It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Boy Who Cried Wolf"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The Boy Who Cried Wolf - Wikipedia

The Boy Who Cried Wolf, is one of Aesop's Fables, numbered 210 in the Perry Index. From it is derived the English idiom 'to cry wolf', meaning to give a false alarm.[1] It has come to be a important metaphor in contemporary culture: see Harold Camping and May 21, 2011.

The tale concerns a shepherd boy who tricks nearby villagers into thinking a wolf is attacking his flock. He repeats this so many times that when the sheep are actually confronted by a wolf, the villagers do not believe his cries for help and the flock is destroyed. The moral at the end of the Greek version is that 'the story shows that this is how liars are rewarded: even if they tell the truth, no one believes them.

Emphasis mine.

So now Mr. Camping has cried wolf twice... you know, in the children's fable, three times a charm!

There is a deeper moral to the story than just how the liars are rewarded. See, if the villagers actually cared for the sheep, they would not worry about the lies of the shepherd. Instead, if the threat of wolves is possible enough that the villagers believed the first two lies, then it is inevitable that the wolves will attack at some point.

So why choose to not believe the boy when the sheep are the ones who get hurt? If the villagers wish to protect the sheep, take them away from the liar. In this way the liar understands the immediate consequences of the lie, that is, no one trusts straightaway. As well, the sheep are given into the care of one who can be trusted.

If you are a christian, you should find a new shepherd - one who doesn't take your life lightly. If you are a "gentile" or atheist by-stander, do not hate the sheep for what the shepherd does (Just as you would not like the people judged by their tyrannical governments). If you are a shepherd and you see wandering sheep, take them into your herd. STOP RESPECTING THE ESTABLISHMENT OF TRICKSTERS AND NUISANCES. If the sheep don't want you, you can do nothing. But you don't wait for the wandering sheep to enter your herd... you find them wandering about the wilderness when walking to and fro.

And shepherds respect the by-standers. They do have hearts and they will always help as long as you show your humanity and willingness to listen to them. And they will also help you.

And by-standers do not judge all shepherds according to the actions of some. If there is even ONE good shepherd, you fail with your generalized hatred and disdain for the establishment of faith and truth.

In this way, "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" is a story of a past life and merely an example of how things were.
edit on 5/24/2011 by TarzanBeta because: To make nice.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Unfortunately for the boy...

The Wolf only had to come once.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere

Unfortunately for the sheep.

And fortunately for us, there are many wolves! Or is that unfortunate? Don't con me like that.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Thank you for this post.
It is so right, in the wild you will see many shepherds, and while some will take the sheep as their own, others there will take the sheep back to their rightful owner.
The best you an do is light the lamp and wander the wild at night looking for the lost.. show them the way back to the flock, which ever flock that is..
great post.

edit on 24-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: typo

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

With Predictions & Prophecies you do have to be very careful. I go by this who told you, and why would they. Just like the prediction I made in my intro ( That was shut down ) I say you get one shot. Its not that I am not going to listen what you have to say the second time just say your full of it. Did this guy say why he got it wrong? the first time? or sorry I got people killed? If not and just ran out with the next date I smell something.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta

Originally posted by whyamIhere

Unfortunately for the sheep.

And fortunately for us, there are many wolves! Or is that unfortunate? Don't con me like that.

I was just joking...

I do however appreciate the message.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sprocket2cog

Thank you for this post.
It is so right, in the wild you will see many shepherds, and while some will take the sheep as their own, others there will take the sheep back to their rightful owner.
The best you an do is light the lamp and wander the wild at night looking for the lost.. show them the way back to the flock, which ever flock that is..
great post.

edit on 24-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: typo

Thank you, actually.

It is much easier said than done. Politics gets in the way of everything! Because people are too weak and too afraid to possibly hurt someone's feelings or to have people perceive them as bad or wrong if they do the right thing.

But it is certainly possible and I do it everyday... and if I can do it, then what the heck is their problem?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by HelloJCneedsomehelp

With Predictions & Prophecies you do have to be very careful. I go by this who told you, and why would they. Just like the prediction I made in my intro ( That was shut down ) I say you get one shot. Its not that I am not going to listen what you have to say the second time just say your full of it. Did this guy say why he got it wrong? the first time? or sorry I got people killed? If not and just ran out with the next date I smell something.

