It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Americans believe anti-white prejudice is a bigger problem than anti-black bias, study finds

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

When I was in Middle School (Junior High) it was divided about right down the middle between black and white students. Now me coming from a rural area of the county with basically no blacks around this was quite a shock for me especially since the school was inside the city. I soon noticed that the blacks stuck together and had many white girls hanging out with them and a few white boys. There were a very small amount of blacks hanging out with the whites.

Now in one school year there were 6 fights that I can recall and not to sound racist but all 6 were between black students. One was even tasered and hand cuffed. But this was a school with a lot of heavily impoverished students.

I never remembered being called any names for my race in my community or at my elementary school and do not remember calling anyone else a hateful term for their race. But at this school I was called "white trash", "cracker", "honkey", and "white boy" (said with a negative attitude). I had told my friend about it and all he said was "just don't say anything back to them". It had got to the point where I told one of my teacher's and all she said was to "ignore him".

This made me wonder at that point, "what if I called him the -n- word? Would that same teacher had told the black kid to just ignore me?". Then I remember a fight almost occurring between a white and black student. The white student was quickly hauled away by a teacher to the dean's office while the black kid was not punished in any way. They were both yelling at each other and no teacher was there to begin with to determine who had first started the pushing and argument. So why pull the white kid aside? That did not sit easy with me.

It was not until after I had reached 9th grade I learned why that school allowed racism towards whites to occur. They had been hit with a lawsuit 2 years before I went to that school for a white student discriminating against a black student and supposedly the school let it happen.

From that time forward I have always kept a close eye on any and all mention of race because I have always wanted to prove what I thought was right; discrimination towards whites is acceptable. And so far it has been proven true in my eyes.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Come on man.. No one is pulling the strings.

It is a natural result of our policies. You can witness these conflicts on a personal level in your everyday life and then extrapolate simple experience into a basic understanding of the REAL (not imagined) forces at work in Western Cultures..

On an individual level, if you and I lived together, I might smoke and drink and do my laundry at 11pm when you have to be at work by 5am.

You might feel that I am killing myself, my smoke that blows into your window upsets you and that I make too much noise when I am buzzed and screaming at the boxing match on TV. Since the washer and drier are just down the hall from your room, my laundry keeps you up when you need to be sleeping too!

I am not a bad guy.. I don't hurt people purposely, I don't steal, I don't wish you any harm.. I have a different lifestyle and different priorities and they are getting in your way. I make you uncomfortable and unhappy because I bring things into your life that you don't want to deal with.

Want to live with me?

If I DEMANDED that you be required to live with me but that I can not be forced to respect your needs, how would you feel?

No scale it up to a vast scale, where a social and political system are exploited by alien cultures in order for them to force your lifestyle to serve their interests. It's the nightmare houseguest writ large. While most cultures around the world do NOT accept the influence of outside cultures so easily, Western Cultures are being strong armed by invading cultures.

The most amazing aspect of it all is that the West is bedeviled for these open policies while simultaneously having those very policies exploited in order for outsiders to force their own cultural values on the host.

The west is "racist, hegemonic and imperialist".. while supporting investment in infrastructure, education and agriculture in 2nd and 3rd world nations on a level never before seen and having the most accessible societies that have ever existed.

If anything, the conspiracies are coming from the outside!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
In my opinion most whites, besides the openly racist ones, are very careful to avoid doing or saying anything that could be construed as anti-black, or racist. From what I have observed this is directly related to the fear of being labeled a racist. It seems to me, again based only on observation, that since most whites want to avoid that label, they will either go out of their way to avoid doing anything that could be construed as racist, or they may cave in to verbal aggression from pro black groups, etc...IMO this denies equality as a whole. If equality means equal, then how does showing favor to one race simply because of the fear of being labeled racist infer equality? See, even as I type this I am trying to be very careful not to "offend" anyone.

"Black power!"
"Yeah!"
"Mexican power!"
"Yeah!"
"Asian power!"
"Yeah!"
"White power!"
"You get the bottom bunk. Enjoy your cell, Adolph."

