It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Federal Rules To Require Black Boxes to Record Driver Activity in Every Car

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
"Federal officials are poised to announce next month that all cars must contain a black box, similar to that installed on airplanes, to give authorities a glimpse of your activities in the event of a car wreck. The devices could help pin down what happened in the moments before a crash, helping authorities determine who is at fault for what, and eliminating uncertainty from human witnesses."

Pop Sci

There is no legitimate reason to store more than 1-2 minutes worth of driving data in the black box. Anything else is designed to invade your privacy. But don't worry. As long as you don't do any wrong, you have nothing to fear. Just remember, that *you* don't define right and wrong. Big brother does that.

edit on 24-5-2011 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
So we need some schematics of this "black box" , who builds it, manuals etc. It should be pretty easy to remove. By easy I mean possible 1-2 hours of hard work at most, but I'm thinking a lot less than that.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

I wonder if I'll have to get a TSA grope before I drive.
Yet another "safety" idea. Just ignore the whole privacy thing that they're taking away.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Actually this may be a good thing if they are set up like airplane black boxes which only record a short period of time. In case of an accident the investigators will have real evidence of the speed and actions of the drivers.

So, if a driver involved in a crash was going well above the speed limit or perhaps was driving under the influence and never braked before hitting someone, they will have evidence of this.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
This will save them a lot of money on policing the highways for speeders and DWIs as these devices will monitor your speed as well as positioning between the lines. They get to free up the cops for more home invasions for when people turn their heat up too high or their fridge a bit colder.
Get use to it, we aren't going to stop it, all we can do is complain and get on their watch lists.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaploink

They will record up to an hour before the acccident happends and will record audio as well.

+4 more 
posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
What good is a black box if it disappears after a car knocks down a skyscraper?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Guaranteed the lawmakers trying to bring this to law own major shares in the companies involved in making those boxes.

Ugh... this is ridiculous.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I wonder if it'll have sensors to detect gun oil, black powder, liquor, cigarettes, salt.

The potential for abuse is just ASTOUNDING!

I mean, you all remember how the "Patriot Act" was just for a limited time and only there to make us "safer"?!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
So we're close to defaulting and the collapse of our empire being realized...

How do we get out of this, people??

Anyone, anyone....

I know, I know!!

We can rig black boxes like are used in planes, and put them into each car to track people's speeds...this would cost a good chunk of our non-existent change.

Brilliant, we're all saved....hooray!!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I'm buying a damned horse.
Really.

edit on 24-5-2011 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by amazing
So we need some schematics of this "black box" , who builds it, manuals etc. It should be pretty easy to remove. By easy I mean possible 1-2 hours of hard work at most, but I'm thinking a lot less than that.

Here is what the box looks like and it does in fact record audio inside of the car.

Black box

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

It's a nice read and, yea, I've known they were going to implement this for quite some time now. But with that said, as I have always thought, this will become another in unenforceable regulations. People will immediately attempt to find ways to hack them/ remove them/ pay inspection station service garages off to pass them, etc.

Everything to the feds looks good on paper....presumably this is another.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Having worked as an auto accident investigator for an insurance company in the past, I can say that most vehicles produced in the last 10 years already have a "black box" in them.

As an example of how this has come in handy in the past...when someone rear-ends another vehicle and they claim their breaks failed...then the black box reveals that they never took their foot off the accelerator. BUSTED!

They are also handy for establishing speed at the time of the collision, among other things.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

THIS is true, a lot of manufacturers already DO have them, good point Aggie... although it has never been a fed regulation to have them, a lot of them already do.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Having worked as an auto accident investigator for an insurance company in the past, I can say that most vehicles produced in the last 10 years already have a "black box" in them.

Ah yes, I was just about to post this.
Most people dont know.
EDR

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
This will save them a lot of money on policing the highways for speeders and DWIs as these devices will monitor your speed as well as positioning between the lines. They get to free up the cops for more home invasions for when people turn their heat up too high or their fridge a bit colder.
Get use to it, we aren't going to stop it, all we can do is complain and get on their watch lists.

Or We could release the info on plenum energy extraction, be rid of the need for money, and strip power over Others away in favor of autonomous control over Self.

This requires spreading the idea that We CAN do this... Though You know of My threads, for others here who may not have read them, I offer:

The End of Entropy - the foundation - read first

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Ethical Planetarian Party Platform - the structure

Here's a simple schematic for drawing on the plenum ("dark"/Zero Point/Radiant/Orgone/...) energy:

IF We spread these ideas to the tipping point, there will be no One to hold power over Us in the form of surveilance of Our driving.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I live in new jersey, and when you get your permit your only allowed a certain number of kids in the car. This would only be good in my opinion to crack down on kids speeding, texting, screwing around, etc.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Wow that's gonna put a wrench in my sex life.

OK I know poor taste but really...there are some things that are really personal people do in cars as above mentioned! What if you're driving down the road and have an accident (I don't mean vehicular) That'd be embarrassing.I wish they'd stop this nanny state BS!!!!!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I heard another bill is quietly being put before Congress to implant all newborns with a "black box" type microdevice with RFID that runs off the impedance of one's body. You can pay a fee of $10,000 to avoid it though, which goes into an interest-bearing escrow account that the government can draw on if they need to recoup surveillance costs should the government determine the person is a risk to the state at any point.

.....and the above is called sarcasm for those who could not tell...Nothing the government does in the "interest" of our "security" any more.
edit on 24-5-2011 by pajoly because: adds

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join