It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Americans believe anti-white prejudice is a bigger problem than anti-black bias, study finds

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

We are all humans, if aliens were to come tomorrow. They'd destroy us a whole, we are humans. What is so difficult about that ?

And if China invaded tomorrow, we'd be Americans (or whatever country you hail from).

In order to elicit this kind of response from people, you would have to give them a much larger problem to focus on so as not to worry about issues of race. Once that issue has been resolved and a common threat has been abolished, the other issues will begin to take priority once again.

When you're an American in a foreign country - race and color are much less of an issue. Your nationality is an issue. You could be a card-carrying neo-nazi and buddy up with a black person in streets of Pusan, because you two have that much in common.

To expect people to ever reach a point where subtle differences are not an issue is pure naivete. We don't have that liberty. We can only manage who and what we are. I'm white. I stick out like a sore thumb in a group of black people. One of these things is not like the other.... but does it have to be: "one of these things just doesn't belong?" That's what we have control over.

Now, as for people who say "you can't understand discrimination as a white person" - no... as a white person - maybe not. However, as someone who falls into the hideously intelligent category - the "weird" category - the type that people just don't seem to understand, or really care to understand - I certainly do understand discrimination and how people will simply use and abuse you. I'm also a genuinely nice person - sure, I can be a bit of an elitist and prick at times - but I like to help people and am something of a romantic in that respect (I like to believe that "no one is beyond saving" and that everyone is more or less a good person at heart). That characteristic of mine gets abused. Horribly.

I "don't belong" in society. I've never been welcome - and I don't anticipate that to change. Being a person of average intelligence and being able to affiliate with a common ethnic background gives you at least 5% of the population to interact with. I've got less than 0.1% of the population that can appreciate a conversation. Discrimination? Try outright rejection from society where you filter out your own passions and interests from conversations because almost no one cares to think that deeply about an issue.

So I don't want to hear: "I'm discriminated against as a black person! White people got more loans!" Try being surrounded by people who offer such limited to non-existent companionship. At least you can find solace in depictions of the apocalypse. The only time the discriminatory border collapses for me is round the time of finals.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by laiguana

I'm really glad you brought up the Pigford settlement reparations by another name are still reparations. From what I've read about the Pigford settlement (the second settlement, not the first) it seems like one of the biggest shakedowns of the taxpayers ever. Like Jesse Jackson on steroids. I do believe that the farmers in question from the original settlement were due compensation but everything I've seen about the implementation of the settlement simply makes me sick.

That being said, I feel that divisive racial rhetoric is a sideshow to the real struggle, class. TPTB must find as many ways as possible to divide the 95% of us that do not control the world. Race, religion, and ethnicity are effective wedges that segment that 95% of us into more easily controlled populations. Historically non-TPTB white folks were thrown the most crumbs by that 5% and we were more than happy to be slightly better off than the minorities while lending our support to the paradigm that left us marginally better than blacks and other minorities.Immigration and changing demographics have changed the total make-up of the population and now we see those crumbs starting to go more toward minorities. It has to, the white population is no longer sufficient in size for the TPTB to use as its shield against those on the lower rungs of society.

Another issue is unchecked immigration from low-trust societies. (Think Mexico). The corruption endemic in low trust societies has come to the US. When we have a large unasimilated populations from various countries that are used to paying bribes for everything and getting pissed on by the system there. That mindset can cause an opportunistic business or local government to victimize long established businesses. Example: A middle eastern imigrant opens a gas station and pays a bribe to the county manager to win the bid for the contract for fueling a cities vehicles. The locally owned stations now must decide if they are going to participate in the corruption and offer their own bribe, fight it in an expensive lawsuit, or go out of business.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Somehow this is getting back to color speak...

No one can be pointing fingers at "the other guy" as far as history goes. Africans have made an art form out of genocide, seriously. Of course Europeans have the doozy that was the holocaust, GJ guys! America has the Indians..

We have all done the slavery thing (convenient how other cultures are willingly ignorant of their own cultural histories while screaming bloody murder at the US.)

Everyone on Earth is living in a society which has been founded through war at some point. Lands have changed hands over and over throughout the world..

Skin color is just that, skin color.. If you judge whites based on skin color you deserve no better treatment for yourself.. enjoy!!

Now that we have brushed aside the basic stupidity that convolutes the real debate we can get back to behavior.

I hijacked this thread so it wouldn't devolve into an series of stupidity salvos claiming that one "race" is more guilty than the other (pure BS and easy to see if you can read.
).

The conflict is cultural. Multicultural to be exact. People have a need to live amongst their cultural "equivalents".

We are using artificial governmental systems to try and force a square into a circular hole. It's not a race to prove who is best. It's simply a natural desire to have a space in which one feels that he or she is "at home". Western Society has allowed so many roommates to move in that we don't feel at home anymore, socially, on a higher level.