Political correctness has destroyed any reasonable white person's pride in their history by being subject to calls of "racist", "bigot", "redneck", or what have you. My great-great-great-grandfather was a corporal for the Confederacy in the War of Northern Aggression. His great-great- and great-great-great-grandfathers (a father and son) both fought in the American Revolution. I am proud to be descended from them, and I have zero guilt that I'm white and successful.

But I get hamstrung just for being white, and the fact that I would take a bullet for either of my coworkers, one a Pakistani Muslim here on a work Visa and the other a black American, means jack squat to some people.

/TOA

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by edog11
Divide and conquer. Nothing more, nothing less. As of late, it seems to me that TPTB are doing their very best to cause an uprising in the USA so that the police state can be implemented. Most of the groundwork is already in place.

The only remaining question for as far as I am concerned is:
Will US troops and police officers side with the government or will they side with the people in case of a civilian uprising?

For all my brothers and sisters living in the USA, I wish you all the best of luck and I hope that you can find the strength in your hearts to fight for what you know is right and true when the time comes- just like your forefathers before you did!

Edit: S&F OP.

IT--
edit on 24-5-2011 by edog11 because: (no reason given)

Some soldiers would leave and fight for the people....then it would be soldiers vs soldiers and civilians trained by those soldiers who had left the army to fight for the people.

Then you would have American Soldiers fighting each other for the first time.....Note that The United States of America was not fighting eachother during the civil war, as it was The Union vs the Confederate. Thos states left the country and also france and brittain were involved so it's a bit different.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I"m black and I'd never disrespect anyone. Everybody's forgetting about the Native Americans, If I remember my natural history book they were here before all of us. Maybe I'm reading a TPTB brainwashing book.

I guess they don't matter anymore....I've been beat up by white guys, that's why I carry a knife. Birds don't always flock together. I still don't want to be bothered with uncivilized black people nor white people. That is why I am a loner. I don't understand a word a black person says on the street. I guess I only speak dictionary.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

What you say gets at the real truth. It's not color, it's culture. No one wants to be forced to deal with people that behave in ways that they find undesirable. Of course this is reality in all human cultures, individuals are individuals, but flooding a society with foreign cultures and giving them all a bull horn of democracy with which to demand their preferences is pouring jet fuel on the fire.

The host has to decide.. Do you take away everybodies bull horn, or do you stop the flood of alien culture?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fiberx

What you say gets at the real truth. It's not color, it's culture. No one wants to be forced to deal with people that behave in ways that they find undesirable. Of course this is reality in all human cultures, individuals are individuals, but flooding a society with foreign cultures and giving them all a bull horn of democracy with which to demand their preferences is pouring jet fuel on the fire.

The host has to decide.. Do you take away everybodies bull horn, or do you stop the flood of alien culture?

You don't have to worship somebody else's god but you cannot close your eyes to the world either. It's why some white people are called "rednecks" and some black people "Ghetto".

They're the ones who close their eyes and deny the world.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
It really kind of depends upon the crowd you're in.

Here's the way I look at it - if a person sits there and opens up the floor to ethnic joking or ridicule - it's fair game for all involved. Call me a cracker, I get to call you a word that gets filtered out of the forums. Call me white trash, I get to ask why my cotton isn't picked. That's equality - we can both cast insults at each other on equal footing. You set up a black only art gallery, I set up a white-only art gallery and both are recognized by the government as valid institutions.

We have black history month... why not a white history month? And an Asian history month? I mean... really - how many people know what their various ethnic heritage has done for the country - and where their origins are traced back to on a geological time scale? ... Where DID whites come from?

I think, rather than trying to "get rid of racism" - we should simply deflect the whole race issue all together. Rather than focusing on slavery and the history of racism - we should be focusing on the history of the different races and turn it into an academic issue that will either fascinate some people in learning about other races and cultures - or simply bore the dunces into finding something else to form gangs over.

But it won't be an overnight solution.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I was on the subway one day. Three black guys on the train with me LOUDLY saying racists things. The funny thing is, if it were the other way around, you would be hearing about three dead white guys the next day. All races suck.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I'll tell you why there's no white history month. You have good points of your culture but nobody wants to talk about genocide, no offense but white history isn't pretty. No cultures history is pretty, can't we be the human race and move on ?

We should've stopped talking about race eons ago, yet here we are still talking about this in 2011. Just shaking my head over here, people!

