It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can You Keep A Secret?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I just finished watching the new documentary on Area 51, which I found after clicking on this ATS thread. It's a pretty good find, so head on over and give the OP a star and a flag.

Whether you think that this show is disinfo or not - this is ATS after all, so I would expect nothing less
- is really beside the point of this thread. Whatever these men really did out there, I have to admire their "Loose lips sink ships" attitude. A couple of times in the documentary it was noted that "people don't always need to know." I think that this is true; there ARE some things that I would expect our government, or any government, to keep compartmentalized and labeled "Need to know" in the interest of national security.

Anyway, it got me to thinking: Could I keep a secret this big (working on top secret projects,) even from my wife? I'd like to say, "Yes I could keep my mouth shut - even from my wife - if what I was doing was going to save lives." That being said, I don't expect a knock on my door anytime soon because I will be the judge of what secrets to keep, according to my own sense of morality and my own conscience. I don't think I could ever go along with keeping things secret if, in MY judgement, it is going to cost the lives of innocent American citizens or endanger rather than enhance national security.

Take the Kennedy assassination for example: I'd spill the beans in a heartbeat if I knew who really killed JFK. The only people who could possibly be hurt would be the scumbags who ordered and carried out his death. I don't believe for one second that Oswald was a "lone gunman," and we are going to have to wait until 2035 for the files on his death to be declassified. They were scheduled to be released in 2015 I think, but I remember reading that the date for disclosure has been pushed back, probably because some of the people who had a hand in his murder are still alive.

On the other hand, if I had knowledge of a secret mission to, oh I don't know, assassinate Achmedinijad, or if I worked on a top secret weapon system, or if I somehow came into possession of the NOC list - under those circumstances, I would take the information to my grave, even under torture. And if I was tortured (everybody breaks at some point) I would do my best to provide DISinformation that would have no damaging effects in relation to the secret I held.

So what about you my dear fellow ATSers? Could YOU keep a secret no matter what the subject matter; would you be like me and insist on using your own judgment; or would you go Assange and release everything you could get your hands on because "people have the right to know" without regard for the consequences?

What say you?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/56b0323700c1.gif[/atsimg]

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Hiya OP!

Hey I reckon the only way to get someone to keep a secret is to threaten them with certain death if they don't. That is maybe how it is done??? Even that sometimes wont work, though; as we can atest to here at ATS (Above Top Secret), lol!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I know exactly what you mean! I often thought this myself. I don't think I could, it amazes to think that these so called secrets have been kept under wraps for this long. I can't think of anyone who could. There must be some kind of screening process to make sure only people with certain "personality types" are allowed into top secret projects. People maybe with no real family or loved ones, or people who pretty much live on the base and have connection to the outside world.

I know for sure I'd be one of those people on my deathbed like "Look under my floorboards, there you find all the files I have stowed away... tell the world!!!"

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
It takes quite a lot to get a security clearance, especially one that high. I had secret clearance in the Air Force, and trust me, they dig into your background big-time. They have their choice of individuals to pick to send to places like "Area 51." I am sure they would threaten them and their families for something that big...Especially if the oversight is small. I am sure the individuals working there and stationed there are relatively squeamish about saying anything...and once you leave the military, or if you're a civilian leaving contract work, you go through what's called debriefing.

I remember when I was getting my out-processing done in 2005, and that was one of the last items on the checklist I was supposed to complete. Of course I didn't really know anything that would interest anyone here, there is a sense of honor that comes with being in the military...what I mean is that it is not that hard to keep quiet. You have to remember that not many people who are involved in top secret projects are the types of people we have on the site. They make sure of that when digging through your past.

I would bet that a strong presence on a site like ATS would disqualify someone attempting to get a higher security clearance. So personally, having been in a similar situation, I don't think it is that hard to remain quiet.

My great-uncle was stationed at what used to be called Grey AFB in Texas, and he had a relatively high clearance, and to this day he still will not talk about what went on there...Even though I already know, he didn't say anything, just silently confirmed it. He won't say whether he was threatened or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
If they threatened my family, you betcha!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Who would WANT to work for someone if they threatened your family, BEFORE taking the job? I'd tell them to take their security clearance and shove it where the Sun doesn't shine. I don't need a job that friggin bad.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Who would WANT to work for someone if they threatened your family, BEFORE taking the job? I'd tell them to take their security clearance and shove it where the Sun doesn't shine. I don't need a job that friggin bad.