You smell liar. If you get into it, you'll find out why. Others in other threads have already debated and continue to debate why. I am not here for that right now.

I am here to tell you that all prophets should not be judged according to the screw ups - but only according to their own individual works. Or, atleast, in a nutshell.

And also to try to find the wandering sheep.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
But everyone knows that the wolf eventually did show up; and many innocent sheep or Christians will be Lost. There will always be false prophets, but when someone comes forth claiming to be Satan, the Daughter of GOD Sister Spirit and Wife of Jesus Christ, I think People should really listen up. I mean after all; who in the name of God would claim to be Satan unless they are Ab Soul Lootly sure that's who they are?

reply to post by whyamIhere

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta

Originally posted by HelloJCneedsomehelp

You smell liar. If you get into it, you'll find out why. Others in other threads have already debated and continue to debate why. I am not here for that right now.

I am here to tell you that all prophets should not be judged according to the screw ups - but only according to their own individual works. Or, atleast, in a nutshell.

And also to try to find the wandering sheep.

I will take that.......but at some point something is wrong with the work if the answer keeps coming out wrong?
I do think it gives people hope and something to hold on to and thats not a bad thing to.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by HelloJCneedsomehelp

The answer is always right! Just because some people would try to make themselves more important than the truth and garner attention for themselves in order to justify their future predictions, it does not mean the truth is no the truth -- because the truth is simply the truth! It speaks for itself!

The purpose of predictions, fail or not, is to remind people that the possibility is not only their, but IMMINENT.

Remember that. Just be alert and don't worry about the days. Don't worry about the times. Just focus on yourself and once you get that more or less right, focus on helping others.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1MrsJesusChrist
But everyone knows that the wolf eventually did show up; and many innocent sheep or Christians will be Lost. There will always be false prophets, but when someone comes forth claiming to be Satan, the Daughter of GOD Sister Spirit and Wife of Jesus Christ, I think People should really listen up. I mean after all; who in the name of God would claim to be Satan unless they are Ab Soul Lootly sure that's who they are?

reply to post by whyamIhere

Someone who is clearly a liar? Satan is a liar, so therefore, even if the person is Satan, they're a liar. Why give power to Satan in acknowledging when he wants to be acknowledged? Why worry about what people claim they are and instead pay attention to their actions to determine who they truly are!

God ain't gonna say, "Oh, hey. Yeah, I'm God. Whatup. Watch this. Yeah, see? Only God can do that, right?"

No.... God is more like, "I am. I am what I am. I do what I do. Do you not know I am?"

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
A Liar, Lion, or the Beast that you saw Not are all roles or parts in this Game of life Satan had to play. The fact is Jesus Christ and Satan were given different missions by GOD. Jesus came to Save the World whereas Satan's mission was to Deceive the whole world than come and Destroy all of the male fragile egos. Look at it this way; there is only One Jesus Christ and lets say hes the President, but Satan is the Vice President, His Opposite and so She had to also be his Secret Tarry (secretary) who had to take down all of his dictations. Jesus had to walk a straight line and show man how they should walk and talk, but Satan as GOD's Lunatic (moonlike) Daughter was allowed to get away with Murder such as in Job. God is the one who sent Satan to Test Jesus Christ and try to get him to Sin instead of going to the cross. All's satan had to do was remain Silent, let folks blame their sins on Her and then report back to GOD.

As Satan, the Daughter of GOD, I promise to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me God; this time. But my mark as the Beast or 7th Angel wit6h a loud Voice can best be seen in Isa. 66:6-9

"A voice of noise from the city, a voice from the temple, a voice of the LORD that rendereth recompence to his enemies. Before She travailed, She brought forth; before Her pain came, She was delivered of a man child. Who hath heard such a thing? Who hath seen such things? Shall the Earth be made to bring forth in one day; or Shall a Nation be born at Once? For as soon as Zion travailed she brought forth Her children.