Whatever, I'm going to go entertain myself. Peace

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I've been called a racist before.

In school when I was about five or six years old I was the first kid to make friends with a little black girl who was brand new to this country. This was in the mid 90's in semi-rural England, and I'm willing to bet this was the first non-white kid the other kids had ever spent any time with. I don't even know where she was from, because I didn't care. All I knew was that she was fun to hang around with, and when she came out of her shell, everyone else felt the same way.

In high school I was friends with the only asian girl in our year in suburban Scotland. No one ever said anything to her or treated her any differently, because nobody cared. The few ethnic groups we had mingled with everyone, and that's how I thought the world was. I was very naive at that time.

Then at the end of my schooling, I moved to a school in urban Hampshire, England. I'd like to say I made friends with everyone, but the ethnic groups were impossible to get to. They'd all huddle together in one section of the classroom/yard, refusing to talk to me. I was consigned to the white side. The only white kids they would speak to knew all the slang and acted exactly like them in an effort to accepted. I never heard them using the n word, but I heard black and asian kids using enough racial slurs to make water boil. The whites kids took it. If it had been the other way round, a fight would have definately happened.
That kind of blew my perceptions of society out of the water.

Nowadays, I have very strong views on racial seggregation. I do not hate on any one group, I think that intergration is key, but this is why I have been labelled as a racist. I have only ever had this from other white people who seem to be terrified of being white. This in turn allows a minority of people in ethnic groups to use racial slurs that we would be crucified for. It's not about skin colour, it's about culture. If we all carry on with our heads in the clouds allowing this bias to continue, we will no longer have a society.

But far from it. How can you climb back up the slope when it's made of vertical sheet ice?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
It doesn't bother me, because the vast majority of white christian males don't have the slightest idea what discrimination really is in the U.S.
Okay sure...if you go to Compton there's a chance you'll be targeted for being white...but let's take a history lesson okay?

The discrimination that blacks, Jews and other minorities faced in the U.S. was incomparable to what you're protesting about.

I'm still waiting on a mob lynching like Leo Frank's involving a white christian male, or perhaps we can make an attempt to see when white christian males were denied property rights for being a white christian male alone, in the same sense women were denied property ownership throughout much of the 19th and 20th century.

But okay...let's look at something more recent.

From 1981 to 1997, the United States Department of Agriculture discriminated against tens of thousands of African American farmers, denying loans provided to white farmers in similar circumstances. The discrimination was the subject of the Pigford v. Glickman lawsuit brought by members of the National Black Farmers Association, which resulted in two settlement agreements of $1.25 billion in 1999 and of $1.15 billion in 2009.

There are countless of examples that I can bring up...but that would take up too much of my time. None of them are even comparable to the 'racism' or 'discrimination' you white christian males claim to experience. Rather..I find it laughable..

Still...I can't help, but refer to the earliest history of the United States and note that the Native Americans were experiencing the same frustrations. It's like a new era of 'manifest destiny', in their times it was European colonialism.

Like the saying goes...what goes around comes around.
edit on 24-5-2011 by laiguana because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
It doesn't bother me, because the vast majority of white christian males don't have the slightest idea what discrimination really is in the U.S.
Okay sure...if you go to Compton there's a chance you'll be targeted for being white...but let's take a history lesson okay?

The discrimination that blacks, Jews and other minorities faced in the U.S. was incomparable to what you're protesting about.

I'm still waiting on a mob lynching like Leo Frank's involving a white christian male, or perhaps we can make an attempt to see when white christian males were denied property rights for being a white christian male alone, in the same sense women were denied property ownership throughout much of the 19th and 20th century.

But okay...let's look at something more recent.

From 1981 to 1997, the United States Department of Agriculture discriminated against tens of thousands of African American farmers, denying loans provided to white farmers in similar circumstances. The discrimination was the subject of the Pigford v. Glickman lawsuit brought by members of the National Black Farmers Association, which resulted in two settlement agreements of $1.25 billion in 1999 and of $1.15 billion in 2009.

Still...I can't help, but refer to the earliest history of the United States and note that the Native Americans were experiencing the same frustrations. It's like a new era of 'manifest destiny', in their times it was European colonialism.