This has/is rearing it's . as increased crime levels, social and political corruptions and economic decline.

We really need to wake up to this.

IMO we need to close down borders to a large extent, for a good span of time. Get our .s on straight, give the current batch of immigrants a generation or two to settle in to the culture and give the culture a chance to finds it's new face and solidify a bit.
edit on 24-5-2011 by Fiberx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
It's just sad and silly to me that this is still an issue on planet earth.

You look around and see so much cleverness, huamn ingenuity, ability to overcome so much...and this stuff is still an issue somehow. We really are idiot-savants, aren't we?

To create a truly "colorblind" society EVERYBODY has to leave the racial mindset. It's not just a problem of "oppressive bad-guy white people" and "poor, pitiful good guy minorities." If people were just a little smarter, they would see that at this stage of the game the pendulum needs to swing a little more back to the middle away from "bash whitey all the time." If this happened, we could go onto the next step. But if people still insist on using race as a crutch, we won't get anwhere. In order for this thing to work, both "victim" and "oppressor" must step up to the plate and show they have what it takes to get beyond those labels, too.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jefwane
reply to post by laiguana

That being said, I feel that divisive racial rhetoric is a sideshow to the real struggle, class. TPTB must find as many ways as possible to divide the 95% of us that do not control the world.

Huh? Is there an actual description of what makes up 'TPTB'? Or is this just mumbo jumbo?
Regardless, I doubt we will need TPTB to divide us on the basis of race, gender or religion...We do that all too well on our own. And have as far as recorded history goes. Don't make me laugh.

Look I 'get it'...the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Class warfare is where it's at, but people are easily distracted..Your average American is more interested in American Idol than the economy...or so it seems to me at least.

Another issue is unchecked immigration from low-trust societies. (Think Mexico). The corruption endemic in low trust societies has come to the US. When we have a large unasimilated populations from various countries that are used to paying bribes for everything and getting pissed on by the system there. That mindset can cause an opportunistic business or local government to victimize long established businesses. Example: A middle eastern imigrant opens a gas station and pays a bribe to the county manager to win the bid for the contract for fueling a cities vehicles. The locally owned stations now must decide if they are going to participate in the corruption and offer their own bribe, fight it in an expensive lawsuit, or go out of business.

Public education in the US is a travesty. I know because I had to see it first hand.... BUT I'm not complaining... it's better to get some education than none at all, I suppose. Whatever, the point is that Americans are generally taught history one way. Most Americans simply do not have the comprehension of what it means when someone refers to 'US imperialism'...
Isn't bribing an integral aspect of American politics? Lobbyists? How about all the bribery involving foreign governments and agencies? Does that ring a bell? Oh well...guess it's only bribing if some strange looking foreigners do it, right?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
Public education in the US is a travesty. I know because I had to see it first hand.... BUT I'm not complaining... it's better to get some education than none at all, I suppose. Whatever, the point is that Americans are generally taught history one way. Most Americans simply do not have the comprehension of what it means when someone refers to 'US imperialism'...
Isn't bribing an integral aspect of American politics? Lobbyists? How about all the bribery involving foreign governments and agencies? Does that ring a bell? Oh well...guess it's only bribing if some strange looking foreigners do it, right?

He does have a point, though, there is a difference between operating in a society where you don't have to bribe the police/ultilites man/green-grocer/everybody and their uncle that you meet on a daily basis just to get through the day. The corruption you are talking about -- imperialism, etc. -- is of a different order, and is not unique to the US.

Lots of people eager to jump on the US's back about how it treats the rest of the world...here's a simple exercise. Look at US immigration law (in both practice and theory) and compare with the way Mexico treats illegal immigrants to Mexico from their southern neighbor, Guatamala.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by BarmyBilly
It's the same in the UK or at least i think so. It's considered offensive to sing 'bah bah black sheep' which for those who don't know is a popular nursery rhyme.

AFAIK, that's just not true... it's a scare-mongering rumour.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl

Originally posted by laiguana

He does have a point, though, there is a difference between operating in a society where you don't have to bribe the police/ultilites man/green-grocer/everybody and their uncle that you meet on a daily basis just to get through the day. The corruption you are talking about -- imperialism, etc. -- is of a different order, and is not unique to the US.

Lots of people eager to jump on the US's back about how it treats the rest of the world...here's a simple exercise. Look at US immigration law (in both practice and theory) and compare with the way Mexico treats illegal immigrants to Mexico from their southern neighbor, Guatamala.

