It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tepco confirms meltdowns at 2 more Fukushima reactors

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Tepco confirms meltdowns at 2 more Fukushima reactors

news.yahoo.com

TOKYO (Reuters) – Tokyo Electric Power Co, the operator of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant disabled by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, confirmed on Tuesday that there had been meltdowns of fuel rods at three of the plant's reactors early in the crisis.

The government and experts said previously that fuel rods at three of Daiichi's six reactors had likely melted early in the crisis, but the utility, also known as Tepco, had only confirmed a meltdown of fuel rods at the No. 1 reactor.

On Tuesday, Tepco officials announced that fuel rods had also melted at the plant's No
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Now 3 Reactors in full meltdown.
This is only getting worse, trust me.
The blatant disinformation that is going on is a disgrace to human intelligence.

some more to add,

"In the early stages of the crisis Tepco may have wanted to avoid panic. Now people are used to the situation - nothing is resolved but normal business has resumed in places like Tokyo," said Koichi Nakano, a political science professor at Sophia University.

Thats what TEPCO did, and still does! Better release 100 small lies then one big lie.
The Japanese are supposed to have a high feeling of honour.
Let's see it.

OnlyLove

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
It's so disappointing that this has to be breaking "alternative" news right now...

Thanks for the info OP

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
This is why they supposedly waited so long to release this information:

The word "meltdown" has such a strong connotation that when the situation was more uncertain, more people probably would have fled Tokyo, he said.

WTF?!?!
edit on 24-5-2011 by MrEuphoric1 because: (no reason given)

Kinda seems like they want people to die!!
edit on 24-5-2011 by MrEuphoric1 because: im stoopid

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MrEuphoric1

Yeah they invented the words "Partial meltdown" for that, just by adding the word 'partial' to it makes it sound less dangerous.
There is no such thing as a partial meltdown!
If fuel rods melt it's a meltdown period. I wonder how long it will take for the Japanese to wake up and kick some ass.

OnlyLove

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Hhhmmm.
Its sad, all the possible outcome, I think we all feel the same.

The only thing is, we dont see any negative affects.. yet.
The silent killer, for certain. Our friend according to Ann Coulter.
I dont wanna take position here because i know, stress is a killer too.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
A shame I have never had the opportunity to visit the beautiful nation of Japan, because it seems that in the decades ahead, it's not a place one would want to visit. My feelings go out towards the people of Japan. Godspeed to them in coping with all the misery that is still to come.

Meanwhile, the IAEA is doing a wonderful job in covering up the scale of this event. No worries people, the government has the situation fully under control. Nuclear energy is the way to go
Before this disaster happened, I used to support nuclear energy, as we have very few alternatives to produce energy cheaply at a large scale. I considered the risk to be reasonable. Nuclear energy seemed safe to me and would only become safer as technology advances, but it turned out once again that human beings can't be given control over such dangerous technology. We are too reckless and negligent to understand the true dangers of nuclear energy as the Fukushima disaster re-affirmed.

God, what are we making a mess of this world.
edit on 24-5-2011 by Mdv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by OnlyLove

"The Japanese" and "Tepco" are not one and the same thing. Tepco have no honour, the Japanese people still do. Come on, make the distinction, dont`t blame the whole country for this, when it is Tepco, and the Government who are at fault. Tepco are corporate whores, whose only desire is to make money, whose only concern is money.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Just how would `kicking ass` help anything? Would it stop the plants melting down/blowing up? Would it help the country at all? People are protesting, they are out on the streets, it is just not being shown. I myself was marching with other mothers and children on Saturday, protesting this. Farmers are protesting, parents, hell, a farmer even brought one of his cows to the Tokyo tepco headquarters. What would help? Rioting? How would that help?

The media all over the world is downplaying this, painting any person who dares to say `this is dangerous` as a bit crazy. The Japanese government have closed down tsurugu plant and Hamaoka, and have criticized Tepco, not enough, but it is not `nothing` either.
Im here in Japan, what exactly do you want me and mine to do?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

bump
for bringing reality to the situation
spin is more important than life to the money men
i will pray (im not even religious) for the people of japan

may the lies choke in the throats of those who seek to hide the truth
may karma seek out those that have destroyed our world

xploder

edit on 24-5-2011 by XPLodER because: spelding

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThousandIslandSunny

Just how would `kicking ass` help anything? Would it stop the plants melting down/blowing up? Would it help the country at all? People are protesting, they are out on the streets, it is just not being shown. I myself was marching with other mothers and children on Saturday, protesting this. Farmers are protesting, parents, hell, a farmer even brought one of his cows to the Tokyo tepco headquarters. What would help? Rioting? How would that help?

