finally my mom's leukemia has returned and reached her brain. They told her she only has a few months to live, possibly dying this month or in june - but so far her tests are going up and down (because we're doing natural medication, it's working).

So.. Yea, # happens, and I SHOULD be depressed, but I'm not. It may be because I'm a Christian, but I've never been happier with myself spiritually and emotionally.

edit on 24-5-2011 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-5-2011 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I don't want to say you are wrong, as I haven't seen much evidence either way, but in my opinion the majority of the population probably goes through a depression phase. All have legitimate reasons, although some have it much worse than others.

Anyway, I think that one's emotional health is groomed from childhood, and many complexes that people harbor stem from childhood experiences and interactions. I cannot see, personally, how complications at birth could affect your psychological health today, unless it is something possibly dwelled on for a long time. I mean, what if you never knew what had happened to you at your birth? Would it make a difference on your mental state today?

I would say no, but then again I am not a psychiatrist or MD, so I cannot offer facts, only opinions. I think it's good that you are attempting to gather evidence to support your hypothesis however, and I applaud you for undertaking a rational method to receive results.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
You're just out of synchronisation, don't take it personally, as it can be corrected - it requires much meditation and focus. I have suffered similarly - my soul does not really "belong" in this body, however, I was born/incarnated into this body, as if being a trapped prisoner... Actually, I count myself as lucky to be alive, as the last thing I remember prior to this life was falling into the darkness.
edit on 24-5-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheStev

That's an interesting way to put it...

However, look at it this way. Advances in medical technology can only go so far -- even in the NICU. My oldest child spent the first five weeks of his life in that unit. Needless to say, I got to know the nursing staff fairly well and I learned an interesting tidbit. Several of the nurses admitted that many times they could tell if a premature baby was going to make it or not -- depending on whether or not the child had a "fighting" spirit about them.

Luckily, my son was a fighter. Ten years later he's still a whippersnapper and keeps me on my toes!

I wish you the best of luck in finding your peace of mind.

top topics

join