I'm aware of Mexico's policies on immigration, I've been there many times. I'm not advocating that we should keep our borders wide open or allow people to disregard the customs and laws. Nonetheless, unlike European nations, the US has always been a melting pot of ethnic and cultural variety. Mexico is no less corrupt than the US...and the gap between the rich and poor is far more emphasized, which inevitably is why that sort of bribery exists more openly.
You say the bribery occurs in a 'different order'...well, more like on a 'different level'
You can't just point your finger in one direction.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Yes it is being pushed and hard. The White race is being singled out and treated indifferently to other
races. Just take a look at this embarrassing mistake by News Week a couple years ago or so.

The front cover has a blue eyed White Baby on the cover with the words, is your baby racist?
its quite obvious really what is being Suggested here.

edit on 25-5-2011 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jetflock

Why in the hell is that off topic? Do you know what a Hienz 57 is? You mods should start looking stuff up before you change the threads. You wonder why people don't trust you. Hienz 57 means your multi-ethnic.
edit on 25-5-2011 by jetflock because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Black Americans are only 17% of the population in the U.S. Stop donning your white KKK hats. Blacks have a long way to go yet.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by CalmAsHinduCows

Originally posted by BalderAsir
I do find it intersting with American society. The blacks have the BET network, School and Universities for black students only, scholorships for black students only, music awards for black artists only and thats seen as a right for them because they are black. They can racially abuse a white person without recorse.

Yet, if you were to have a tv network called the White Enternatinment Network, they would be up in arms or the racist network, same would go for White only schools, universities, scholarship and entertainment awards. A white person has a dig at a black person and they get labeled a member of the klan. You can't have it both ways, you want equality, then stop doing everything to create a racial divide.

I'm not racist in anyway, but I am a realist. If you want to call me a white !@#$% (among other things) then I am going to call you a black !@#$% fair is fair.

If anyone takes offence to this post I really don't care, it needs to be said.

I could not have said it better myself.

My girl and I were just reading this thread 20 minutes ago and I, too stated the fact that there's a Black Entertainment Channel, yet no White Entertainment Channel.

And you know if there was, the poop would hit the fan with the FCC and organizations calling it racist.

Why do people always bring up this non issue? There was a time when black culture was not showcased on tv, so they made their own channel. Same with schools, universities, and scholarships, they werent available or allowed to attend so they had to be created. When people say this its laughable really!

The truth is 90% of the shows on tv are about white poeple. It’s like me as a heterosexual person (straight) complaining why there is LGBT channels. 90% of shows on television are about straight people.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Naptown317
Why do people always bring up this non issue? There was a time when black culture was not showcased on tv, so they made their own channel. Same with schools, universities, and scholarships, they werent available or allowed to attend so they had to be created. When people say this its laughable really!

The truth is 90% of the shows on tv are about white poeple. It’s like me as a heterosexual person (straight) complaining why there is LGBT channels. 90% of shows on television are about straight people.

About 10% of America is said to be homosexual, so 90% being about straight people is roughly equivelent to their presence in society.

According to the most recent US census, about 12.6% of America is Black. So for blacks to be fairly represented on TV, having "90% of the shows on tv about white poeple" would be more or less accurate. (well, I suppose we'd have to boost it 2.6% to be truly fair). But think about it: the number of black actors, black-related shows, etc. seems to me at least to account for more than 12.6% of the total.

edit on 25-5-2011 by Partygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
All I see is more people latching onto this 'victim mentality'.

There is no anti-white bias, the elite are white, the majority of the upper class and middle class are white, it doesn't seem like there's very much bias.

edit on 25-5-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I doubt that it has increased. I would say the same amount exists except black people with such biases are more vocal about it. If there is an increase though, it is probably due to that minority spreading their distaste for white people.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
This is a conspiracy, i'll soon go into how.

Firstly I do agree with this study, anti-white bias has seriously increased and there's no doubt about that.

That's not what the study actually says however. the study doesn't talk about actual discrimination, it talks about what white Americans believe is discrimination. Know what I've discovered, in years of observation?

White people tend to perceive equality between whites and other races as being discrimination against whites. Every black person who has a job over white people - from a McDonalds manager to the freaking president could only have gotten there by some "illegitimate" means - those positions are "reserved" for white people. People argue that millions in damage caused to 90 mostly-white farms is worse than the destruction of a mostly-black town of 2,800. Have you ever seen white people nerd-rage about the fact that rap music is mainstream? Did you see the honest anger that Idris Elba was cast as Heimdall for "Thor"?

Whenever white people aren't first in line, white people tend to claim that they're being discriminated against. The sad fact is, the vast majority of white people don't have a damn clue what racial discrimination is like.

Let me put it this way; there are no ads for "skin darkeners" and "hair-kinking agents" in Cosmo or Redbook.

Take any social issue you want and you'll notice that the U.S. is the most divided on that topic in the world, bar none!

Well, our political structure does tend to foster a binary outlook on things.

