It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media Silence, Reason for Concern

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+104 more 
posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I'm skimming the MSM news outlets lately, and I have been having this ominous feeling. There is a total meltdown of a reactor in Japan, a volcano eruption that could effect the atmosphere for centuries, massive flooding of farmland and crops down the Mississippi, a complete and utter failure of "Qantitative Easing", soaring unemployment that is between 9%-20%+ depending on the source, a government spending past it's legal means, a debt that is so large it's impossible to comprehend, a middle east that is looking more and more grave, Israel on the ropes, a President who's legitimacy is in question while he starts his re-election campaign, a vile onslaught against our Bill of Rights through the TSA,Threat Fusion Centers and other organizations, a border that is becoming more and more dangerous each day, and the list goes on and on.

I can't seem to find any solutions from Washington D.C., the MSM, or anyone for that matter. Even fringe activists like Alex Jones point out the problems, but lack any real solutions. I'm getting this feeling lately that we are living in 1984'esque times more than we all really want to admit or believe.

Wilson thought he was rebelling, and people who listen to Glenn Beck and Alex Jones probably do to, but the less you ultimately learn from that story is that in the end, your rebellion is calculated and sated by the other side, if not just outright punished.

Think about what's going on. We're sending attack helicopters to Libya, and the government tells us it's not a war. We are one lazy, freedomless people. We deserve everything we get, and I'm beginning to realize that we will never truly "wake up" or act on our ideas.

We are just another side of the same proletariat, thinking we are free in our minds at least, when in reality we are nothing more than rats in a maze.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I Agree, maybe we are disaster tired? Advertisers won't pay for being around disaster airtime anymore?

Normally just one of those disasters alone (in a western society) would generate large worldwide media attention and promises of aid..

It seems like "every man for its own" has started..

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I hear you man. It's really sad that the mainstream media doesn't want to cover this kind of stuff, even though I would consider these the real issues. I've been trying to spread the anti-globalist small government message to all of my friends and family but it seems like they've either lost faith in the government and media already, or they're too caught up in reality television and sports.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Do you expect any different? What we get on tv and news is what is profitable for the news outlet.

Who won the last American Idol, whats the next big MMA fight or which club has the best stripper pole is more of a concern for the average moron these days....why would they tell us what's going on in the world?

We only get what we want and I don't see anyone asking for better journalism...except ATS anyway.

But we do it better and faster here on ATS anyway!
edit on 24-5-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: add comment

+11 more 
link   
great post! We don't need Alex Jones, we need Tyler Durden!

link   
I would say the lack of media coverage is probably due to TPTB restricting what they are allowed to broadcast or report

link   
I agree with you 100%.. I know it's horrible... You know it's horrible... But now what?... We are nothing but hopeless debt slaves with no true purpose or place.. But that's my opinion and I'm fairly cynical, paranoid. etc.

S&F OP!!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I looked a documentary the other day About the campain of Ron P. for president.. amazing! Not argumenting about his views, but if you see how that campaign had a LARGE grassroot support, but was killed by MSN...

It makes you think how to penetrate REAL change in the system?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

Understood and I agree totally. We have no freedom nor are we willing to fight for it. As long as we have our fast food and cable TV we dont care about what is really going on. We have been bred to be slaves and sadly, most are happy with that life style. I, for one, am not..but even in my most desperate mindset, I have no answers either. I fear this is one wave we will have to ride out until it crashes around us. Drowning us all. Wow...such a downer I am today.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I usually browse Msnbc.com, and they seem to be doing an OK job at reporting everything you just mentioned.

They aren't covering Fukushima anymore, though, and they aren't making a big deal about the DOW being under 12500 yet again... (12500 was hailed as the mark of "leaving the recession" of 2008 behind).

But, all in all I think msnbc does a decent job. I wouldn't trust CNN or Fox, though.

Cheers,
Cody

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I agree wholeheartedly.
You remember the song by the Jam : "Going Underground" There's a telling line there :
'The public gets what the public wants'
Trouble today is that the sheeple want what they are TOLD to want.

mclinking

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
you are spot on OP. S&F

Just last nite I was discussing with my 9 year old about possible current event topics for her class at school. We talked about a number of things and decided that an update on the goings on in Japan and the nuclear disaster would be a good one as it is having an effect on the planet... on to the net we went checking out "news sites"... not a peep/nada/nothing (unless you include ATS).

Considering the severity of the situation there, I was stunned... and the reality as you have pointed out is that is how it is now. If it's news with substance that you may not like, good luck finding it.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkATi

I was going to say you should open your mind and check other news sites but I guess you do as you are here.

MSNBC does a decent job at giving me aneurysms. Entirely too left leaning (and they admit it) and mind in the sky trope. I can stand Morning Joe and that’s about it until Mika opens her yap.

I do like Shep Smith. He seems to one of the few who doesn’t toe the MSM line and will leave space in his broadcast for a sense of humor, ie; Bear Alert and Plant Blogo.

CNN?, meh. Not a relevant organization anymore IMO. As for the Big Four, I only watch the local news.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Interesting if you research the following fact

The % of one particular, race of people and society who are CEO's or Owners of or Chief Editor Director of about 80-90% of ALL Media Companies, Thats Print, Film, News, yada yada.

Have a google who is it?

