It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan Asks China to Build Naval Base in Nation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Pakistan Asks China to Build Naval Base in Nation

defensenews.com

ISLAMABAD - Pakistan wants China to build a naval base at a deep-sea port in southwestern Baluchistan province, its defense minister said May 22, while also inferring that Washington was a fair-weather friend.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

"China is an all-weather friend and the closest ally of Pakistan, and it could be judged from the fact that in whichever sectors Pakistan requested assistance during PM's recent visit to China, they immediately agreed with Pakistan," the defense minister's statement said.

Interesting but by no means surprising; Pakistan is showing its true colors. I wonder why the US feels they need Pakistan so much, is it because of its strategic location? Is it because of the nuclear arms threat that Pakistan poses? India obviously is not delighted about this either.

defensenews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I think you will see more and more countries allying with China as the US bullies its way around the globe. Forget the speaker, but recently it was said:

The U.S.'s business is war. China's business is bussiness.

Ultimately, I believe India will be okay with Pakistan due to China's influence and the fact that both China and India are members of BRIC. But, who knows.
edit on 24-5-2011 by alyoshablue because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Good stuff.

America made her bed, now she can lie in it.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

"China is an all-weather friend and the closest ally of Pakistan, and it could be judged from the fact that in whichever sectors Pakistan requested assistance during PM's recent visit to China, they immediately agreed with Pakistan," the defense minister's statement said.

Interesting but by no means surprising; Pakistan is showing its true colors.

The US has been raiding Pakistan without permission. Clearly the US is trying to provoke a response by the Pakistani government, which would be the excuse for more attacks, if not invasion itself.

The Pakistani government knows this. They are now seeking ties with a nation that can protect them, both on an international stage and with force.

China seems all to willing to back them. The only problem here is that the West won't get their hands on Pakistan's resources or strategic assets as easily as they planned.
edit on 24-5-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Let's not forget how heavily China and the US rely on each other. China is playing both sides of the sword right now, the top General of their Army was just in the states last week, making the statement that China's military has no chance against the U.S. Military. Now at the same time, I don't think he would make such a statement w/o having an ulterior motive which could be telling Pakistan to slow their roll, we don't have a shot or, could be baiting the U.S. Military into a false sense of confidence. All I know is China is becoming more and more vocal about the actions of the States, and it's not support that they are giving.

I want to be optimistic and say that the U.S. and China aren't stupid enough to square off, my cousin is in China and I would prefer that she is safe than in harms way, at the same time all indications are pointing towards completely opposite points of view with Pakistan shaping up to be a huge catalyst right now.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
China positions itself in South America, South East Asia, Africa and now Pakistan and no-one seems bothered.
Seems to me that China are quietly going about expanding their sphere of influence pretty much unchecked and uchallenged.

Imagine the outcry and accusations off neo-colonialism if this was the USA or UK.

Yet China has it's own problems with Muslim extremists and will be no less tolerant of The Taliban than the US are.
Fire and frying pan springs to mind.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
In the Quran and hadith, prophet Muhammad advised us to seek knowledge from China.

If a Muslim nation is truthful towards its religion, it must create long lasting bond with China soon and fast.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

I think its more likely that Pakistan is playing on both sides of the street. The Us has been throwing military equipment and money at them for the war on terror. China is throwing money, investment and military stuff at them as well.

We outfit them with money and weapons, they ask China to build them a naval base and nuclear reactors.

I think Pakistan is the fair weather friend here.

The problem with playing both sides of the street is you run the chance of being struck by traffic from both directions.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
There are large-scale Chinese infrastructure projects in Pakistan, including highways, ports, gold and copper mines, major electricity complexes, dams, power plants, and numerous nuclear power projects.

With roughly ten thousand Chinese workers engaged in 120 projects in Pakistan, total Chinese investment--which includes heavy engineering, power generation, mining, and telecommunications--was valued at $4 billion in 2007 and is expected to rise to $15 billion by 2011.

There are 11,000 Chinese troops including military engineers in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir - a disputed area between India and Pakistan and therefore their presence is highly illegal.

Pakistan and China are bum-chums but China's trade with India (not on the best of terms with both) is projected as $ 50 billion by 2014 compared to a paltry $ 15 billion for China-Pakistan trade by then.

It's high time Pakistan hands over its lands and sovereignty to China as it produces nothing except terrorists! It's dependent on China for much of its military hardware, missiles, nukes and so on. Pakistan is on crutches - one America and the other China. Remove one and Pakistan will.....Oh well, nuff said!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I think alot of these countries in a hurry to kow-tow to China will be in for a rude awakening. Empire is empire doesnt matter if its the United States or China the lilttle guy is still gonna get shat upon. The only difference will be who is doing the shatting.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by alyoshablue

That could have been said about the US at one time as well. China's business may be business, but if the demand is for weapons, military installations, and the like...this will become China's new focus of business since that's what their customers are demanding.

The United States would not have gotten so rich selling weapons, building a military, etc., if there was nobody to purchase what we were hocking.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The US/Pakistan thing is a need only for the WOT. When the US told Musharaff to "get on board or be bombed back to the stone age" right at 9/11 this was an alliance made of friends. I dont know why folks act like its anything else.

India will be NONE too happy about this naval base being built and will only push them closer to the US.
edit on 24-5-2011 by princeofpeace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
China positions itself in South America, South East Asia, Africa and now Pakistan and no-one seems bothered.
Seems to me that China are quietly going about expanding their sphere of influence pretty much unchecked and uchallenged.

