It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A minimalist BOB

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I have seen plenty of threads on ATS of people saying what they carry in their BOB, but often these are lists that are not strictly necessary. If you would narrow the content of your BOB down to some 20-25 items, what would you deem most important? The reason I'm asking this, is because it seems important to me to be highly mobile, especially when leaving an urban area and having little experience in surviving. Yes, I'm talking about staying alive if the economy would collapse.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Real basics, and i mean the absolute bare minimum..

water bottle
knife
boots and socks
good cotton clothes and a waterproof jacket
fire starter (striker type )
a map and compass
a bag to put it in.

the rest is icing on the cake.
edit on 24-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Sure some could even go without a bob...but some cannot...it all depends on how often you travel awaay from home.
If you only have a couple of miles to get home...then you could probably do without one...however there are those that are 20 miles up to 1000 miles from home. the situation for each is different...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Berkey Sport water bottle.
Pocket knife
Wear layered clothing - extra pair of socks.
Hand gun w/ 1 box of rounds.
Advil
1roll of TP and some sanitary wipes.
Whatever room is left in my backpack - fill with food!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
mine has water, lighter, canned food, energy bars, rope, mini first aid kit, tylenol, a blowup matress(if i have to sleep outside or anywhere with no bed)

literally my bag is just to grab and run out the door if i ever need it like that for a week or so.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
heres a thought for you...you wanna go with minimal items...thats fine...now imagine that what is happening has/is happening at your house....now what? You cannot get to your house from your work and now you have minimal things to survive on.
Murphy's law is always in effect...and even more of a factor in a stressful situation.
Just food for thought.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I agree i see everyones BOB and i think it is way to much. I want to be mobile with my BOB. I will not take what i cannot carry comfortably. Honestly i dont even have much right now. Just a few of the important items i will need. My handgun, bullets, Some decent camo gear and a few little things. The rest i will have to rely on my scavenging skills (which i am pretty good at anyways) I may not have much but i bet it will be enough for me to be able to get my horse and make my way to my mountain cottage in BC Canada. When i get there i will be able to hunt for my food and survive pretty well. I know it sounds bad but i kinda want something big to happen. Put a little excitement in our lives.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

20-25 items is more than enough options generally speaking, but here's one you may not hear often. Unscented baby wipes. One or two packs of this and a few days 'in the field' and you will be so grateful that you brought them, trust me on this one.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
20-25 items can still make a sufficient B.O.B. for the short term. Items you want to focus on are ones that you can procure additional supplies from and, high quality items that will stand the test of time vs. cheaper items that will need replacement.

When I say procure additional supplies, I mean those that nature provides vs. manufactured items.

-Machete or hatchet for firewood, path clearing, building shelter etc.
-Quality fixed blade knife and a leatherman or similar multitool.
-At least two firearms (minimum) .22lr for small game and even large game if you are a great shot. And a high quality sidearm for personal defense. (I prefer the 9mm) Others will tell you to go higher caliber .40, .45, .357...again I say minimum of 2.
-Ammunition!!!
-Fire starter's (plural) Pack of Bic lighters, magnesium fire starter or flint. Gather lint in a plastic bag from your drier for tinder.
-Water purification-pump, tabs (whatever $$ allows, can get pricey)
- Extra pairs of socks (cotton)
- Extra pair of pants
- Waterproof Parka
- Tarp, consider bringing two, one for shelter the other for gathering water.
- Paracord
- First Aid kit

The list goes on...a tent would be optimal for early shelter, but wont fit in your Pack. Depending on your party, find a small, lightweight tent, w/ high ratings...$60-$100 range should be sufficient. If not understand that you will be spending some time creating a shelter, if you do not have a tent consider bringing two tarps, one large, one medium. If you have limited survival knowledge, packing some additional food items (jerky, granola, oats) will go along way.

edit on 5/24/2011 by TheRealTruth84 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
A can of Top tobacco and 200 rolling papers are along side my lighter...not really an essential but doesn't take up much space and light too. I figure what the heck...might come a time when a smoke is the last enjoyable thing I get to have when SHTF. I can't be the only one with such a thing, at least I would hope not, otherwise I am going to feel dumb.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
-small water filter (you won't want to carry the bottles of water, they get heavy)
-first aid kit
-waterproof matches or other way of starting a fire
-knife sharp enough to cut back brush/vegetation if needed (machete, hatchet)
-knife for food purposes (fillet knife for fish, hunting knife for small game)
-firearm of choice with ammunition
-tarp for shelter
-maybe a 2nd tarp for water-gathering (or several tarps, for multiple spots of water gathering)
-folding fishing pole w/lures
-map/compass, or a gps if you have one but if the power's out you're screwed once it runs down.
-a bag to carry it all in!

to minimize the space you use in the bag, consider wearing layers of clothes. extra socks, extra undies, a poncho, etc will take up room in a bag, especially after it's been unfolded/worn (I can never fold stuff up like when I bought it)
edit on 24-5-2011 by Vanna because: a bucket won't fit in a bag