So in other words Satan is Judah, the Treacherous Backsliding Sister who also part the role to play the harlot and Hab. 2:3 cleary says in the End She will Not Lie. But She is willing to put her hand on a Bible; and promise to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth so Help Her GOD; this time.
edit on 24-5-2011 by 1MrsJesusChrist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by 1MrsJesusChrist

So we choose to listen in the event that you might be telling the truth. And we act accordingly if it is up to us to act.

However, we do not expect or believe that you are telling the truth, regardless of what you claim, because as a deceiver, we must never fully put our faith in such.

But we do listen and remember in the event that you might be telling the truth.

However, more importantly, people should be focusing on being good rather than focusing on not being bad.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The greek fable is also discussed in buddhism in reference to Karma.

If you spend a lifetime gossipying, lying and slandering then in the next lifetime it seems like no one takes you seriously, that your words and warnings commands have no power, you seem to be small in the company of others even if you are right.

No one takes notice of what you say.

Just my 2 cents.

Elf

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
In the case of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf," everybody can verify that wolves are real -tangible- .On the other hand, God, Judgment Day, Heaven, Hell all these things are over our heads.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Well actually I disagree. What Christians should do is KNOW their Bible so they are not Con'd or Confused by people like Camping. Most people are told what that the bible says; instead of knowing what GOD said for sure and this is the reason Adam & Eve were expelled from the garden of Eden. As Satan, I say; NEVER believe me; just GOD to your Bible and Your GOD and find out for yourselves. Just as Medicare as We know it might End; So will the old Earth, and Heaven. When the USSC decides that they have sinned against GOD with their 1st Amen-dment; than we can have a new heaven, new earth, and hell will be donwnsized from a Lake into a Pit.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
The greek fable is also discussed in buddhism in reference to Karma.

If you spend a lifetime gossipying, lying and slandering then in the next lifetime it seems like no one takes you seriously, that your words and warnings commands have no power, you seem to be small in the company of others even if you are right.

No one takes notice of what you say.

Just my 2 cents.

Elf

I think that this makes sense. And it is a torcher to one if they have chosen to love those around them for them to not be believed.

But see, that is sort of crazy as well. Because then according to that theory, everyone is manipulated into believing anything besides the truth in order to punish one person for their lie.... I think this is unreasonable and makes little sense, but it is a good way to scare someone.

It makes more sense to me that the person should be taught early by fellow man that lies won't be tolerated and that someone will take responsibility if they do not.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_0bserver85
In the case of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf," everybody can verify that wolves are real -tangible- .On the other hand, God, Judgment Day, Heaven, Hell all these things are over our heads.

As true as that may seem, the end of all things is inevitable. Just like wolves. It is just a matter of how, when, and where, and why, etc...

But the point is, we should always be sober, alert, and able to react if it is our job to react for when such a time occurs.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1MrsJesusChrist
Well actually I disagree. What Christians should do is KNOW their Bible so they are not Con'd or Confused by people like Camping. Most people are told what that the bible says; instead of knowing what GOD said for sure and this is the reason Adam & Eve were expelled from the garden of Eden. As Satan, I say; NEVER believe me; just GOD to your Bible and Your GOD and find out for yourselves. Just as Medicare as We know it might End; So will the old Earth, and Heaven. When the USSC decides that they have sinned against GOD with their 1st Amen-dment; than we can have a new heaven, new earth, and hell will be donwnsized from a Lake into a Pit.

People should know their bible but further they should love eachother and learn to respect those who do show their love and listen to those who they know to not be liars. Love is more important than the Bible, because the Bible does not decide love for people. The Bible is a gift, a tool, knowledge that we might better believe! True faith is aside from the Bible. But the knowledge helps us to see what we still choose to not or cannot see.

And you are absolutely wrong on a major point -- Adam and Even were expelled because they did not take responsibility for their actions - instead blaming someone else for their mistake! Not because they didn't know any better. People should not rely on knowing whether they can or cannot get away with something... but rather should simply love and respect because that is what is true - and completely defiant to the human aspect of knowledge is power.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join