It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What knife do you carry??

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Homedawg

Here no knives cant be carried...

A person carrying a knife here generally means they are upto no good! Also the ammount of stabbings that happen here crazy, pathetic and kind of sick of reading about it.

Question should come from and be aimed at people who go hunting etc but instead hes saying ''I carry knives in the city'' :S

Personally I wouldnt want anyone nowhere near me whether on the tube, bus etc knowing they are in possession.

Silly thread to be honest.
edit on 24-5-2011 by lukeUK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I have gone through a variety of folding pocket knives. All of which at one time or another, I carried routinely.

Gibbs rules #9. Never go anywhere without a knife.

Even before I watched that show, I followed the rule, eh birds of a feather.

Any ways, one of my favorite blades was the Gerber Gator with 1/2 Serrated edge. But it got lost or snaked, so it needed a replacement. Eventually settled on a Great-neck, that came in a camper set, compass multi tool, flashlight and the folding knife. Unfortunately I an very rough on my gear, and its plastic handle broke apart after a year of use.

So after much searching I found a CRKT M16 Titanium folding Tanto that was rugged enough to survive a combat deployment in Iraq. That is one handle I couldn't damage, very rugged knife.

As it is now, I carry mostly a gerber multi plier, which has both straight and serrated blades.
Of course, I own knives for just about any occasion, so depending on what I am doing or about to do, the blade I will have varies.

I have a bench made seat belt cutter, Air force survival knife , K bar, and a few loose folders stuffed in go bags and what not.

Of course I am still searching for that one knife does all, but that is a challenge we all can vouch for.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by lukeUK

But that wasnt the question...what was asked was"what knife do you carry?..not what do you think of peiople who carry knives.....sounds like people are looking for an argument or an excuse to bash someone,not answer simple questions?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
In the UK thugs and criminals carry knives.....its as simple as that.
We have a very different view when it comes to knives
I dont carry a knife...so thats my simple answer to the Op;s question

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by lukeUK
Question should come from and be aimed at people who go hunting etc but instead hes saying ''I carry knives in the city'' :S

Personally I wouldnt want anyone nowhere near me whether on the tube, bus etc knowing they are in possession.

That may be in the UK, but throughout much of the US, it is a perfectly legitimate question. Much as with gun rights, the views of people in the UK and the US vary greatly when it comes to knife laws. Over here, its not only legal to carry a folding pocket knife in most jurisdictions, its socially acceptable as well.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Dont see the point in carrying a "weapon"

If you are carrying a knife and someone attacks you....you have to be prepared to use it....and be prepared for the consequences...ie: They disarm you and now have the knife....not good.

I personally believe your asking for trouble if you carry a knife. ( in the UK definitely )

Its got to be an American thing...this whole needing a weapon all of the time for protection against terrorists, muggers, rapists etc. Why soooooo much fear?????

A nation full of hate and fear....spreading your hate and fear everywhere....not nice

( i dont dislike American people per say....i dislike some of the things they do )

Again, get educated. Most do not carry them for protection.

I think its you who needs the education.....here in the uk knife crime is climbing. In 2006 163 thousand knife crimes were committed...thats more than double your gun crime in the same period....and you have considerably more people in your country.

We dont have guns...so people use knives. Most of the people who carry knives like you have shown do so as a weapon.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Who needs a 10" hunting knife to cut open a cardboard box?? Doesn't your employer provide the tools to open boxes?

Knife crime may not be a major problem where you live...but it is here.
Our opinions will be different, people carry them here for weapons...in the USA they carry them encase they cant work out how to open a box

Knife crime is climbing because it is a crime to carry a knife. Let me repeat that:

KNIFE CRIME IS CLIMBING BECAUSE IT IS A CRIME TO CARRY A KNIFE. When having one on you without a 'legal' reason to do so is a crime, the numbers will be high. That is no indicator of ANYTHING other than a silly law.

You say most people who carry knives carry them as a weapon. That is simply a blatant lie. By simply looking at numbers, that is an outright lie. Heck, most people I know have different knives for different jobs (i.e. fishing, work, multi-tool, etc).

You truly do show your ignorance on this subject. Do you think the majority of knives are 10 in hunting blades? Come on now. Thats false to the point of being laughable. Most knives are 2-4 inch blades.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I've carried a pocket knife of some sort since I was in the second grade.. I would choose a baseball bat over a knife as a weapon mainly due to the horrifying mess sticking or cutting would make of my mind... I have recently purchased an Osborne designed "Rift" lock blade by "BENCHMADE" USA and it is with me everywhere I go except at places that specifically prohibit the carrying of this type of knife. So far that means government buildings and VA Medical facilities..I carry a walking stick or cane when I'm out and about so I am somewhat armed if a situation arises where I must defend myself... I have well over 50 different knives or bladed tools that I keep an edge on that you can shave with.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I have a sword. Does this count as a knife?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I dont know where you live but people are always being stabbed around the country. Every time i open the newspaper theres something about a group of people being stabbed or shot.

