It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

vitamins

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Does anyone have a recommendation on multivitamins? I want to make sure I’m getting enough vitamins and minerals each day even when I’m in a rush and end up skipping meals so I figured I can start taking a multivitamin or using the veggie powder. There are so many of them out there it’s hard to find what would be the best since many have positive reviews. So, any suggestions on which to get?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Just get the cheap supermarket ones. I am pretty sure they are all the same.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kittendaydreamer

Its hard to recommend any without knowing your conditions. If you feel fine and have a healthy immune system, don't waste your money. If you are prone to colds I would recommend zinc and vitamin c obviously. However these are in very weak form in the off the shelf form, making sure noone overdoeses, so perhaps I would say that you should focus on making your diet as varied as possible, even if you skip meals this will have a much better effect for you than taking milligrams of rock every day. For your health though, eat plenty of protein, meat, fish, amino acids and vegetables... basicaly whatever is natural to eat and you will be fine

edit on 24-5-2011 by wackers90 because: Realised you probably arn't a dude so "hey dude" aint appropriate

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Liquid is definitely the way to go since your body will absorb it better than capsules/tablets.

iherb has a decent selection-
www.iherb.com...=1&sr=0

Use coupon code RIX869 to get $5 off.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kittendaydreamer

I am lucky enough to have a wonderful girlfriend that juices twice a day for me, everyday, but the best lazy option which I was on 2 years ago was liquid. Off the shelf liquid multi vitamin, shot or two taken daily. Source of Life has good products and is in the typical health food stores or vitamin mall shops.

Everyone has different needs, and what an iron deficient person would need would be different then someone lacking vitamin D. Research is key to finding key nutrients you would like or find you lack and then go out and look for a product that sells them. I did sublinguals for a long time with Vitamist, even though it was built on a scheme to sell vitamins they were good products as of 2-3 years ago. I find that sublinguals for hormones and water based vitamins works well enough to forgo the price, but in the end the liquid multi vitamin's shot a day and the ability to buy it locally when I ran out won out in the end of always ordering the Vitamist.

Today I would say, don't sell out your health and bring a banana, apple, and orange with you everyday to have as snacks, juicing increasing the goodness and the next step. I drink 20 ozs of a mixture of 7-8 fruits and veggies and get goosebumps every time. I do this throughout the day, usually 30-40 ozs daily. It is better than caffeine and a shock of electricity combined although it is a pain in the arse to clean the machine after you make it. Make sure your body can take it, the majority of people are not used to the concentrations of vitamins and minerals and will send you to the restroom in a hurry. My first wheat grass juicing morning is memorable to this day, (I am smiling thinking about it) baby steps though and 6 months you will be completely different.

I suggest you fill out a typical questionnaire about your health and keep it to look back on to remember you had a bad back, bad sleeping habits, headaches, depression or anything other possible health related issue. If you have problems now, see a doctor to make sure your idea are not over the top straight out of the gate.

I find recommended daily values are the starting point, but I am in my 30's and great health. I take multi B shots weekly, I eat more than double my values of fruits and veggies a day and eat NO processed food. If you are different then this than study a bit because although these are in all food we eat, the right combinations are key, and not overdosing!!!!!!! like turning blue on silver supplements, don't be that guy......
edit on 24-5-2011 by coolhanddan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Juicing or blending your own mixture of fruits and veggies does do wonders. I was on a raw food diet for about four months...it was great. Then work caught up and I ended up on a typical vegetarian diet. Still...there is one liquid supplement with the big bold words "RAW" on the label. I've tried it, and it is very good. The taste is less than...

I also take Reservatrol supplements.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Thanks for the info and links guys
no real health problems other than anxiety & depression & the medicines the doctors prescribed before did more harm than good so I stopped those and I've just come to accept that as a way of life for me.I just want to make sure I get enough vitamins for now.

A juicer would be nice but I have to save up for one of those and be able to have a constant supply of fruits and veggies. I am growing my own garden of veggies this year but they aren't ready yet. I have one bitty baby tomato so far so it will be a bit longer.It would be awesome to make my own low sodium v8.

In the past I've used natures way alive before but got the mango flavor *gag* (I don't like mangos)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I would just try and eat as many whole foods and animal products (organically, pasture raised) as you can. Most vitamin supplements are extremely inefficient. Many of them don't dissolve well in the stomach. If they do, they're not accompanied by other vitamins, minerals and fats that will increase absorption and uptake (e.g. Fat soluble vitamins A,D,E and K).

If i had to recommend any supplements...Vitamin D (although we're finding that the bioavailability of supplemental vitamin d may not do the trick) and magnesium (which affects calcium levels, so check with your doctor before supplementing).

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Vitamin D3 does real wonders for our body, if you are low it will take 3-4 months to build up, here in Australia the max dosage you find in supermarkets etc. is 1000UI which isnt enough to have effect, 5000-10,000UI a day is what you will need to build up. Some people say its harmful if you have such dose, but I have been taking 10,000UI capsules for about 2 months now with no problems. 10-20 minutes of proper sun exposure will give you 10,000-20,000UI alone anyway.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Not all vitamins are the same. Many of the cheap ones are made with binders, fillers, and are encapsulated in a pharma glaze that the body can't break down. Look for either a liquid or gel capsule. Just stick with the essentials if you have no health issues. Omega 3 from either Krill or Cod (just make sure its a cold water fish) is usually best when taken in liquid form. 2000IU's is a good amount of D3 for maintaining health. I take Garden of Life brand Raw D3 supplements. Other than that, a daily spoonful of 100% Pure virgin Coconut oil.

And..... eat well, be happy, and exercise exercise exercise.

You can take all the vitamins in the world and eat really well, but if you live a sedintary lifestyle, it wont matter.

Good luck!

new topics

top topics

join