It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EHEC plague in Germany, more and more infected fighting for their lives!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tollon
If the source is some vegetable it is not at all strange that more women then men are affected.
Women simply eats more vegetables then men.

I found a study running over 6 years in Sweden, made between 2004-2010, that showed that 35% of the men between 16-84 years of age, ate less then recommended levels of vegetables.
The same number for women was only 18%.
I guess this situation doesn't differ alot between other european countries.

howerver, in this case it is not the quantity of supposedly poisonous vegetables, but the quallity that matters. Even if statistically men have eaten less cucumber salad, they have most certainly eaten at least some, which means that they would get infected anyway. In other words if food is causing the infection, then any amount matters.
In any case, I suspect that something strange is going on. Nothing to do with vegetables.

edit on 31-5-2011 by Douriff because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Douriff

If the source is some vegetable it is not at all strange that more women then men are affected.
Women simply eats more vegetables then men.

I found a study running over 6 years in Sweden, made between 2004-2010, that showed that 35% of the men between 16-84 years of age, ate less then recommended levels of vegetables.
The same number for women was only 18%.
I guess this situation doesn't differ alot between other european countries.

howerver, in this case it is not the quantity of supposedly poisonous vegetables, but the quallity that matters. Even if statistically men have eaten less cucumber salad, they have most certainly eaten at least some, which means that they would get infected anyway. In other words if food is causing the infection, then any amount matters.
In any case, I suspect that something strange is going on. Nothing to do with vegetables.

edit on 31-5-2011 by Douriff because: (no reason given)

Of course it's the quality that is important.
I just say that women are more prone to order a salad, or that they more likely put vegetables on their plate beside the steak (or whatever the main meal is) then man are.
Men have become infected too, but the women/men ratio of infections are pretty spot on with the vegtable eating statistics overall.

I for one would never order a salad when in a restaurant, but my gf sometimes does that.
A salad alone is to me not a proper meal for a fullgrown man.
I would be perfectly happy with just shoveling potatoes and sauce in my mouth together with my steak while my gf always must have at least some sort of green food along with it (like slices of cucumber, tomatoes etc).
What I say is that I am happy to not eat vegetables AT ALL, while that is more or less unthinkable of for my gf.
This is just me and my gf of course, but I think it's pretty common behaviour overall for men and women through-out Europe.

I don't believe much in coincidences, and I have a hard time not to put any weight in the fact that the aspect ratio of infected women/men coincides pretty well with the men/women percentages eating vegetables.

I guess we will eventually find out what the source is, but I for one would not be overly surprised if it turns out to be some fruit or vegetable involved here.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Too late,, already in the minds of the public,,,

"Russia's chief sanitary agency on Monday banned the imports of cucumbers, tomatoes and fresh salad from Spain and Germany pending further notice. It said in a statement that it may even ban the imports of fresh vegetables from all European Union member states due to the lack of information about the source of infection."

unquote

"due to the lack of information about the source of infection"

Never thought i'd cheer for the Russian's.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chevalerous
reply to post by Dalbeck

Thanks man!

I was just there and read the thread!

As I see it there could perhaps be three possibilities:

1. One innocent & horrible mistake, and no one knew!

2. One horrible mistake happens - but they decide to send out and distribute tainted vegetables anyway because of the money involved.

3. An act of sabotage at some transit point in Germany where contaminated vegetables were mixed into the tonnage of other vegetables from another country of origin.

Or maybe even a mix of some parts from of all three scenarios above!

You're welcome

Yes, these are the possibilities being considered right now.

UPDATE: 14 deaths registered. Search of the source starts again.

As I browsed through the posts above I noticed the talk of only women who are dying. To my knowledge there is one man under the dead victims.
edit on 1/6/11 by Dalbeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   

I would be perfectly happy with just shoveling potatoes and sauce in my mouth together with my steak while my gf always must have at least some sort of green food along with it (like slices of cucumber, tomatoes etc).
What I say is that I am happy to not eat vegetables AT ALL, while that is more or less unthinkable of for my gf.
This is just me and my gf of course, but I think it's pretty common behaviour overall for men and women through-out Europe.

I don't believe much in coincidences, and I have a hard time not to put any weight in the fact that the aspect ratio of infected women/men coincides pretty well with the men/women percentages eating vegetables.
well, yes, you are right.about men eating vegies. my friend's hubby calls vegetable soup a "garbage soup"
Your theory is interesting, though, but it is circumstantial. There are vegetarians among men, and so on.
I sincerely hope spreading of disease will stop, so that there will be no need to further discuss any of this theories.

