It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Federal Rules To Require Black Boxes to Record Driver Activity in Every Car

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
I mean cars costing upwards 150K+. They dont let dirt come near their car, do you think they are going to let anyone put a freaking box in their car if it was not factory made? LMAO. Its never gonna happen on cars that are already made.

This analogy makes me laugh.

People with 150k + auto's are not registering them for typical use nor are they using them for bi-weekly grocery shopping at walmart.

This has to do with the average driver and their auto's AND their ability or inability to register them in the face of legislation requiring this type of technology.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

If you don't pay your car payment on time then they have every right to deny your usage of the vehicle until you are current.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Dilligaf28

No, they do not. The property still belongs to you if you miss a payment. The property is still yours unless they forclose on it....

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

The property isn't yours if its financed. If you pay the car in full at the time of purchase or pay off the finance then yes its yours but until that time you don't have true ownership of the vehicle. They can deny usage of the vehicle.
The Consumerist

AJC cars

These devices are mostly used in the sub prime market in order to insure people pay their payments on time. The buyer and seller enter into a fully disclosed contract which includes the device being present in the car. Should the buyer not follow through on their contractual obligations to make payments then the tittle/lien holder has every right to disable the vehicle (as stipulated in the contract).

btw they don't foreclose on cars they are repo'd and if you make your payments up you can get your car back. This tech is the same as a repo man but cheaper for the lien holder to use and easier for the buyer to get usage of their car back from.

edit on 26-5-2011 by Dilligaf28 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Dilligaf28

Well maybe I am wrong, but I was under the impression that you own the car, but the car is the collateral. I guess I could be wrong, but I have never been stupid enough to take a loan out on a car.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I am not going to repeat my full post from the other thread so I'll add a link to that post.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is not new. Some cars have had this in them since 1974. It does not record audio, it does not constantly record and keep that record. The only thing that will be seen is the last few moments before a crash.

Most new cars already have this, as of last year more than 60 million new cars had this. You are already being monitored most likely and it will be use if an insurance or investigators deem it necessary because of an accident.

You can though have a certain insurance company monitor your driving habits to "possibly" lower your rate.

Check my other post, there are plenty of informative links in it stating this has been around for some time. Most any car enthusiast knows this already.

Raist

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
So what gets me is, we bail out American car manufactures who barrow tax payer money to spy on us.

So I assume these CEO 's are slapping there knee calling us fools and telling the board " can you believe it , America is paying us to spy on them and were making a profit to boot" slapping the knee again "hot-damn, only in America."
hey guys meeting break, lets check out that video again of that couple , gota love onstar"

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SJE98

Check out the link in my post above yours. You are getting overly excited about nothing. In the post I mention there is plenty of information telling you about the devices and that they have been in use for years. As of a few years ago over 60 million had them already, and not only the American motor companies.

I wonder why know one checks things out closer on ATS any more?

Raist

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SJE98

In case you do not get everything in that post I have another here with even more information for you.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Plenty of links with lots of truth and no overly dramatized conspiracy, just what the doctor ordered. The truth will set you free.

Raist

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink
Actually this may be a good thing if they are set up like airplane black boxes which only record a short period of time. In case of an accident the investigators will have real evidence of the speed and actions of the drivers.

So, if a driver involved in a crash was going well above the speed limit or perhaps was driving under the influence and never braked before hitting someone, they will have evidence of this.

I totally agree with you. It will also tell if someone was distracted by talking on their cell phone, or putting makeup on, or maybe the driver is having some sort of health crisis etc.
edit on 28-5-2011 by caladonea because: correct misspelled word

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
When in doubt, go to the source. Here is information I found from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
I present this for your own review and interpretation.

NHTSA Documents

NHTSA - Automotive Black Box Data Recovery Systems

Now, in order to improve vehicle safety, General Motors is using
similar technology in about 40% of its Model Year 1999 vehicles.

In the early 1970s, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) made the recommendation
that vehicle manufacturers and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration work together
to gather information on vehicle crashes using on-board collision sensing and recording devices. As
a result, General Motors airbag equipped production vehicles have recorded data for impacts that
caused a deployment of the airbag since 1974. Many of these systems also recorded data during
impacts that were not severe enough to actually deploy the airbag ("near-deployment" events).

General Motors has contracted with Vetronix Corporation of Santa Barbara, California, to develop
software and interface cables to allow the event data to be downloaded to commonly used laptop
computers (Figure at Right). Data useful to researchers and investigators, such as delta V, driver
seat belt usage, and pre-impact data will be stored and displayed in a standard format (see Figures 1
and 2).

NHTSA - Event Data Recorder (EDR) Research Applications of Bibliography

AIA Urges Co-operative Effort Between AAA/Insurers to Use Standardized Event Data Recorders in Vehicles.

NHTSA - Event data recorder - Pre Crash Data Validation of Toyota Products (Feb 2011)

NHTSA Event Data Recorder DATABASE

NHTSA EDR Reports
NHTSA - Vehicle Database: Event Data Recorder Reports
NHTSA - Databases & Software

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

No that is not what these devices will do.

They only record the electrical data. The only thing seen will be the last 5-25 seconds before a crash and it will be breaking, acceleration, RPMs, seat belt, and similar stuff possibly sudden steering. It will not tell if a driver was distracted or anything like that.

They could very well tell if there was a mechanical error. This is not spying on the driver in so many words but backing a driver's story and monitoring the vehicle for flaws.

Raist

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by renegadeS

I have posted link after link with information on these devices.

As usual no one wants to listen to the truth only the overly rated conspiracy view.

Raist

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Yes, I have noticed that again and again on these forums. It doesn't seem to matter how much research you do, the majority of the posters read the first post, then quickly click the button to post an angry and conspiracy loaded reply.

It would be nice if there was a policy that posts without proof or references had their font size changed to 8pt, while those WITH references were at 12pt...

Anyways, I'll continue to post sources and research for the 1% of readers who are not reactionary.

I do agree with you, Raist, it does not appear that these will be "spying" on the driver. Referencing the first link I posted (here) these devices only record Vehicle speed, engine speed, throttle position, and brake toggle. Some will include other sensors such as seat-belt position. No cameras to record the driver, or anything like that, simply information to indicate a potential mechanical failure.
edit on 28-5-2011 by renegadeS because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join