Imagine the outcry and accusations off neo-colonialism if this was the USA or UK.

Very true. However, the difference is China does it through conducting business - pays for resources. The U.S. uses the WB or IMF to put a nation in debt, steal its resources, install a central bank and only enrich itself. The colonialism today the West uses of one of debt enslavement - something China hasn't done. In fact, all the debt China has accumulated of the US, they have been using to buy up tangible assets - do you blame them?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
reply to post by alyoshablue

That could have been said about the US at one time as well. China's business may be business, but if the demand is for weapons, military installations, and the like...this will become China's new focus of business since that's what their customers are demanding.

The United States would not have gotten so rich selling weapons, building a military, etc., if there was nobody to purchase what we were hocking.

Well, let's deal with the present and not the future ... can predict and then accuse, can we? With respect to your comments on the US and pushing weapons, I totally agree. But, let's not forget. There has to be a climate of chaos to create the market for weapons. It's been mainly the US government that created that market conditions to sell the weapons.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The US makes much more off of taxes than it does from arms sales. In fact the US doesnt make as much $$ from arms sales as many fortune 500 companies make in general. I dont know why folks act like arms sales is some huge profit maker. Does it bring in money-yes, but only a small percentage of budget.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Found this tid bit:

(Reuters) - U.S. arms sales will be little changed in fiscal 2010 but could surge by nearly one-third to $50 billion next year, the Pentagon's chief arms seller told Reuters in an interview.

And this:

The Pentagon agency, which overseas major foreign arms sales, is likely to notify Congress of a large number of arms sales over the next few months, said Wieringa, who oversees 12,995 different arms sales involving 218 countries and retires with total of $300 billion of requests still open.

Globally, the world spends roughly 2.7% of its GDP on military expenditures, with the US spending roughly 41% of its global share military spending, twice the next in line (which is roughly 7 times its nearest country, that being China). Source here.

Also found these nice images from the same article:

Largest Global Sellars of Arms

Largest Buyers of Arms

With respect to country by country, the US is obviously the largest arms seller, regardless of what percentage of our GDP, how much money they make of it, etc. Personally, I think all war is evil, especially this current string of wars we are involving ourselves in now. But, that is only my feelings about it.

However, it was mentioned that many of the figures are estimates, as many "deals" often go unreported (IMO - most likely with drug money).

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Exactly....50 billion in arms sales isnt that much money really. Thats for the whole US. You can take a few top companies from wall street and beat that amount and that would just be for their quarterly earnings.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Hey there, I was actually just looking into this matter, I've come across a few differing stories, the first being some dude (namely Provincial Chief Minister, Nawab Muhammad Aslam Raisani) from the Pakistani provincial authority denying any knowledge of such a proposal, and a similar story coming from the Chinese.

www.dailytimes.com.pk...�522story_22-5-2011_pg7_21

Yet, we've got Pakistani Defence Minister Ahmad Mukhtar stating that such an option is being looked at, but again according to the Chinese releases, nothing of the sort has been proposed.

www.reuters.com...

So it's lookin like this could be maybe something that is in the works, maybe it's been discussed privately, maybe it hasn't but will be. Who knows?

Originally posted by alyoshablue
I think you will see more and more countries allying with China as the US bullies its way around the globe.

Alyoshablue, I think you're spot on in that thought. I'm not gonna say that China is perfect, obviously they've got some issues that need to be taken care of, but the same goes for America, they too are doing things we know they should not be doing.

Lets stop blaming one country, or the other and start fixing this..
edit on 24-5-2011 by ToFarGone because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-5-2011 by ToFarGone because: faux pas

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Well 50 Billion reported. Nonetheless, you are right, according to the figures and relative to other sectors, that isn't much. However, like many other sectors, the "military industrial complex" has done quite a bit of damage to the US with respect to its lobbying efforts and influence on congress.

Another aspect to consider is that with Black Budget monies, which is not reported. Found this tid bit, which states:

The CIA was using its unique legal status of being able to lawfully transfer Congressional appropriations or ‘laundered money’ through other federal government agencies, to fund projects administered by the intelligence community, and to destroy any individual or company that threatened to reveal such a process.

The wide extent of chronic auditing irregularities for most government agencies suggested that it was not just HUD that was used by the CIA as vehicle for siphoning money into its ‘unofficial’ black budget. A Senate Committee on government reform investigated the auditing practices of federal government agencies in 2001, and the Committee Chairman, Senator Fred Thompson, released a report that found that ineffectual auditing practices were endemic and led to billions of dollars going annually missing from most government agencies. Rather than restricting itself to the appropriations through the DoD (the ‘official’ black budget), something Congress was aware of and tolerated, the accounting irregularities of many government agencies were possible evidence that the CIA was accumulating a sizable portion of the ‘actual’ black budget from other government agencies.

So apparently, the CIA and other alphabet soup agencies launder money through other agencies.

All in all, while fiscally, it may not amount to much - and who knows how much it is - we are by far the world's great producer and seller of arms. As with any mega-organization that has a product to sell, it will create a market and sell into it. Much of the manipulation of the MSM in the US and other countries, regrettably, is really about establishing a hegemony and all for power over you name it.

Now, back to this conversation, with Pakistan inviting China in and using that as a hedge against US influence, it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join