But the fact of women being significantly more vulnerable to the infection, may be pointing to some cause other than food poisoning.

edit on 1-6-2011 by Douriff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Douriff

There was even a (bad, in my opinion) running gag saying basically women are spending more time in the kitchen and therefore being a risky group (preparing the food/ diner)...
edit on 1/6/11 by Dalbeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dalbeck

There was even a (bad, in my opinion) running gag saying basically women are spending more time in the kitchen and therefore being a risky group (preparing the food/ diner)..

well, that's really irrational. like we live in the midleages

one cannot get infected by e-coli unless it is taken into the body orally. . No matter who cooked the food, somebody eats it in the end. It is logical assumption that the whole familly would get sick, no matter how much time the person who cook have spent in the kitchen.
btw
Today I've spotted the announcement on the market's front entrance here in Croatia that says "We don't sell cucumbers, lettuce and tomatoes from Germany and Spain- 100% guaranteed"

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

There was even a (bad, in my opinion) running gag saying basically women are spending more time in the kitchen and therefore being a risky group (preparing the food/ diner)..

well, that's really irrational. like we live in the midleages

one cannot get infected by e-coli unless it is taken into the body orally. . No matter who cooked the food, somebody eats it in the end. It is logical assumption that the whole familly would get sick, no matter how much time the person who cook have spent in the kitchen.
btw
Today I've spotted the announcement on the market's front entrance here in Croatia that says "We don't sell cucumbers, lettuce and tomatoes from Germany and Spain- 100% guaranteed"

Yep it's definitely irrational! Yes, no wondering why they have this sign at their market, the consumers are mazed and dazed 'cuz of the current situation, I understand that.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Yep it's definitely irrational! Yes, no wondering why they have this sign at their market, the consumers are mazed and dazed 'cuz of the current situation, I understand that.

oh, one more thing that occured to me. You menton earlier that you are directly involved with the medical team, so I hope this might be of some help.
Well, IMHO, not that obvious point from where the investigation should also be commenced - are public toilets in Hamburg area.
From the clue of infected women outnumbering men - I was thinking what women (of any age) usually do what men most commonly don't do. Well, women do use toilet paper after urination, while men don't. This leads to the obvious conclusion, that women use toilet paper more frequently, and more so, applying it on the delicate epitelia arround urinary tract.
Infection getting through the urinary tract, also explains the cases of kidney failure. Since e-choli gets through any epitelia, anus as well, geting in touch with contaminated toilet paper (after defecation) does not exclude men, who however for the obvious reason, use the toilet paper less frequently.
In any case, public toilets are easily aproachable places (in case of terrorist bio attack, or any other case).

Any thoughts?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Douriff

Thanks for your thoughts Douriff! Of course every possibility should be considered if the source isn't known yet. But... I think the "investigative agency" involved is on something else

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Thanks for your thoughts Douriff! But... I think the "investigative agency" involved is on something else

Not at all .

Hope the agency is going to the right direction.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Douriff

Hehe

Yes I think so, there's a new trace.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

oh, one more thing that occured to me. You menton earlier that you are directly involved with the medical team, so I hope this might be of some help.
Well, IMHO, not that obvious point from where the investigation should also be commenced - are public toilets in Hamburg area.
From the clue of infected women outnumbering men - I was thinking what women (of any age) usually do what men most commonly don't do. Well, women do use toilet paper after urination, while men don't. This leads to the obvious conclusion, that women use toilet paper more frequently, and more so, applying it on the delicate epitelia arround urinary tract.
Infection getting through the urinary tract, also explains the cases of kidney failure. Since e-choli gets through any epitelia, anus as well, geting in touch with contaminated toilet paper (after defecation) does not exclude men, who however for the obvious reason, use the toilet paper less frequently.
In any case, public toilets are easily aproachable places (in case of terrorist bio attack, or any other case).

Any thoughts?

Urgh public toilets I hate them...
What should we do now though?. We usually call having to deal with no paper *shaking the lettuce*

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Urgh public toilets I hate them...
What should we do now though?. We usually call having to deal with no paper *shaking the lettuce*

Had to look up what "shaking the lettuce" means
There's always something new to learn I guess

As for the public toilets, there is not really a trace which leads to 'em, we'll have to wait and see but for *now* it *seems* that public toilets (apart from being gross) aren't the source of the problem and can be used.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Why so many women are ill remains a puzzle. If the source is fresh produce, were they more likely to have eaten the vegetables or chopped and prepared them?

"We don't know why women, particularly younger women, seem to be most vulnerable" Willich said. "Maybe that has something to do with exposure. Maybe those women just tend to eat more salad than others."

The aggressiveness of the pathogen is also shocking, he says.

The case fatality is surprisingly high. Hospitals are loaded with hundreds and hundreds of patients, and that's frightening.

Schmidt says this is by far the most terrible event of his career. "We had a lot more people with influenza two years ago," he said, "but that was nothing compared to this. We have a lot of people dying."