However, Race is a big issue in America, and there's a good reason for this; Our nation has a bloody, dirty history where race is concerned, and it still has an impact today. It seems white people want to just forget about it, pretend it all never happened, and then cry whenever someone mentions it.

Which brings us to another thing...

Ever notice - okay, you probably haven't - but I HAVE noticed that white people tend to believe that they are the arbiters on what racial topics get to be discussed. Like, white people decide it's "okay" for Bill Cosby to go on a crazy rant about how woerthless black people are, but then white people assert that Jesse Jackson wanting to talk about the impact of racism on black poverty is verboten. "Okay fine," white people say, "we can talk about Slavery, but ONLY if we get to claim the Irish had an equally rough time in America!" And of course, I can't help but notice that every time someone says "golly, we're all just one race; the human race!" it's a white person saying it - often with the intent to shut someone else up when they're saying something that makesthat person uncomfortable.

Political Correctness has run amok!
Many people are only pro-black because it fits their political agenda and many whites themselves are anti-white.
Why not just be pro-people and leave it at that?
Politics that's why!

Take this "political correctness" garbage. Political correctness is not real. It does not exist. There is nothing like a "political correctness committee" making biannual decisions on what is going to be "fixed," quarter by quarter. What you are labeling as "political correctness" is actually nothing more than people defying the age-old orthodoxy in the US that straight, christian white males get to call the shots and have authority to define the culture. That is, "political correctness" is people asserting their rights to be who they are, their entitlement to equal and fair treatment, in instances where the system's "traditions" says otherwise in favor of - guess who - straight christian white males.

I've never met an anti-white white person. The closest I've found is white people who admit that lots and lots of colored people have suffered at white hands in this country, and think that something should be done about it. Again we see an instance of privilege; White people who admit historical and current fact are "anti-white." As if covering up the past and turnign a blind eye to the present is what is needed to be "pro-white?"

So how is this a conspiracy?
I believe it's to further divide the country and create a spring-like effect where you push a given group back and then they just naturally spring back(blowback).

Yup. However your mistake is in thinking that since white people are being "oppressed" (I giggle a little every time I see those words) the blowback is going to come from them. No. The blowback is already happening, and it's coming from the folks that white people have been treating like garbage for the last five hundred years. Amazingly, this is actually not harmful to any white people; it's simply a reassertion of other peoples' deserved places and rights in this society - remember, what you decry as "political correctness" since it ultimately means you aren't afforded cultural supremacy due to an accident of birth.

This is to divide the country and possibly promote a race war.
But why?

Why are white people always talking about a race war? Do they just miss killing brown people? Is this some sort of genetic nostalgia?

A divided country will make the people the problem and not the Govt.
A race war will destabilize the region and promote a police state, then the police state will not be the problem but the perceived solution.

Hate to tell you, but, uh... if the government is a problem, then it is only a problem because of the people. Swear to god, people around here need to pay more attention to the way crap works in this nation. While our govenrment is NOT totally responsive to the governed, we do have an impact. When only 35% of the voting public turns up at the polls, that causes problems. When that 35% is built mainly of morons who vote for more spending, bigger guns, and no taxes, where do you think the country is going to end up?

Think of the democratic system as a computer; a computer can only respond to information you give it. Even when you get a devastating worm virus that forces you to reformat, you can trace it back to that night you were doing jaegerbombs and decided to look at smurf porn. Poor maintenance will cause the computer's performance to worsen. etc, etc. Basically, with rare exceptions, every problem you will have with your computer isbecause you did something dumb to it. The same applies to our government; if everyone who votes is a moron, the system is going to give us retarded feedback.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Naptown317

And they always leave out that BET is owned by a white guy (via Viacom) and that no one can say BET really portrays black Americans in a positive light at all.

Imagine if this mythical "WET" were owned by a Mexican, and mainly featured the Kardashians in between airings of "Hee Haw" and "Dude Where's My Car." And late night on WET would be "Married with Children" and "Ally McBeal" WET's children's programming would feature vaguely white-ish cartoon children drawling like Texans with mouth cancer as they navigate the ins and outs of life in the trailer park.

Oh, and this station would be just about the ONLY place on cable where you could get even that much coverage of white people.

'Cause THAT'S what a white-equivalent to BET would be. You guys want that mess on your cable lineup, for real?
edit on 25/5/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

The Kardashians are white?

Seriously though.. what would be the general consensus if there was a channel that touted itself as white entertainment?
edit on 25-5-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
How can you not have anti-white prejudice, and self loathing amongst whites, when the Zionist media machine has been instituting these values from a young age? They openly, and sometimes laughingly portray these racist values even on the Disney channel. There is an agenda behind this major increase.
edit on 25-5-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Fully fledged Apartheid taking place in America after the next Election, anyone?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join