It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman videotapes apparent ghost at Reed Gold Mine in Concord NC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
CONCORD, NC (WBTV) - A north Charlotte woman claims she captured images on her
Flip Camcorder of a ghost at the Reed Gold Mine in Cabarrus County.
The Reed Gold Mine is a state park located at 9621 Reed Mine Road in Midland,
NC, located about 40 miles east of Charlotte.
Sandy Harrington said she and a friend visited the mine on Sat., May 14. She
used her Flip Camcorder to shoot video while inside the mine shaft.
"I literally saw the ghost jump out with my own eyes and thought it was a
visitor who jumped down a mine shaft out of sight, no one never showed up
though," Harrington said.

Story

The pics on this story, if its TRUE, are amazing ghost pics

The stories surrounding the alleged Haunting at Reed Mine

The Reed Mine, however, is rich in stories of deception and evil. John Reed had a large crew working for him at his mines and the foreman who kept everything running was known simply as "boss". Boss was a rough and tumble course and brash outspoken mountain of a man with very little refinement. Somehow he convinced a beautiful english woman to become his bride despite his rough exterior. The marriage was full of problems from the beginning and just got worse over time. Eventually, she had enough and wanted to go back to England to spend some time with her family. Boss agreed, and seemed to think this was a good idea that actually might help their relationship in the long run. This was all an act....Boss was furious. Boss helped her pack her bags and loaded up the carriage for the 8 hour trip to Charlotte where his wife was to catch a train to NYC, then a ship would take her home to England. This was the last time anyone saw the beautiful woman....at least the last time they saw her alive. When the woman didn't arrive in England or come back home to NC people began to talk and accusations flew. No one could ever prove that boss had anything to do with it, and eventually things were forgotten....until one day....

After some time had passed, things went back to business as usual at the mine. Operations continued and gold was found and taken to be sold. As one mine would end production they would move to another shaft and begin working there. One day some workers moved to a site that was much less used to begin excavating from this shaft. They were greeted with a horrible stench of death, and immediately went to report this to Boss. Of course, he knew what it was and rushed to be the first one to go in to investigate. He ran ahead of the other men and these men reported seeing Boss dragging something through the darkness into a corner out of sight of the men. At this point, Boss threw in a lit stick of dynamite and sealed that end of the mine. He told his men that it was an animal carcass that had caused the stench and he wanted to cover the evidence so that the men could continue working. Some time later as rubble was uncovered and new paths opened people starting finding items that were hard to explain, such as women's shoes, Hair, and personal belongings. Old timers at the mine instantly recognized these belongings as being those of the beautiful wife of "Boss", but nothing could ever be proven. It is reported that the woman's screams of agony can still be heard coming from the mines and sometimes she is seen walking around, possibly searching for Boss to take out some paranormal revenge on him. If you ever take a trip to the Reed Mines be sure to listen closely, you too might hear the beautiful English bride calling out from the other world.

edit on 5/24/2011 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/24/2011 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

I believe in Ghosts.
I think this is a hobo living in the mine though.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by goos3

That happened to a friend of mine who went ghost hunting in the abandoned Northampton State Hospital. A complex that had underground tunnels linking at least a dozen buildings. Housed a couple of shock therapy rooms and a morgue which was actually flooded when he went. The one time they swore they heard someone walking towards them but could not see anything. The foots steps got louder and louder so the group decided to turn off their flash lights. Minutes later my friend was making sounds like he was in pain and being hurt. They turned on their lights again and their was a hobo hitting him with a stick. I never got farther than that with the story because i ended up laughing my a$$ off. Don't know what happened after that, obviously he did stop hitting him and just went back to doing whatever hobos do in an abandoned mental hospital.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by CarpeLibertas

I just realized I KNOW the person that videotaped the entity, the encounter was witnessed by a few individuals and mine staff