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRealTruth84

I like the idea of saving dryer lint for tinder. I hadn't thought of that. God knows we make enough of it in my household.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanna

Real cotton wool balls work great and a huge bag is like $2
just tease a bit out of a ball and away you go.
lights straight off the striker no problem
and you can get like 5 fires going from one ball of cotton wall.
you dont need the whole ball.
but yes lint works as well.
and cotton char cloth is ok, but why go to the effort when cotton wool works so well.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I think most folks that have been in the game since the 80s or 90s have an INCB bag. They have also learned to ration pounds per task and then shave ounces from every task as newer quality products are available to do so.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltdog
heres a thought for you...you wanna go with minimal items...thats fine...now imagine that what is happening has/is happening at your house....now what? You cannot get to your house from your work and now you have minimal things to survive on.
Murphy's law is always in effect...and even more of a factor in a stressful situation.
Just food for thought.

excellent question.
depending on how much you know how quickly, i'd honestly steal a backpack and run for the closest store,
even if you don't have anything, depending on the situation you could make the best of it.
this is assuming I can't get to my own bag, or i'm not with my friends. both of which already seem unlikely to me.

but I don't believe SHTF will be instantaneous. I believe it will buildup with signs of each level of escalation, leaving ample warning to get out with everything you need. but in the event of a quick SHTF, then I have plan A, and B.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sprocket2cog
reply to post by Vanna

and cotton char cloth is ok, but why go to the effort when cotton wool works so well.

Usually you hear about the folks who make char cloth to do so to use in fire pistons. For under $100 you can get one finely machined enough to use decaying wood. Cheaper ones around $40.

www.youtube.com...

Make one yourself....probably less than 5-10 dollars.

edit on 24-5-2011 by Shadowalker because: spelling

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

Yes, your right , i did look at fire pistons a while ago, but i ended up getting a striker set instead..
but yes ive seen the videos and such on making your own,
thanks for reminding me though i had forgotten about them

I might make one just for the hell of it

I used to teach survival to cub scouts here in Oz
But its so hard on here, everyone has there own ideas about whats needed etc, but you know how it goes..
I have alot of gear for minimal hiking, light weight expensive stuff (you know the sort of stuff)
Have you seen the vango titanium stoves ?
burns methylated spirts (denatured alcohol) very light weight piece of kit and fuels cheap and easy to find.
weighs only 1.0 oz.
i have one great for minimal light weight camping.
www.vargooutdoors.com...

travel well.(and light)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sprocket2cog

That's just what I have been looking for. Big Thanks! I normally carry an optima #99 but have been playing around with the crappy pop can and super cat versions for when noise and smoke are bad ideas. When your remote the #99 jet engine is ok, but trying to keep quiet....not so much.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Extra set of clothes me+1 (warm socks, pants, sweater etc)
Small first aid kit
Water
Energy bars
Photocopy of indentification and important documents
Map
Diapers
Wipes
Small bottle of bleach (cleaning water)
Lighter
edit on 24-5-2011 by inanna1234 because: (no reason given)

Small Tools
List of emergency numbers (out of town relatives), Lists of places to go depending on scenrio
edit on 24-5-2011 by inanna1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Minimalist bob ok I can do that.
1. socks 3 pairs no exceptions, socks can and will save your tush. ask anyone ever in the infantry.
2. small knife
3. large knife or axe, I prefer knife.
4. handgun and holster 9mm 40 45 but a man stopper not a 22.
5. 22 rifle small but quiet and will do the job if need be.
6. US GI pancho also doubles as ground cover or a tent.
7. cookpot something to boil a couple of cups aluminum.(alzheimers is the last thing to worry about in a shtf)
8. BIC lighter still made in the US and is worth about 20 boxes of matches even if wet.
9. food 3 days or 3 pouches food freeze dried long term storage.
10. water bottle filled.
11. duct tape re wrap around a credit card for size reduction.
12. space blaket one of the foil ones
13. sleeping bag
14. 2 person tent if alone most comfortable, if you find chicks along the way cramped but fun.

15.fishing line and a few hooks.
16. sewing needle and thread. clothes wounds Etc.
17.jacket medium weight if it is too cold you gonna die anyway.
18. compass
19. multitool is more than just a knife it is a shtf toolkit.
20. last but certainly not least, in fact the most valuable piece to the bob, Your Dog.
He/She is a valuable companion that you can talk to, is an excellent guard (better senses than us) and will keep you warm.
Plus a dog would die for its human without a thought.
That's the quick bob, hope it helps
Note: 500 rounds for the 22 would last you a lifetime and only weighs 3.5 lbs
Handgun should only have 3 mags in all and loaded to capacity.
The hangun is your chips are down last resort so firing that will be hopefully never needed.
If you have to bug out chances are red dawn type shtf and you will be silent away from civilization living like a monk only taking what is needed so no rambo stuff as you wouldn't last long.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join