Exactly. Been fortunate enough to not have ever been in that position. I would imagine the threatening doesn't come in until you are already neck deep in it. I'm sure that's not standard pre-hire talk. Then there is the idea that it is all compartmentalized with only a handful of trusted people knowing the full project and everybody else just knowing about pieces of it.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Its like over here we have the official secrets act that anyone joining the armed forces or government bodies has to sign (just more severe)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

So what about you my dear fellow ATSers? Could YOU keep a secret no matter what the subject matter; would you be like me and insist on using your own judgment; or would you go Assange and release everything you could get your hands on because "people have the right to know" without regard for the consequences?

When signing a secrecy agreement, they make it pretty clear to you what the consequences are if violating it...so yeah, I can (and have) kept a secret.

Of course, I grew up in such a household. My father worked on classified projects since I was born. Never anything too out there (to my knowledge). I know he worked on the Raptor modifications when at Lockheed, but this was after the plane was public knowledge, for example.

Even for fairly minor clearances, they do background checks, psych evals, etc. to see if you are the kind of person who can be expected to keep quiet. That, and the threat of loss of livelihood and the threats of fines and time in Leavenworth or similar are usually enough to do it....

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Forget About It! I wouldn't be able to keep quiet. I will inform as many as possible in order to save as many lives as possible! LOL

By the way Old Corp, how's the next video coming along?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by makinit66
Forget About It! I wouldn't be able to keep quiet. I will inform as many as possible in order to save as many lives as possible! LOL

By the way Old Corp, how's the next video coming along?

Just out of curiosity, how would you make the decision that by releasing classified information you would be saving lives? That would be my motivation as well, or to prosecute criminal activity perpetrated by a government employee. IMO, the law is the law; just because you work for the government doesn't give you the right to break it. Obviously I would try to work through whatever chain of command was in place first; but if that doesn't work, it's whistleblower time.

As far as the videos, I have three in pre-production now. I'm still waiting on a key interview for the Elenin video, but that is all I'm going to say. Seems someone here took it upon themselves to throw obstacles in my way, so for now I'm keeping my cards closer to my chest. They forgot however, that I don't dissuade so easily. Improvise, adapt, and overcome: a Marine Corp mantra that has served me well in the past, and will insure the failure of anyone attempting to stand in my way as I search for the truth.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Well, maybe actually saving lives is a bit extreme, but I seriously cannot sit idly by while some jack-wagon has his way with things which affect John Q Public.

As the mother of a U.S.M.C. Reservist, I fully understand your determination and stance on the matter of the videos.
I know you will not disappoint.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I'll never be in a position to keep big secrets but I've always felt that it's my duty, whoever I've worked for, to be discreet and not 'tell tales' on my employer.

I'm paid for my discretion, as much as for any other part of my job, and if I'm willing to take the money then I have to be willing to keep quiet.

I feel strongly about this - anyone prepared to take the money ought to be prepared to do the job, whatever it entails.

I think someone started a thread here a little while ago in which they asked how a whistle blower would go about leaking information and ensuring it went to the right people and that it was believed when made public.

This is a big question - how would one decide who to tell and how to establish one's credibility?

There are a lot of things we'd all like to know, but there is this business of what is in the public interest and what is just of interest to the public.

Having said all of that, I can see that it's attitudes like mine that help to keep crooks in power. I don't think there's much doubt now that we're governed by people who don't have our best interests at heart, but they're so well entrenched it's hard to imagine how we'll ever shift them.

I honestly couldn't tell the good guys from the bad guys. How do I know that some of these politicians we hold in such contempt aren't really trying to serve all of us? It's more than feasible that their opposition has been clever enough to smear them so thoroughly they'll never be able to do an effective job.

I imagine these are thoughts familiar to anyone who has been entrusted with big secrets. Even without threats to their families, it's easy to see why they'd keep quiet. Unless you can really see the larger picture, how do you know that giving away a secret here and there wouldn't seriously jeopardise the way of life that you hold dear?

top topics

join