It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornado Hell

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
So what the hell is causing these record tornados everywhere in middle America, I dunno it seems really odd to me that these mild storm coming across California that are mostly just drizzle and clouds are turning into these monster cells and record breaking tornados. Supposedly there is some bad news for people in Oklahoma to Wichita today with another crazy cell moving in...

"The greatest threat of tornadic activity Tuesday lies from Oklahoma City to Wichita..."

www.accuweather.com...

After severe thunderstorms and tornadoes damaged parts of the southern Plains over the weekend, another round of devastating tornadoes is on the way for Tuesday.

Major Tornado Outbreak Tuesday

AccuWeather.com Meteorologists are forecasting that there will be at least 50 tornado reports on Tuesday, many of them across the eastern half of Oklahoma and eastern Kansas.

The greatest threat of tornadic activity on Tuesday lies in the corridor from Oklahoma City, Okla., to Wichita, Kan., to already hard-hit Joplin, Mo.

This includes the cities of Dallas, Tex., Topeka, Kan., and Tulsa, Okla.

These locations have the potential for long-lived and long track tornadoes, hail to the size of baseballs and flash flooding from thunderstorms that develop.

A strong low pressure system coming out from the Rockies will strengthen across the southern Plains Tuesday, creating ideal conditions for dangerous storms and potential tornadoes.

Thunderstorms will first erupt during the afternoon hours on Tuesday across central Kansas, central Oklahoma, and north-central Texas. These thunderstorms will quickly turn severe, producing large hail and potentially devastating tornadoes.

These storms will then track eastward late Tuesday afternoon into Tuesday night bringing the threat for destructive tornadoes into the Middle Mississippi River Valley for the nighttime hours.

Residents should be advised that tornadoes that occur at night are the most dangerous due to the simple fact that most people are asleep. Persons are urged to keep tuned to local media outlets during this severe weather outbreak and have a plan of action prepared should severe weather strike.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

These tornados are striking areas that expect tornados every spring. What seems unusual this year is these tornados are striking major population centers. And that Joplin footage... I mean I have seen tons of aftermath video and there is always some buildings and trees intact, but not in Joplin.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Here is something you might find usefull.
It's a map with weather data and current tornado chasers in the area. Some of does chasers have a live feed so you can watch them.
Link

OnlyLove.

edit on 24/5/2011 by OnlyLove because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by OnlyLove

Awesome thanks!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Whats the fuss all about? Its known as tornado alley* isnt it? thiers a reason for that.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by OnlyLove

Here is something you might find usefull.
It's a map with weather data and current tornado chasers in the area. Some of does chasers have a live feed so you can watch them.
Link

OnlyLove.

edit on 24/5/2011 by OnlyLove because: (no reason given)

Wow that link is awesome.

Thank you.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Its storm season.Its like this every year.I should know i live in it.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Having lived in OK for 18 years and survived 5 tornados, one an F5, I can say that they expect tornados every year. That is why cellars are a big buisness there. While this is season is rare in the amount of tornados they have seen, its really just a phase. Some years are worse then others, this just happens to be a bad year.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54
So what the hell is causing these record tornados everywhere in middle America

Here is a well written explanation:

www.weather.com...

To sum it up:

Why is Tuesday looking so dangerous? Put simply, it's a setup straight out of meteorology textbooks. Let's delve into the ingredients.

Moisture: Check!
Instability: Check!
Wind Shear: Check!
Near-surface boundaries: Check!
A strong cap: Check!

Follow the link above for an in depth explanation of each of the above "Checks"

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by OnlyLove

Thats odd. I checked your link earlier and it showed chasers all over. Cool.

Now that there are tornados on the ground, I see nothing. Bandwidth problems maybe?

top topics

join