Like the saying goes...what goes around comes around.

edit on 24-5-2011 by laiguana because: (no reason given)

Thank you, Karma is a b!+c#.If Native americans took back this country, we'd all be sitting back where we came from!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
yeah, why, just the other day i was minding my own white business while driving through the affluent, black part of town when I got pulled over by one of the many black cops. "Sigh. Another Driving While White charge" i figured, but I complied. "Yes, sure, here's my identification" I told him when he asked.

After a speeding ticket and a beat down for failure to signal, he let me go. That sure was nice! But the stop and beating made me late for my job. My Black boss was none to happy about my tardiness, of course. "You lazy white people dont own clocks? You're fired!"

So now what do I do? It's hard being a white male in America.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Every group of people think they are treated unfairly. Whether it is race, sexuality, religion, everyone has a gripe about something. The days of inequality are over. The only reason these issues continue to come up is because we allow them to. I challenge EVERYONE to look in the mirror and ask yourselves "what am I being denied because of (whatever your gripe may be.)"

I was recently in New York City and as I was touring the city I was absolutely harassed waking through Harlem by a group of radical African-Americans spewing their hatred on the street corner for all to hear.. Being called "white devil" being told that I am responsible for holding them down. I attempted to debate with them and try to make them see what I see only to be cursed out and bombarded by threats. I'm not bashing African-Americans with this. People of every race, religion and lifestyle are subject to these acts of blind hate and agression. These groups exist in all cultures and it is absolutely unacceptable for this day in age

Now I understand that as a 20 something white male I can never fully grasp the hardships endured by African-Americans of the past, or any other group for that matter. But it is the year 2011 and we are ALL in the same boat. All of us common citizens have our problems some more than others. But using your race, relgion, sexuality ect as a crutch to bash on others is taking a huge step back for all that has been accomplished to ensure equality.

If we as individuals could collectively see that these problems only exist in our own minds there would be alot less hate in this world and we could all begin to work toward the collective goal. Race is only still an issue because we make it one. The media takes every chance it gets to bring it up because it keeps us divided and a distracted divided world is much easier to manipulate.

Sorry if this rant strays from the topic but I cannot stand these types of things that are only meant to make us dislike eachother and criticize our differences rather than celebrating them.

If we could knock off a

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
nah. its all the same. every race sucks, regardless of history. Stereotypes are true and false at the same time. Really, your all humans. And we are still in our infancy. I hate all races equally, including my own ketchup bottle.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetflock
nah. its all the same. every race sucks, regardless of history. Stereotypes are true and false at the same time. Really, your all humans. And we are still in our infancy. I hate all races equally, including my own ketchup bottle.

Most common sense thing I've heard, everybody got problems; but really how can you hate ketchup ?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I'll tell you why there's no white history month. You have good points of your culture but nobody wants to talk about genocide, no offense but white history isn't pretty.

Then perhaps we should have a real "black history month" and learn about Africa.

That should overwhelm one's tolerance for genocide and civil rights violations.

No cultures history is pretty, can't we be the human race and move on ?

Can't we deny ignorance?

The problem with trying to make race a non-issue is the obvious. People can take one look at each other and see a very apparent difference there. People are going to have natural questions and concerns about these differences. People will create answers to them if we make the subject a taboo.

We should've stopped talking about race eons ago, yet here we are still talking about this in 2011. Just shaking my head over here, people!

The idea of eliminating the concept of race is pathetically naive and in complete denial human beings. Any time you try to deny why you are, there are problems bound to happen. We should spend time learning who and what we are and how to manage those characteristics, rather than trying to say "if only we could drop it as an issue."

We don't have the liberty of deciding what human beings are - we only have the liberty of -managing- our being. Saying "if only we could eliminate race as an issue" is akin to farmers saying "if only we could eliminate storms that destroy crops."

Trying to farm with the ideal that you can deny the presence of storms and other threats to your crops is no more functional than trying to live in a society where ethnic backgrounds are irrelevant. By understanding the threats and what they threaten, you can take action to mitigate the damage caused. That's called managing risks and functioning in a world that doesn't function according to our concept of ideal.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
We are all humans, if aliens were to come tomorrow. They'd destroy us a whole, we are humans. What is so difficult about that ?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join