It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Federal Rules To Require Black Boxes to Record Driver Activity in Every Car

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

The way my life has been going, I'm WELL insured against such accidents hahaha

That said, I wouldn't mind a fender bender though from time to time.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly
I heard another bill is quietly being put before Congress to implant all newborns with a "black box" type microdevice with RFID that runs off the impedance of one's body. You can pay a fee of $10,000 to avoid it though, which goes into an interest-bearing escrow account that the government can draw on if they need to recoup surveillance costs should the government determine the person is a risk to the state at any point.

Hmmmm I would love to read the source on where you have heard this?

I would find it quite odd that any electronic RFID or otherwise could "run" off resistance, or anything in stark opposition to AC current

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I just want to know how do they determine what hour the box is going to record. Are they psychic and know when an accident is going to happen? Do they start recording if someone is speeding or swerving? And how would the box determine if someone is texting?????? What? What determines when the recorder will start? After the accident is obviously too late.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
I just want to know how do they determine what hour the box is going to record. Are they psychic and know when an accident is going to happen? Do they start recording if someone is speeding or swerving? And how would the box determine if someone is texting?????? What? What determines when the recorder will start? After the accident is obviously too late.

My understanding is that the box is constantly recording while the car is running. Im willing to bet the box has a hard drive and when the hard drive is full, it records over previous information.
edit on 24-5-2011 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Boxes like these are always recording....typically to flash type memory.

In the security industry, there are cameras that record events which are typical for 30 seconds before, during and 30 seconds after an alleged event, and keeps those events, the rest are discarded. The black box would work similarly. Always operating, but tags events based on criteria. (programmable)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Well Joyride 0187 said the box will record an hour before the accident and audio as well, so maybe only record an hour then delete it, or tape over it. If the trip is shorter maybe it can store more then one car ride.

Another thing, why dont they make cars with cell phone jammers in it that jam any cellphone signal for a 5-foot radius, and if its in an accident it turns off. Or if the car is off the jammer wont work.

Or how about cars have GPS technology that has all the roads speed limits on it and limits cars to that specific roads speed. I think they should come out with this technology first.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by scottromansky

Another thing, why dont they make cars with cell phone jammers in it that jam any cellphone signal for a 5-foot radius, and if its in an accident it turns off. Or if the car is off the jammer wont work.

Easy.

Imagine being in a duress situation or worse, life threatening situation where the one reason you should TRULY have a mobile phone on the road, is completely unavailable to you.

The political fallout from such legislation would be disastrous, nevermind the human fallout from potential threat to life and property.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I am amazed that so many people are looking at this as a positive thing!?
I know that most newer cars already have a similar device installed, which is why I own a 25 year old Blazer. It has been in the family for a long long time and I couldn't dream of driving anything else.

Also, this black box will get nowhere near my truck. Ever. I don't fly, I don't pay illegal taxes, and I sure as sh*t am not going to help these elite scum trample the few rights we still have.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by scottromansky

That makes the most sense. I mean keeping just the hour recorded beforehand and nothing else.
I don't think those other ideas would fly though.
edit on 24-5-2011 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I am attempting to find proof that the device records in cabin audio and have yet to see evidence of this. Can someone please point me to a link that shows the device can record audio?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Contrary to what you may believe, driving is a PRIVILEGE not a right.

+

It would help ALOT in accident investigations. Lots of stupid people like to lie after an accident and it's sometimes hard to determine the reason for the crash when you have 10 million versions of the story and each one seems possible...

It will also bring alot of closure for people who lost someone close. Lots of people have accidents and die and the cause is not determined, it is guessed : fell asleep at the wheel is the #1 guess when almost everything else is ruled out (like alcohol, or drugs in the blood, heart attack, stroke, etc...)... The box will help find out the patterns before the crash...

And for you cop haters: it will speed up investigations so that we can get more donoughts and coffee time before our next supposed "beat downs"....

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

I must be blind because I simply cannot find anything about this device recording audio on that site. There is a broken link for "what the NHTSA says about recording audio and video" but that is the only mention I can find on the site.

Under the "what is and edr" link the only sentence I can find that looks like the one you quoted says "this device records seconds before and after a crash..." but it does not say it records audio.

I'm not trying to be a pain, I just do not see on that site where it says the device records audio. As I said there is a link about "what the NHTSA says about recording audio and video" but thats the only thing I can find on that site about recording audio.

edit on 24-5-2011 by Dilligaf28 because: To add in the screen shot.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dilligaf28

edit on 24-5-2011 by Dilligaf28 because: To add in the screen shot.

The part that says "monitoring and assessing vehicle safety system and performance" So speed during the crash, brake pressure applied, steering wheel turned, gas pressure applied. So maybe it doesnt record audio and just records things from the cars onboard computer.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Oh yeah, great idea

More Govt control, intrusion and encroachment.
I am tired of this crap.
For all of those that think its a great idea, by all means, offer yourself up. Also, with that, you need to hold the one from my car and others as well.

What a crock.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I must be blind because I simply cannot find anything about this device recording audio on that site. There is a broken link for "what the NHTSA says about recording audio and video" but that is the only mention I can find on the site.

My mistake, the quote is wrong. I checked online and cannot find any information that these do contain audio recording equipment.

As long as audio is not recorded and the data is considered the property of the driver (or vehicle owner) I believe there is a way for a recorder to increase liberty not impinge upon it.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187

My mistake, the quote is wrong. I checked online and cannot find any information that these do contain audio recording equipment.

As long as audio is not recorded and the data is considered the property of the driver (or vehicle owner) I believe there is a way for a recorder to increase liberty not impinge upon it.

If its the property of the vehicle owner, then the owner can chose not no have it installed.

For the other poster trying the whole "Privilege vs Right" thing?
Really? That is your angle?
While driving is a privilege, placing tracking devices or data recording devices is an infringement of personal rights.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink
Actually this may be a good thing if they are set up like airplane black boxes which only record a short period of time. In case of an accident the investigators will have real evidence of the speed and actions of the drivers.

So, if a driver involved in a crash was going well above the speed limit or perhaps was driving under the influence and never braked before hitting someone, they will have evidence of this.

NO. This is a bad idea any way you look at it. Remember the adage "Give'em an inch and they'll take a mile"? This is a perfect set up for big brother to keep an eye on our every move. Some one is going to come up with, "Well if you're not doing anything bad, you have no reason to worry" The point is, I don't want to be tracked like a criminal, when I've done nothing wrong. This is an invasion of privacy. The FBI can already put a tracker on your car without a warrant, this is a way to tag EVERYONE. Welcome to Amerika, home of the slave.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
So if its made an "option" on new cars then it should be either free, or you get a refund if you have it installed.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Well the "black box" in cars have been there for a decade more or less and I think that it requires new cars must have them. I do not believe that it will mean older cars. I could be wrong though.

The government requires insurance on cars in order to drive them. Driving is a privilege not a right.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join