It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PS3 Ethernet Connection Help Needed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Let me start by saying I am sorry for being such a networking dunce

I had my PS3 wired directly to my computer and I was successfully sharing my internet and was running TVersity for media streaming. Last night we had a power outage and now I get "unable to obtain IP address" when I try to connect to the internet on my PS3.

I was still able to run Tversity so I know my connection was workable but now in my fiddling I've lost that.
I get the dreaded 80130182 error.
I am feeling fairly clueless at this point.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Wires? What are wires?
All kidding aside, I'd try resetting your router even though it appears to be working.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

no router direct connection

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
you need to set up shared connection... dhc enabled on your comp manually input a ip address for your PS3 then go into settings on your ps3 and manually input ip address and the automaic dns you should be done after that
i actually don't remember if the network has even came bacl since the hack attack ....

but currently playstation network is down

us.playstation.com...
edit on 24-5-2011 by GodofWar411 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
well if you have some sort of modem or what not, can you reset that? In other words, do you have something you can unplug the power, then plug it back in?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by GodofWar411

the network's been up for about a week now. It could be down right now due to them bringing the store online. That was scheduled for today.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

i saw that yet the connection test says unable to get IP address
I think I should be able to test connection and have it fail at sign in if it was a PSN problem
but then I'm not sure

I did have the shared connection set up and streaming netflix fine. I went to assign the IP manually when it failed auto assign I had an IP address and a Subnet Mask to give it but it wanted gateway and dns I didnt know what to enter and it wouldn't let me proceed without those

I would like to start all over with a new shared connection but I am having trouble getting the old one to go away
need to go kidnap someone geeky than me
edit on 5/24/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
So are you running ethernet from a cable to your computer, than tethering your connection to the PS3 from the computer. In windows, I know there needs to be a network device created to allow this relay of a network.

The easy way to do it is run your network wizard in the control panel, again assuming windows. But the network can recognize devices in different ways, a power outage may have lost that data on your machine.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mathematic
So are you running ethernet from a cable to your computer, than tethering your connection to the PS3 from the computer. In windows, I know there needs to be a network device created to allow this relay of a network.

yes exactly.

thats what I was thinking just stat over with a new network connection but it wouldn't let me delete the old one

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
well if you have some sort of modem or what not, can you reset that? In other words, do you have something you can unplug the power, then plug it back in?

I've hard reset everything connected to this system several times. My modem is a cellular usb data card.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
Wires? What are wires?

I know I know I'm practically in the Stone Age here and I prolly should just go bang some rocks together I'm good at that

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

loading manual settings into the PS3 did work to get an IP address. once i got a connection from the PS3 manually I went back to automatic and it worked normally.
good instructions here:
configure PS3 for static IP

but in addition my modem was dropped from the network connections list in XP. I installed a pretend standard modem then removed it and rebooted windows to get the original modem to appear in the network connections. once I ICS'd the modem again internet connection was restored to PS3

thanks for the help

new topics

top topics

join