It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FACT CHECK: Netanyahu speech brushes over conflicting views of Mideast reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

JERUSALEM - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu gave an impassioned defence of his approach to peace during a speech to Congress on Tuesday. But the address reflected the world view of Israel's nationalistic right wing, one of several conflicting narratives that divide Israelis and Palestinians.

NETANYAHU: "You don't need to send American troops to Israel. We defend ourselves."

THE FACTS: Israel is a leading recipient of American foreign aid, including more than $1 billion in military assistance each year.

____

NETANYAHU: "In Judea and Samaria, the Jewish people are not foreign occupiers. We are not the British in India. We are not the Belgians in the Congo."

THE FACTS: While the West Bank, or Judea and Samaria, is promised to the Jewish people in the Bible, the international community considers the West Bank occupied territory. Israel captured the area in the 1967 Mideast war but has never annexed it. Its occupied status is underscored by the presence of tens of thousands of Israeli soldiers who protect Israeli settlements and control the movement of Palestinian residents in the name of security.

See more at the following:
ca.news.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Out of the whole speech this is what you chose to nitpick out? seriously?

If you would have watched the speech he acknowledged our aid to Israel repeatedly.......

And he did say SOLDIERS , not aid...........
edit on 24-5-2011 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-5-2011 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The way I see it.........

They attacked Israel, Israel won, they should be lucky Israel has given so many concessions as it is.

If someone did this to America, we would tell them tough, and for every cowardly attack on us the U.S would retaliate tenfold.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I was thoroughly impressed by him. I wish he was running for president here. That is what we need, a strong leader that has been there and done that. He makes Obama look like a junior high school kid hanging out with a college senior. Embarrassing really.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Whose views did you expect him to give? lol.

His speech was expected to give his views and I wanted to hear *his* views.

I thought it was a magnificent speech. It showed strength, dignity, RESOLVE, and a willingness to work with NATO, in trying to make peace in the area.

It made sense.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SadButTrue
The way I see it.........

They attacked Israel, Israel won, they should be lucky Israel has given so many concessions as it is.

If someone did this to America, we would tell them tough, and for every cowardly attack on us the U.S would retaliate tenfold.

What concessions are you talking about!??!?!??!?!?!??!?!??!?!?

Since '48, Palestinians have lost more then they've gained.

WHAT CONCESSIONS ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!??!?!?!??!?!

new topics

top topics

join