It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children growing weaker as computers replace outdoor activity

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Ok, this thread has made me angry!!

For a start if you look at the source properly, you would notice that the study was done in ESSEX UK yet straight away people are blaming America?

I have two children. I feed them a healthy, balanced diet and make sure they are active. My five year old boy absolutely LOVES his computers and has been computer literate since he was three. He can surf the web, write Emails, and search google earth. He can upload and download. He also plays on our playstation3, a Wii, and nintendo DS, and ipod touch. He is still in the reception year at school yet is nearly on year 2 work already. His teachers are constantly telling me how bright he is and how well he's doing. I know for a fact that him using computers has helped to educate him, from the first time he started typing words on a computer screen aged 3 (for the record it is a LOT easier for a child that age to type on a screen that to write freehand!) I have no doubt that one of the reasons he is clever is because he uses a computer every day.

He is also a very physical lad and can run, climb, throw and catch. His BMI is fine (I cannot actually believe we are talking about childrens BMI?? they havn't even finished growing yet!!) He is very strong and biosterous and loves to play any sports, especially football. I would like nothing better than to let him out to play on his own all day like i did when i was a child. Times have changed. Just the other day there was a attempted snatching of a child in their own front garden in a village local to us. Not that Im a paranoid parent but i have my eye on him all the time, as any 21st century parent knows, you have to, particularly when they are young.

Child snatchers aside, I know the kind of things that I used to get up to when i was playing on my own as a child in the 80s. My playground was a barn full of hay bales and old farm machinery. I could have so easily been killed! there is no way i would let him do this.... I'm not paranoid I'd just rather my kids played safe!

Its easy to blame computers, society, america... but if your child spends all his day infront of a computer, eating Junk food all the time and getting ZERO exercise, there is only one person to blame.. THE PARENTS!!

My son is monitered when he is on the computer, I am there for advice. he has no longer than an hour at a time on it, maybe two times a day on weekends and holidays. Some days he doesnt even go on it, if we are off doing other things together as a family. If he wants to know anything I'll say, "lets google it" and find out within seconds literally anything! The main rule is...no computers after 6pm. Obviously as he gets older the rules will adapt to his age, one thing is for sure tho, he will never have the internet in his room, even when he's a teenager.

He looks forward to his computer time, its still a treat for him, much the same if he has a Mcdonalds. Little and often, everything in moderation. He understands this already even at this young age.

One thing that concerns me is...the media and curriculum seem to be ramming this idea into our childrens heads, they all eat too much, they are all lazy, and obese. Many parents I have spoken to agree with me that it is TOO MUCH, these are children, they have young impressionable minds, we are in danger of raising a generation full of eating disorders!! My little boy says to me "I cant eat that it'll make me fat and I'll die" this is shocking and it breaks my heart!! MODERATION is the key!!!

Btw where are all these obese kids?? I dont see any more fat kids than were about when I was a kid! In fact, I was the fat kid when i was younger, yet I never touched a Mcdonalds or owned computers...go figure!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Britgirl

You dont have to be obese to be weak.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
It's up to the parents to make sure that their children are getting adequate exercise.

When our kids were at home, they were required to participate in something physical. I didn't care what kind of sport or activity they did as long as they got out and got some exercise on a pretty regular basis.

I also think that this goes a long way towards getting rid of the stress of everyday living.

Every day you need to laugh and sweat. Life is better that way.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420
Decline in grip strength?

Did they try to take the xbox controller away from them?

I assure you, grip strength they have...

LOL love it....

Atually who remembers that study not to long ago that said gaming actually improved hand-eye co-ordination and reaction times??

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77

Every day you need to laugh and sweat. Life is better that way.

Wisdom my friend...straight wisdom. Here is a star....

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

My son is not weak believe me!! He can throw a ball harder than most adults! Im not denying it happens, although is more likely to be due to not having the right vitamins and minerals whilst growing up than being on the computer....

This whole thread reminds me of a saying I heard recently.. "Funny how the the ones who criticise the next generation are the ones who raised them...."

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I think it all boils down to moderation and supervision. If you are not paying attention to your kids they will spend all day on the computer/ video games, I know mine try to, they will even sneak in form outside and try to be quiet to play games. I'm constantly kicking them off the computer/games to go out and play, we provide them with lots of outdoor toys/games only to be told they are bored! Why are they bored because they have a one track mind, to get on the computer/video games they obsess over electronics, if they don't have a keyboard or controller in their hands they have no clue what to do. Drives me NUTS! Mine know the rules one hour in the morning, one hour in the afternoon/evenings, they have the option to earn extra time for weekends but that rarely happens around here, no computer/games for the younger kids after 7 p.m. ( my almost 18year old takes care of that rule after 7p.m. is HER time on the computer for homework/socializing). This summer we are going to work on taking that grip from the controllers to the bloody lawn mowers and weed whippers!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join