I watch Al Jazeera and taking into account the slant to blance it see very differant news :-) wonder why that is?

Elf

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
what goes on the TV is determined by the highest bidders and their staffs.

just watch the national commercials.

then you will see WHO dictates content.

+1 more 
posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

Well, there are solutions. The solutions take brutal honesty and strong leadership. We don't have either one in our current Congress, Administration, or MSM.

Here is my solution for immigration and borders.
That is an old thread, and my opinion and plan is somewhat more evolved and developed now, but the premise is still very similar to that.

We can't control natural disasters, but we can help a lot with tort reform, limiting frivolous lawsuits, helping get more rescuers and volunteers on the ground after a disaster. We can also invest money into infrastructure and technology and upgrade our domestic situation instead of bailing out international corporations and failing business plans. I think Obama mentioned some of that stuff in his campaign, but he quickly switched to the dark side and paid off the corporations instead.

We can do away with many stupid criminal laws that don't have a clear victim, like consenting prostitution and a popular herb. We could tax those industries and divert the law enforcement power to real crimes.

We could fix the tax code to make it short, simple, and fair. There are several plans out there that would be acceptable to me. A Flat Tax for everything over $30k would be decent. The so-called "Fair Tax" would be ok. The "Consumption Tax" or basically a National Sales Tax would be ok. As long as it is simple to interpret, hard to dodge, and everyone pays.

We could fix healthcare and insurance industries by fixing tort reform, subsidizing research and making more drugs and treatments available faster and cheaper, and controlling the costs of healthcare. This would bring everyone's costs down, get rid of the fraudulent and dishonest industry it has become, and putting more responsibility for treatment options in the hands of patients and doctors.

We could let bad businesses fail. Sure, it will create unemployment temporarily, but it will also reduce the supply side of the equation, and create an environment that fosters innovation and creativity. Remember the old adage, "innovation is born out of necessity."????? When we save the failing businesses, we remove necessity and kill the innovation. Imagine if all those GM workers hit the streets with their years of experience and ideas, and they found a few dozen start up companies willing to put them to work? Instead of encumbering future generations with taxes, instead we would have a dozen budding businesses with new ideas and new products and new opportunities for the next generation! The same goes for banks. Let their chickens come home to roost. They were fraudulent and deceptive and they should be bankrupt.

We could fix Education by realizing not everyone is going to be a Doctor or Lawyer or Engineer. Not everyone needs Calculus or French class. Widen the parameters of instruction, let some people become excellent in some other field like welding or automechanics or plumbing. Let the academics excel in academics and let the others excel in something that fits their unique skillset. Stop educating to the masses and start educating at a state and local level to the individual. Teach Civics! Teach more World history, and literature, and geography!

We could fix racism by stopping all special agendas and projects and just enforcing the anti-discrimination laws. Prosecute those people that clearly make judgements based on color of skin, but stop requiring quotas and affirmative action. HUD and Real Estate professionals actually have a pretty good handle on this, other industries could emulate their policies and laws.

There are solutions, but they are not always politically correct, they are not painless, they are not easy, and they won't necessarily be popular, but we need leaders that are willing to speak the truth and promote the ideas that may not be popular, but at least they are logical and sensical, and doable!!

Please feel free to add, polish, streamline, or point out the glaring problems with that "platform" because I might just use it in the near future!!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

That was a great post ..i agree almost with everything ..you should be in the next cabinet of Ron Paul in the White House

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I like how you hit on so much so quickly. Yes, there is a breakdown of society, humanity, nature, and the systems in place because of it and we are all about to go boom in one way or another. It does suck being the rats in the maze but some of us are a bit more than that and I feel that because of this reason there is a mass awakening happening. Nothing can come from nothing so momentum is key for us to come out of this. I feel like the OBL death is just one of the set ups from TPTB to kill any momentum the awakening has and shift back the power to the masses of brain-dead sheeple.

Anyways, could go on and on but yeah I see the media silence too and we should ALL BE VERY CONCERNED....

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I just watched the BBC news in UK. I haven't watched TV for about a year, but a friend was visiting and wanted to see the news. I was honestly shocked at the ridiculous, propagandist, inane reporting of the Obama visit. The reporters went on endlessly about the 'special relationship' and how it's now being called the 'essential relationship'. It was truly sickening and would be more appropriate in a nursery school playground than on a TV news channel with adults as a target audience. Then they reported on Netanyahu's visit to US. More of the same. I had to stop watching it af that point, just didn't want to hear any more of their nonsensical drivel. It's nauseating.

Apart from the fact that it's all such an obvious pantomime, the thing that struck me is how the news constantly reinforces the authority of those in positions of power - and people have these messages hammered into their brain for several hours each day. I honestly don't know what the answer is, except to encourage more and more people to read the alternative news sites, and SWITCH OFF THE TV!

edit on 24-5-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Considering all that you stated at the commencement of your thread - IT IS ALL TRUE - furthermore it is also true that everyone but the Media are talking about these things.

But the bigger question is - WHY aren't they doing anything about it or at least why isn't somebody doing something.

I myself am beginning to really consider this and seriously consider that - NONE OF THESE THINGS MATTER IF A COMET IS ABOUT TO HIT.

They go under their bunkers and we continue wondering what has hit us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join