It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Historic Severe Outbreak Forecasted To Affect 80 Million In Metros (More Tornadoes Today)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
From Accuweather.com...

May 24, 2011; 11:51 AM ET

If you tried to draw a severe weather threat map over most of the population of the Eastern U.S., you couldn't do much better than this. One worry everyone seems to have this year (and for good reason in a Spring with record tornado deaths) is: Will my city be hit by a tornado? It seems to be happening a lot lately.*

As you can see from the map above, which shows cities in black, nearly every major metropolitan area in the heart (and east coast) of the country is under a severe thunderstorm threat today. I tabulated the major metropolitan centers only, and came up with a number of 70 million city folks who are in the Slight Risk area, with 11.5 million in the Moderate or High Risk areas (where tornadoes are most likely to occur).

Although storms could pop up any time now, the most severe will fire in Oklahoma mid-afternoon and spread eastward. Here's one computer forecast model's estimate of what the radar will look like late in the evening:

Mike Smith says "[The 45% chance of tornado] level is reached in a forecast only once every five to ten years." The widespread distribution of this potential outbreak, combined with the large number of people affected, makes a historic outbreak likely today. And tomorrow will have 23.7 million in the Slight and 5.7 million in at least a Moderate. That's a total of over 17 million people in a tornado threat during the two days! If there were ever a time that people in the city need to prepare, it's now.

Preparation is simple, as Henry said in his video today. Know where your evacuation area is where you'll be during the day and night, and know where your family should meet if a tornado strikes your city and cuts off roads.

*While the true cause of the unusually deadly Spring is undetermined, my opinion is that it is likely a combination of unusually strong tornadoes due to La Nina, and increasing population in these areas. These types of outbreaks have probably happened before (although it may have been more than 50 years), so it's likely not Climate Change.

This stuff is getting crazy.. As if mid april wasn't bad enough.. Link to source...

From The Weather Channel...

Classic Plains Tornado Outbreak Ingredients
by Jonathan Erdman, Sr. Meteorologist
Updated: May 24, 2011 2:30 pm ET

Sadly, given the events in Joplin, Mo. and Minneapolis this past weekend, we are not through with severe weather this week. Not by a longshot. The ingredients are in place for a classic Plains tornado outbreak Tuesday. First, we have a screencast discussing how this setup compares to the infamous May 3, 1999 tornado outbreak. Then, we'll highlight the area of greatest risk, then step through why this is the case.

edit on 24-5-2011 by rstregooski because: link

edit on 24-5-2011 by rstregooski because: nothing

edit on 24-5-2011 by rstregooski because: title

edit on 24-5-2011 by rstregooski because: content

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by rstregooski

yellow and green highlighted is always a possibility so i would not get to hysterical for those in the upper northeast as hurricane season always brings some storms....clearly if you are in the red things are not looking to good...I'm not making light of the post just putting some perspective around the colors...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Why is everyone making a big deal out of this? Its storm season. This happens every year ask anyone who lives in tornado alley.

+1 more 
posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by karileigh77
Why is everyone making a big deal out of this? Its storm season. This happens every year ask anyone who lives in tornado alley.

It's been way more brutal this year than the previous years before.

Ask anyone who lives in tornado alley.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I grew up in Oklahoma where people sit on their roof and drink beer while they watch the 'naders blow by. Unfortunately I don't think that's going to be how they are this year, and I hope my parents are still super paranoid when it comes to storms...I am not with them right now and don't want to be one of the ones that lose family in this ridiculously strong storm season. Prayers to everyone, and I mean everyone, who may be hit, I hope this slows down!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Im in tornado alley.Everyone knows there is always a chance of a tornado .This just happens to be a busy year for them.Its nothing new.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Weather experts said it’s unusual for deadly tornadoes to develop a few weeks apart in the U.S. But what made the two storm systems that barreled through a Missouri city and the South within the last month so rare is that tornadoes took direct aim at populated areas.

The tornado that hit Joplin, Mo., on Sunday killed at least 117 people and marked the nation’s deadliest single tornado in almost six decades. The series of twisters that swept through the South late last month killed more than 300 people. Both disasters leveled entire communities.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Glad to be in a green zone at least, my prayers are out to the people in the midwest with all that flooding.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

WTF does this mean! I actually may have to deal with a tornado? GTFO!
but

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Im in tornado alley.Everyone knows there is always a chance of a tornado .This just happens to be a busy year for them.Its nothing new.

Italians in Naples, Italy actually live on an active volcano.

Do you, I say

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
This is the current radar out there.. I already heard of a second hand report of one of these already killing 17 people. It's pretty bad..

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Here are some live links:

www.kfor.com...

www.tornadoalleylive.com...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Broadcast says H. E. Turnpike very dangerous area -

Multiple Tornados have hit Oklahoma.

BREAKING: Tornado hits west Oklahoma
www.abc15.com...

Live Broadcast

livewire.koco.com...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Tornado in Oklahoma,

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8907bdde804d.jpg[/atsimg]

yfrog.com...

El Reno OK - Semi overturned -
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e2ad0d316926.jpg[/atsimg]
twitpic.com...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I was at my neighbors 30 minutes ago when they broke live to the tornado ravining Oklahoma. They had footage from the storm chasers and you could see a huge wooden telephone pole effortlessly get sucked out of the ground and sail over the van. Other footage showed several mangled poles just floating in front of the fan, very surreal.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverado292

Well Opera 11.11 still hasn't made posting on ats easier I meant ravaging

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by prolific

It's been way more brutal this year than the previous years before.

Ask anyone who lives in tornado alley.

I agree. I grew up in Wichita KS.....if anyone knows tornados, a Kansan definately does...

This is not the run of the mill.......

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
A tornado in Canton, Okla., formed on air Tuesday afternoon
while broadcasted on News.

www.youtube.com...

Footage from chopper 5/24/11 - Canton OK

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

BREAKING: Sadly, injuries and deaths have been reported with the #tornado near El Reno, #Oklahoma earlier. #OKWX Follow 4 updates
Read more: livewire.koco.com...

Half-mile wide tornado heading into Newcastle, OK. "Get out of its way now, you have two minutes," says KFOR meteorologist.

edit on 24-5-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Tornado near Piedmont, Oklahoma

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Having been through more than one tornado myself I can say it's incredibly frightening, especially when the power goes out and you have no radio.. I've never seen anything near an EF-4 or 5 though, I can only imagine.. Hopefully the densely populated areas will be spared.

This has got to be the worst year for tornadoes since the 1920's outbreak.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join