It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Independence day"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I often think about this

Of all the reports of UFO's, most appear to be saucer shaped and small, but there are a few (The Phoenix lights) in which people describe seeing "Large" UFO's flying slowly over areas.

To quote from CNN's story on the phoenix lights...

Tim Ley said that when the right side of what appeared to be a giant V-shaped craft passed directly over him, the left side was a couple of blocks away.

Now, assuming that's true, how plausible do you think it'd be for aliens to create spaceships the size of the ones out of Independence day?

With that taken into account and the sheer height, length and depth of those ships, it makes you wonder how feasible a weapon of mass destruction would be as demonstrated in that film.

And what about the shields in that film? They could withstand missiles and nukes, I wonder if the same technology could be applied
I'm sure a ship of 15 miles in diameter could house a really large power source, not to mention areas for fighter bays and whatnot.

So what's everyone's thoughts?

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 07:31 AM
link   
We'd be dead...and that virus thing...odds are...wont walk...my norton woulda been able to detect that...

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by BasementAddix
We'd be dead...and that virus thing...odds are...wont walk...my norton woulda been able to detect that...

Roflmao, yeah :p

Anyways, if an 'independence day" scenario would happen, most of human kind would be goners.

There would be a good chance of survival for people in secluded area's though.
They would be tasked to keep the human race alive.

But the rest of us, living in populated area's, we'd be toast for sure.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   
the way i see it, if an alien race has the power to travel across the galaxy, they obviously have weaponry and defense systems that surpass our puny a$$ weapons and defense. i also doubt that they can be taken down by a mear computer virus as well.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deimos
...how plausible do you think it'd be for aliens to create spaceships the size of the ones out of Independence day?

At this point in time, you can safely assume that if they got _here_, we are still primitive in comparison.

Originally posted by Deimos
And what about the shields in that film? They could withstand missiles and nukes,...

That's doubtfull, the area near the center of a nuclear detonation is really hot. Instead, they could just detect the missile, scoot a million miles away into space, and return afterwards...

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   

the way i see it, if an alien race has the power to travel across the galaxy, they obviously have weaponry and defense systems that surpass our puny a$$ weapons and defense. i also doubt that they can be taken down by a mear computer virus as well.

I disagree, they may not have devoted the same fervor to developing weapons. Also, "primitive" as our weapons may be, they still hold power enough to destroy the planet, and that's not exactly chicken scratch....

As for the virus...well, that was one of the plot holes now wasn't it? We can't even get Mac to talk to IBM well, yet a cable repairman can get it to uplink to an alien computer system....
Say it with me now...it was a MOVIE....

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Agreed, but I still think it was a great film

Special F/X were good at least

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Since we're talking about movies as reality, which probably isn't the best thing in the world I figure I'll chuck my two cents in.

Electricity and energy no matter how it is produced is still electricity.

One would think the massive EMP from a nuclear weapon would disable any electrical system in the immediate vicinity human or alien technology.

Force fields don't work when ya got no power and a force field wouldn't stop the emp from having a very bad effect.

IMO of course and considering anytime you compare reality to movies opinions are everything

Spiderj

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   

As for the virus...well, that was one of the plot holes now wasn't it? We can't even get Mac to talk to IBM well, yet a cable repairman can get it to uplink to an alien computer system....

It's no wonder the aliens in "Indpependence Day" lost their home planet... they were using Macintoshes!
Really, I almost walked out of the movie after that...

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I disagree, they may not have devoted the same fervor to developing weapons. Also, "primitive" as our weapons may be, they still hold power enough to destroy the planet, and that's not exactly chicken scratch....

I agree most other races might not be as crazy as humans are. A alien race could have rid themselves of weapons hundred of years ago. That might be why aliens would be interested in earth maybe they are watching to make sure we dont spread our war like ways into the universe becoming a threat to them.

Thats one reason I think alien tech could be really dangerous in our hands right now. We could take something aliens would use as only a power source say anti-matter. Some human is going to say hey a kilo gram of this stuff equals 46 Mega Tons of explosives lets make a bomb.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
You want paranoia? Step right up - I'll give it to you in spades.

I can visualise a pseudo-alien invasion scenario being dreamed up by

new topics

top topics

join