It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Three weeks without a smoke...

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Its been very hard, and it sucks. The cravings are killing me. Everytime I drive by a circle K, etc. I want to stop, but decide not to. Been going through bags of sunflower seeds to calm the cravings...




posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes
 


Well done, the first few weeks are the worst but once you get past that hump it will get easier. I've battled the sticks quite a bit myself. I was off them cold for over a year and have as of late slipped back in to having a few smokes at work. it sucks, but i'm slowly working those down to next to none.

It will be hard, I had to cut some friends out of my life until I was past the really REALLY bad cravings as all my friends are jerks and won't hesitate to offer you a smoke every 4 minutes.

The part I found the hardest was any habits you have that involved smoking, have to be changed. My morning coffee was a tough one, also just kinda sitting around having "boredom smokes" had to stop as well.

Stick with it, if you've made it 3 weeks you can make it last forever!



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes
 


Have you tried this yet. E-Cig's

It works great but takes some time to get used to.



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Congrats just stay away from smoking friends while drinking and you're golden.



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
my best wishes ...be proud ..i try to stop since 25 years now :S..

i cant even stop for some hours or im gettin mad



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by pityocamptes
 


Well done, the first few weeks are the worst but once you get past that hump it will get easier. I've battled the sticks quite a bit myself. I was off them cold for over a year and have as of late slipped back in to having a few smokes at work. it sucks, but i'm slowly working those down to next to none.

It will be hard, I had to cut some friends out of my life until I was past the really REALLY bad cravings as all my friends are jerks and won't hesitate to offer you a smoke every 4 minutes.

The part I found the hardest was any habits you have that involved smoking, have to be changed. My morning coffee was a tough one, also just kinda sitting around having "boredom smokes" had to stop as well.

Stick with it, if you've made it 3 weeks you can make it last forever!



Hahahaha, I think that that is what is driving me nuts. I know its not the nicotine, because I was chewing the gum for the first couple of weeks, and I was still craving SOMETHING, to the point of madness!!! I probably will chew the gum regularly as nicotine does have some benefits for brain and CNS function. Personally, I don't think the addiction is NICOTINE (nicotine requires a HIGHER temp to burn off than what is present in cigarettes!), but some other chemical, or perhaps auto addiction - hand to mouth habit...



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
reply to post by pityocamptes
 


Have you tried this yet. E-Cig's

It works great but takes some time to get used to.



Yea, my brother bought one, I tried it and almost crapped myself (literally), doubled over while driving home from his house... the e-cigs didn't really work too well for me...



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes
 


Congrats, friend! Stick with it and don't EVER fall for the "I can have just one..." trap as that's a quick on-ramp to full time smoking again.

I suggest checking out Why Quit? and Quitnet for support, lots of reading and forums to help you stay strong, as well as "quit counters" to help keep track of how many smokes you HAVEN'T had and how much money you HAVE saved.

The benefits in quitting are really quite amazing, and I'm getting back on this wagon myself this week after having failed my 2nd quit of about two months through the "just one" trick...again.

Good luck, just remember smoking does NOTHING helpful for you and is just a self-propogating self destruction that also attacks your bank account. Be well and blessed in this, you have my support any time you need it.



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius
reply to post by pityocamptes
 


Congrats, friend! Stick with it and don't EVER fall for the "I can have just one..." trap as that's a quick on-ramp to full time smoking again.

I suggest checking out Why Quit? and Quitnet for support, lots of reading and forums to help you stay strong, as well as "quit counters" to help keep track of how many smokes you HAVEN'T had and how much money you HAVE saved.

The benefits in quitting are really quite amazing, and I'm getting back on this wagon myself this week after having failed my 2nd quit of about two months through the "just one" trick...again.

Good luck, just remember smoking does NOTHING helpful for you and is just a self-propogating self destruction that also attacks your bank account. Be well and blessed in this, you have my support any time you need it.




Thanks! Hahahahaha, you want to know something? That is the rationalization I have been kicking in my head everytime I drive by a gas station or other convenience store!!! I keep telling myself, only one, I can handle it... but I keep on driving...
edit on 24-5-2011 by pityocamptes because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes
 


I'm glad for you, quitting is extremely hard. I should know I've been trying for years. I think you're on to something with the hand to mouth habit. I've found that if I just have an unlit cigarette in my hand or hold a golf pencil like a cigarette that I'm fine for hours, although I wouldn't suggest buying cigarettes just to hold it
haha. Good luck, stay strong.
edit on 24-5-2011 by BunnyBeHoppy because: Typo



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Congrats... I have respect for anyone who can show that kind of self-disciple. I genuinely hope you overcome it.