I myself was robbed and stabbed 9 times in march.
My brothers father in law was robbed and stabbed, a taxi driver was stabbed to death, chopped up and thrown in a river near to my house.
A group of kids gate crashed a party in a hall near to me and stabbed a load of other kids.
A man was stabbed and robbed of his car near to me.

Oh and guess what....i dont live in some ghetto or inner city council estate. I live in a very nice area....well it was nice until everyone started carrying knives.

Thats just a few things that have happened near me. The list is far too long to post on here. Every day....someone stabbed in the news.

Yea, some people need knives for work as a tool. You dont need to carry a knife 24 hours a day, fisherman dont carry their knives into the supermarket at the weekend. Butchers dont bring their knives to a pub...they are a tool to some and a weapon to most.

If i walked up to you with a 6" knife in my hand...doesnt matter what kind, just a big sharp shiny knife...what would you do?? Would you assume i was just coming home from work or there to rob you of your shiny new ipad 2??

I dont like knives, they serve a purpose and shouldnt be carried in public. Too many nutters and people with short tempers.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I dont know where you live but people are always being stabbed around the country. Every time i open the newspaper theres something about a group of people being stabbed or shot.

My brothers father in law was robbed and stabbed, a taxi driver was stabbed to death, chopped up and thrown in a river near to my house.
A group of kids gate crashed a party in a hall near to me and stabbed a load of other kids.

Oh and guess what....i dont live in some ghetto or inner city council estate. I live in a very nice area....well it was nice until everyone started carrying knives.

Thats just a few things that have happened near me. The list is far too long to post on here. Every day....someone stabbed in the news.

Yea, some people need knives for work as a tool. You dont need to carry a knife 24 hours a day, fisherman dont carry their knives into the supermarket at the weekend. Butchers dont bring their knives to a pub...they are a tool to some and a weapon to most.

If i walked up to you with a 6" knife in my hand...doesnt matter what kind, just a big sharp shiny knife...what would you do?? Would you assume i was just coming home from work or there to rob you of your shiny new ipad 2??

I dont like knives, they serve a purpose and shouldnt be carried in public. Too many nutters and people with short tempers.

1)You read about them all the time because fear is the media's best seller.

2)I do know that there are far too many stabbings in the UK. I have to wonder, though, how hi those numbers would be in an area where ALL people (not just the criminals) could carry something. ANYTHING.

3)I carry my knife 24 hours a day. I find new ways to use it, every single day. I don't use it for my work.

4)Your scenario is ridiculous. How many people are out walking around with hunting knives in their hand?? The vast majority of knives are in someones pocket, unnoticed by those around them. Nobody is talking about walking around with blade pointed at everyone who walks by.

For the record though, you walk up to me with a hunting blade out and pointed at me, that's a threat. I don't carry a knife as a weapon. But I have my CCW.

That is such an asinine, sensationalistic argument that I cant even believe I bothered to respond.
edit on 24-5-2011 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Did you really ask that? Me, I would use my knife to pin your arm wielding the knife to the ground and proceed to do the donkey stomp. Might even smack ya with the shiny iPad to prove it had nothing to do with my material possession and everything to do with the brazen individual brandishing the blade, but that's just me being a silly American and not wanting to get threatened and all.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrinceDreamer
What on earth do you walk around carrying a knife for? Are you really that scared you have to carry a weapon with you all the time?

I personally find that most people that carry weapons around are just scared little cowards, same as those that carry guns all the time, just afraid, then feel "MANLY" because they have a weapon to back up their big mouths

If you need to carry a weapon with you all the time, you really need to look at your life style seriously

Ha ha. I agree..... somewhat.

However, ever heard of knives being used as tools?

I would never carry a knife a a self defense weapon. I guarantee that anyone who does carry for self defense has most likely never even used their knife let alone know how to use it as a cutting or survival tool. There are exceptions though of course. Most people could not fight their way out of a paper bag and would probably fail dismally if they tried to use a knife as a self defense weapon. Those who who how to fight generally have no need for a knife anyway.

Anyway to answer the OP's question.

Either a Benchmade 940, A Spyderco ParaMilitary or a Rat1 folder.

If out 'bush' and need a real tool I would take one of the above (probably the para) and my favourite all round camping/survival knife - > Busse DSSF

Otherwise would have to make do with the ESSE Rat4.

BTW, all fixed blades wrapped in 550 paracord.

Cheers

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Id bet if the citizens were allowed to be armed,there wouldnt be all those stabbings...statistics show that everywhere carry permits are allowed,violent crime goes down....Im also willing to bet back when you were allowed firearms stabbings werent in the news nearly as much?...Ill keep my 2nd amedment rights and take my chances.....its that or give up my firearms and live with thugs with knives and no way to defend myself...."God made man,and Col Colt made them equal"...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I carry a razor wit, and pointed sarcasm.

(and a sharper-than-sh*t Winchester lock blade)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Homedawg

Amen my man. There is such a thing as a right to defend oneself.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Thank You

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Some people do carry knives and use them for protection. I do not think it is some tiny minority either like some people in thread make it out to be.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join