Five of these days take 15 years off my life," he said, as the phone on his desk rang, rang again, and then again.
source

These are highly trained professionals who are saying they have never seen anything like this in their career! What is the source?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by GalacticJoe

"We don't know why women, particularly younger women, seem to be most vulnerable" Willich said. "Maybe that has something to do with exposure. Maybe those women just tend to eat more salad than others."

These are highly trained professionals who are saying they have never seen anything like this in their career! What is the source?

Well, the quoted text says "particularly younger women" which is obviously not quite correct. I don't know if this is dis-info on the scientist's hands or just not knowing the facts...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Healthland talked with Martin Wiedmann, a professor of food science at Cornell University
There are six serotypes known as the 'Big 6' that are commonly associated with severe types of diseases like kidney failure, severe diarrhea. [The serotype in Germany] is a new one and it's intriguing: one key gene we thought was important for E. coli to cause severe illness was one that encodes intimin, which allows E. coli to intimately attach to human intestinal cells. This serotype doesn't have that gene, which is really surprising. So there's something unusual going on; a lot of the evidence suggests it's a very unusual bacterium.

One of the other genes that's important is carried by a virus, which can move genetic material from one bacteria to another. Phages, viruses that can infect bacteria, often introduce new genetic material, so you might see an emergence of some traits that way. They can move genetic material from one bacteria to another — including going between serotypes. One of the genes that's important [that causes illness] is a gene that can carry toxins from one E. coli to another E. coli.
source

Would any members be willing to share an interpretation of this? What does this mean? Is there more evidence that the bacterium is very unusual as the professor states?
edit on 1-6-2011 by GalacticJoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I dont know about the rest of the members on this site, but me personally, i feel like Hell is being released on earth. I believe Lucifer's crew is being ushered in through multimedia...radio, tv, internet. Look how fast morals and standards are being wiped out of existance, as if they never occured. Keep in mind....we are 'spirit' beings in an earth suit...and anger, bitterness, fornication, adultery, homosexuality, whoremongering are all 'spirits'. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities and powers, spiritual hosts of wickedness in heavenly places. This is what we're up against: Rulers of darkness!

Keep in mind, the people running our 'show' called life....worship and serve Lucifer...and they have given their souls to him, like the believer has given their lives to Christ. The 'devil' wants earth to be as sad for man, as is in hell. All one has to do, is look around and see...evil running amuck!

The crazy thing is...people don't even know they're demon possessed...they think it's 'NORMAL'. God is love, and backbiting, lying, cheating and stealing; amongst other things..is HARDLY 'normal'. I fear the day (not) when the 1/3 of the fallen angels arrive, in full. Not sure how many 1/3 is but i feel like it's almost there!

As it stands, seafood could be tainted with corexit, beef and chicken have their issues, fruits and veggies are exploding and being poisened, what next? Maybe there will be a 'zombie apocalypse', as there will be nothing left to eat, but each other!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Upon receiving the bacterial DNA samples, BGI finished sequencing the genome of the bacterium within three days using their third-generation sequencing platform — Ion Torrent by Life Technologies. Bioinformatics analysis revealed that this E. coli is a new strain of bacteria that is highly infectious and toxic. According to the results of the current draft assembly (available for download at ftp.genomics.org.cn...), the estimated genome size of this new E. coli strain is about 5.2 Mb. Sequence analysis indicated this bacterium is an EHEC serotype O104 E. coli strain; however, this is a new serotype — not previously involved in any E. coli outbreaks. Comparative analysis showed that this bacterium has 93% sequence similarity with the EAEC 55989 E. coli strain, which was isolated in the Central African Republic and known to cause serious diarrhea. This new strain of E. coli, however, has also acquired specific sequences that appear to be similar to those involved in the pathogenicity of hemorrhagic colitis and hemolytic-uremic syndrome. The acquisition of these genes may have occurred through horizontal gene transfer. The analysis further showed that this deadly bacterium carries several antibiotic resistance genes, including resistance to aminoglycoside, macrolides and Beta-lactam antibiotics
source

Any experts out there?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Early evidence suggests the bacteria has genes from two distinct groups of E. coli: enteroaggregative E. coli (EAEC) and enterohemorrhagic E. coli (EHEC).
Dr Paul Wigley, reader in foodborne diseases at Liverpool University said: "One nasty bacteria seems to have acquired a toxin from another nasty bacteria which has resulted in an even nastier bug.
"It seems it is producing two toxins which cause the damage and lead to bloody diarrhoea and damage to tissues including the kidneys

www.bbc.co.uk...

it seems that they can't find the source still and say it may never be found!
makes you wonder if this is not some kind of terrorist biological attack

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join