It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laser puts record data rate through fibre

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Researchers have set a new record for the rate of data transfer using a single laser: 26 terabits per second. At those speeds, the contents of nearly 1,000 high-definition DVDs could be sent down an optical fibre in a second. The trick is to use what is known as a "fast Fourier transform" to unpick more than 300 separate colours of light in a laser beam, each encoded with its own string of information.

The technique is described in the journal Nature Photonics. The push for higher data rates in light-based telecommunications technologies has seen a number of significant leaps in recent years. While the earliest optical fibre technologies encoded a string of data as "wiggles" within a single colour of light sent down a fibre, newer approaches have used a number of tricks to increase data rates. Among them is what is known as "orthogonal frequency division multiplexing", which uses a number of lasers to encode different strings of data on different colours of light, all sent through the fibre together. At the receiving end, another set of laser oscillators can be used to pick up these light signals, reversing the process.

Woow that's fast.

Story

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Alpal

26 terabits wow. Now if only someone could do 100 terabits a sec o yeah that's right they did heres the link www.popsci.com... a mix of but Japanese and American ideas. but you and me never get stuff like this makes you really think they are screwing us when it comes to our IP providers huh.
edit on 24-5-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
That's almost as fast as it took me to think of Skynet when I read this.

new topics

join