The media all over the world is downplaying this, painting any person who dares to say `this is dangerous` as a bit crazy. The Japanese government have closed down tsurugu plant and Hamaoka, and have criticized Tepco, not enough, but it is not `nothing` either.
Im here in Japan, what exactly do you want me and mine to do?

It was only a figure of speech, no disrespect ment.
And i never said anything about 'rioting'.
I have much respect for the people of Japan.
It's sad to hear that you guys are protesting and not getting any further with this issue.

Like you said the media is downplaying this and thats just the whole issue here. Just like it was silent with Tsjernobyl. I get the idea that Tepco is withholding lots of information and only releases 'snippets' of news to avoid mass panic.
Is this the right thing to do? If we go by that other INES Lvl 7 disaster, no not really.

Again sorry if I offended you, stay safe.
OnlyLove

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
The way this situation happened it seems like TEPCO had one guy standing there with a radio going "No meltdown....no meltdown.... n...wait.....wait..... no meltdown.....meltdown......".

A country should have a test meltdown to see how they react (LOL) in the situation

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
By the way, I'm curious how this disaster is going to affect the world as we are kept in the dark on the dangers caused by disaster on a global level. Shipping containers originating from Japan were recently denied access in the port of Rotterdam due to radioactive contamination. Is the world going to boycott Japanese goods in the future?

And how does radiation affect the world anyway? When Chernobyl happened, my mom was pregnant with me and people all over Europe were strongly discouraged not to eat various foods. With Fukushima being way more severe, governments are acting like other than the Japanese, the world has no reason to be frightened or take precautionary measures. What can we do anyway against long-term radioactive contamination danger?
edit on 24-5-2011 by Mdv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Only love - I took `kicking ass` to mean some kind of violent demonstration - as in rioting or some such action.

The Government here, and abroad wants calm in Japan. It wants calm so the markets are calm, so tourists come, so the economy doesnt suffer in the short to medium term. Of course they are not saying `hey cancer cases are going to rise`, they are not going to tell anyone the risks, let alone the truth. It all comes out in drips, slowly, so people barely notice.

If they had said `we have meltdown in 3 reactors` on the 16th March, days after the quake, people would have panicked. I would have run for the hills, leaving husband behind, probably emptying family bank accounts in the process, as I was already quake weary and tired. Its not right they did not give people the opportunity to make informed choices, but there you are. Tell me this fact now, in late May, when Ive had time to process everything, and calm down a little, of course Im scared, but think `oh well, the damage is already done now`. Of course Im angry, they KNEW this ages ago. Im angry, but what am I going to do? I dont know.

Im tired, and Im tired of people blaming `the Japanese`, when ordinary Japanese are suffering and are going to suffer whilst the very few get very rich indeed, and peddle their spin so they think we will all just keep on taking the hits, and they can keep on getting richer.

Thanks for the apology, it wasn`t needed.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
They released the news about the meltdown in No 1 to see what reaction there would be to the real story. They found very little interest and so now admit to 3 melt downs.

Why now? Because the news blackout is working. My guess is there is even worse to come but they are now laying out a defence that they told everyone to cover their backsides not protect their countrymen.

I suspect we have a few days to let the dust settle from this news. Then we get the big one.

We were told when Chernobyl went up it was because it was old design, that modern plants could not and would not go out of control.

We are now being told the same thing about Japanese plants.

All the time we keep swallowing this BS they will keep feeding it to us.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
A recent thread here www.abovetopsecret.com...

They admit that it will be at least January of 2012 before Fukushima is under control

The firm at the centre of Japan's worst nuclear accident insisted on Tuesday it would bring stricken reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant under control by January 2012, despite evidence that the complex is more seriously damaged than previously thought.

Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) said it would try new methods to cool the reactors, but would stick with its original plan, announced a month ago, to stabilise radiation levels and bring the units to a stable condition – a process known as "cold shutdown" – within six to nine months.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

How can you shut something down when there is nothing to shut down. This will take a lot longer then 2012 I'm sure of it.

OnlyLove.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
This is complete non-news for anyone who bothered to follow the first 100 pages of the official Fukushima mega-thread.

I recall watching a video of one of the reactors KaBLAmmooOOing within the fist week, and then members were pouring out tidbits that pointed towards meltdown of at least 3 cores. That stuck in my mind from that point on, and I just laughed at everyone who tried to say otherwise.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Problem is now it's official. I read that thread to and yes many said they were in full meltdown, now it's confirmed.
Just saw it breaking and posted it. Not all members want to read a 888 page thread.
That's also the reason I made a recap thread for does people.

OnlyLove.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Understood, and appreciate your efforts.

Peace.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join