It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bayer the pharmaceutical giant made Heroin!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 06:19 AM
link   
The german company was looking for a cough suppressant. So the companys chemists approached Bayer with the drug ASA to be sold under the name of 'Asprin'. However the head was more interested in something else the chemists had produced; Diacetylmorphine. Using the trade name "Heroin", because it made early testers feel heroic, the drug was shipped by the truckload starting in 1898. By 1899 Bayer were producing about a ton of heroin a year exporting to 23 different countries. Including the U.S where is was available over the counter, just as asprin is today. The Americal Medical Association gave heroin their stamp of approval in 1907.

However cases of addiction started to emerge in 1899, and within the next few years it has esculated to intollerable proportions. Bayer had release asprin the following year, which became the most popular drug ever, and they wisely got out of the heroin bussiness by 1913.

Its kind of funny why they don't mention this anywhere on thier website!
www.bayer.com

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 06:20 AM
link   
here is an early poster:

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 06:37 AM
link   
It was actually methedone that they made.

Unless I am thinking iof another German company.

BUt, Methedone was made for head aches and other pain relief but as people were getting addicted it was shelved.

Suddenly everyone is on smack anyway and knowing that Meth is opiate based it is used to help bring people of smack.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Bayer are the patent holders for heroine.
Somehow i don't think they're proud of that fact anymore since heroine has been moved (by the great propaganda controller) from the medicine (good) pidgeonhole to the Drug (bad) pidgeon hole.

Having said that its all just an opium derivitive, and the british empire was the biggest trader in poppy juice. Its like calling Coca-Cola, Pepsi just to compete.

[edit on 4/8/2004 by Corinthas]

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Heroin was actually made in an approach to help people suffering from tuberculosis. People with TB can literally cough themselves to death. The coughing can reach a point where it cannot be controlled and people would die from the exhaustion caused by constant coughing. Heroin would relax the person so they would cease coughing. Unfortunately it was too strong a narcotic and caused addiction.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   
No wonder my headaches go away so quickly...and the colors man the colors....I can fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jumps out wind'oh!

Spiderj

Who owns the patent on Crack?

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Actually Heroin meteabs to morphine in the blood stream. Most illicit drugs have had pharma aplications at one ime or another. Cocaine is still used for various nose bleeding issues.

Methadone is still used for pain controll and for weaning ICU patients who have been on pain controll meds for an extended period and remain dependant.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I was under the impression that Heroin is more commonly known in the medical world as "Diamorphine" and is still given to patients as a hardcore pain killer

d1k

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Thanks for the post superduperman. I did not know this, you learn something new everyday.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
And CocaCola used to put coc aine in their drink........

And mdma used to be legal and presribed by psychologists.

I wish I lived back then...

Not to mention major artists and brainiacs used mdma mushrooms and coc aine.

source: underground education book

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
In organic chemistry I was informed that heroine was intended to be a safer, less addictive drug than morphine. It was to help wounded Civil War veterans get off their morphine addictions and to prevent such cases from happening again.

[edit on 8/6/2004 by Tanin]

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I believe that Methadone was made by Nazi sceintists, as a subsitute pain killer, since it is synthetic based and nearing the end of the war they had all but run out of morphine

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I've heard about this before...From what I recall, Bayer is not ashamed to admit it, but it's not exactly the best thing for PR, so why would they want to put it on their website if they know some mother who has a kid with a broken leg is looking online for the best pain reliever....I imagine they'd buy another one if that was proudly displayed on their site...but I know that's not really what you mean - just that it would be somewhere on there.

It's just all a part of how we learn our coping factors in society...we experiement and test things for their potency and effects - when we learn them we modify or eliminate....just a part of early pharmaceutical experimentation.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
And CocaCola used to put coc aine in their drink........

Coca plant and Kola nuts

new topics

top topics

join