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Yea cool story, but what year did this occur in ? Trying to figure out by the clothing
Since trousers were not a normal piece of womens attire till the twentieth century. Although the figures build makes me want to say female. Still very interesting find!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Digging a little further. In the link cited above we find this in the comments section:

I am the site manager at Reed Gold Mine State Historic Site and the story you are referring to is just fiction. A few personal effects of a woman were said found in a shaft at Reed, but this was later proven to be false. The Daily Concord Standard first ran the story Thursday, Oct. 3, 1895. Further References: Daily Concord Standard, October 3, 12, 17, 1895. Concord Times, August 25, 1892, Daily Concord Standard, March 12, 1894. Concord Times, March 9, 1888, Daily Charlotte Observer, October. 5 1895. Several authors have turned this story into a local legend, but there is nothing that substantiates this claim.

That does not negate the pictures, just the legend.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
if she recorded it on camera, why do we only get 3 pics?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Sandy Harrington, the woman who supposedly took the videotape, is trying to drum up sales for her book IMO.

Abstract Reality: by Sandy Harrington

I found this in about a minute while looking for the actual videotape online.

ETA: Or not. Apparently there are FIVE Sandra Harringtons in Charlotte. As it is late, I'll give them all a call in the morning and see if I can get a copy of the videotape.
edit on 5/24/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
it also looks like a video game person.

not much else to add, sorry.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

All I said was this is the story behind the alleged haunting

The owners of the Reed Gold Mine DO NOT like ANY stories of the place being haunted for some reason....

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

The owners of the Reed Gold Mine DO NOT like ANY stories of the place being haunted for some reason....

You'd think they might welcome a little publicity for their Halloween Spook House:

Yes, that video is from the Reed Gold Mine's Halloween ghost trail.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Not ghosts.

Them be Tommyknockers.

Ask any old gold miner.
It is not wise to mock a Tommyknocker. I’ve heard the legends.

The Cousin Jacks knew about them from the old country.
www.legendsofamerica.com...
www.abctales.com...

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Hey there Homer (long time no type),

Great story ... as soon as I saw the pics and before I read the story I felt the pictures showed the murderer ... not the victim ... maybe he has to spend eternity repenting for his actions ?

I don't know ... but I do think the pictures show the infamous 'Boss' ... I wonder if there are any old photographs of him and the team for comparrison maybe !

Thanks for sharing. Woody

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

And all I said is that there is another side to the story. I would think people might like to know that.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Here's the video, my comments are posted to the video:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I think it is an Amazing video. I watched it full screen and you see it go by twice. It would be cool if there was a picture of "Boss" to compare it to.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Here is the actual video that I found on this page of the ghost captured at Reed Gold Mine in NC. It is best if you watch it full screen and really amazing footage. There is another video on there as well. If you like the video please hit the like button at the top of the Fan Page. The video can be found on this link www.facebook.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
This video was taken at Reed Gold Mine on a guided tour. The Mine doesn't allow investigations. There isn't ONE thing paranormal in the video. The so-called ghost is a person on the tour. The other things are light refractions. It is cold in the mine, so this person is trying to keep warm. That is NOT and I repeat NOT an abandoned mine and this is NOT an investigation, but a bunch of amateurs out to promote Sandy Harrington's book.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
i know this is an old thread but i totally have to say something on it. until recently i was living right down the road from reed gold mine since the early 90's as a kid!! it's a pretty cool little place but as far as i knew none of those stories have any fact and never heard of it actually being haunted, as posted by someone above with quotes from the owner or whatever he was. i just really had to say something because going through the pages on here i never thought something literally 10 mins from my house would be on here haha. and depending on the date of the vid i know the place does yearly halloween tours with actors to scare the people. i actually did it one year for extra credit for one of my classes, the girl who did my face paint made me look like sting from wwe somehow haha and i was holding up some rubber skull i had telling people i was skeletor as they walked by. good times and thanks to the OP for posting this, always great to think of home and the good old days of being you now that i moved to VA.

top topics

join