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes
 

Good man - tread very cautiously.

For your continued strength, please also read through The One Puff Files here.

Good luck and god bless, you can do it but just remember you will always be an addict in recovery and if you pump those pathways again, it might be harder next time. Even if you can sneak a through few, it's playing with fire - literally.



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius
reply to post by pityocamptes
 

Good man - tread very cautiously.

For your continued strength, please also read through The One Puff Files here.

Good luck and god bless, you can do it but just remember you will always be an addict in recovery and if you pump those pathways again, it might be harder next time. Even if you can sneak a through few, it's playing with fire - literally.



Thanks! The nicotine is enjoyable. What is interesting is that when I chew the gum I have tons of energy, no problems breathing, vision is more vivid, etc. yet when I smoke a cig I get tired/unmotivated, no energy, hard to breath, etc. I guess what woke me up was the other day walking to my car (about 3/4 mile) and realizing that I was breathing harder than I have ever before. Just decided I had had enough. Plus, the lack of oxygen in the blood is causing my "engine" - body - metabolism to sputter...



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
God I'm getting that craving again... why everytime I get that craving do I feel like this:


Not sure how to embed, maybe someone can embed for me...


www.youtube.com...



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes
 


There you go.

Agreed on the breathing thing - after smoking, I just feel dirty and polluted to be honest, and really notice it in my heart speeding up easy when not really doing anything that should make it pick up. Generally bad stuff, and despite the fact that I'm not big on nicotine replacement therapies like gum and e-cigs since they usually fail at long-term quits, they are definitely a better step as there are so many other things you get through the cigarettes themselves.

I'll by no means try to dissuade you from the quit as it is the very very best choice you can make, but if you ever completely relapse (god forbid), I suggest looking for additive free & all natural options while you gear up to quit again - I'm a fan of Natural American Spirits when smoking, supposedly they are all organic and natural tobacco with nothing else and no scrap/filler, etc.

Take care and stay strong.
edit on 5/24/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes
 

I admire your will power and I hope you get through this. The last time I tried to quit I was such an a**hole my wife drove to the store, bought a pack of cigarettes and threw them at me.



posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing
reply to post by pityocamptes
 

I admire your will power and I hope you get through this. The last time I tried to quit I was such an a**hole my wife drove to the store, bought a pack of cigarettes and threw them at me.





Hahahahahaha, yea I have had a similar moment...



posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
After 30 years, pack-a-day, I am sitting here, "vaping" my e-cig, INSIDE. Three months + no tobacco.

e-Cig WAY more healthy alternative, tastes better, doesn't stink, endless number of "flavors". Worth a look - does take some getting used to. And yes, the "runs" are possible for those who aren't used to the e-Cig liquid. Those people may opt for a Vegetable Glycerine based liquid as opposed to the Propylene Glycol based liquids generally sold.

All in all I am glad I was able to switch. No more standing in the cold or rain to have a puff.



posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TILTed
After 30 years, pack-a-day, I am sitting here, "vaping" my e-cig, INSIDE. Three months + no tobacco.

e-Cig WAY more healthy alternative, tastes better, doesn't stink, endless number of "flavors". Worth a look - does take some getting used to. And yes, the "runs" are possible for those who aren't used to the e-Cig liquid. Those people may opt for a Vegetable Glycerine based liquid as opposed to the Propylene Glycol based liquids generally sold.

All in all I am glad I was able to switch. No more standing in the cold or rain to have a puff.



posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TILTed
After 30 years, pack-a-day, I am sitting here, "vaping" my e-cig, INSIDE. Three months + no tobacco.

e-Cig WAY more healthy alternative, tastes better, doesn't stink, endless number of "flavors". Worth a look - does take some getting used to. And yes, the "runs" are possible for those who aren't used to the e-Cig liquid. Those people may opt for a Vegetable Glycerine based liquid as opposed to the Propylene Glycol based liquids generally sold.

All in all I am glad I was able to switch. No more standing in the cold or rain to have a puff.



new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join