It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is sound and vibration a construct of the mind?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I consider reality a construct of the mind(not brain).I hope that makes sense because i believe that is where quantum physics is going or is. Now having said that i here a lot about sound and light and a question i keep asking myself is this.

Is sound and light a construct of the mind?

This may or may not have very serious implications on what people may or may not believe spiritually. Hence if they are constructs of the mind then their affect on our spiritual being outside of the fact that they exist only to the mind as they are experienced by the mind is nill.
edit on 24-5-2011 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Well, you might as well be asking if the mouse pointer's actions are a construct of the computer or a physical input of the mouse.. Both are correct from a certain point of view

I have a chronic genetic degenrative hearing loss. What makes it interesting is that my ears are mechanically just fine. The hearing loss is either in the nerves travelling to my brain or the audio processing centers of my brain. For me it is irrelevant.. every day I get a little more deaf.

Personal opinion.. doesn't matter what is happening outside your brain.. garbage in garbage out...so to speak.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

What about this...

Put someone in a sound proof box. No lights.. No sounds. Take them to a far off place. Lift the vale but keep him blindfolded. Ask them to identify the sounds around. Then lift the blindfold and ask them what he see's. I would guess that this person would see and hear the same thing anyone else would that may be standing near.

Vocal chords move with vibration to create sound. The lights in a home or the sun creates light. I'm not sure how we can pull ourselves from that reality to be able to witness a mind without a physicle brain.

That's just my take on it. Yet I guess you could say that the mind would percieve distance and time wether or not we are aware of it. "Body clock" comes to mind. Still that leaves us grounded to see only what we are alowed to see. If it is possible to have a seperation of mind and brain, how would one do this in a way other than a possible imaginative "astrial" manner? Using the mind's eye could very well be just that, our own imagination.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
So does the sound and vibration happen outside of the brain? If the brain is responsible for the interface of reality, then on what level are we able to manipulate the experience of sound as experienced by the brain?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Well since sound and vibration makes music...

then I guess this is my field of expertise...

No it isnt a construct of the mind...

Its physics and mathematical algorithms or some fancy definition like that...

If it were all just a construct of the mind...
It wouldn't take me 4 hours to figure out how to translate the music in my head to paper...
i could instantly write it down...

wish it were

sound is cause and effect....

something causes it... take for example an explosion....
the effect is a shock wave of concussive energy and sound

...also if you havent heard a particular sound before... how could you compare it with others...

I personally hate the sound of my wife's voice when she starts bitching about things...

If it were just a construct of the mind... I would imagine her menstrual fevered verbal rampages being the sweet sweet sound of Angels and Birds singing

Nope... its
"Blah Blah this and Blah Blah that... I don't like that..."

for the record she says the same thing about me... except for that menstrual part... cos I don't do that...

interesting concept you got there onequestion...
I like people who step out of the box and dare to think a little

edit on 5/24/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
So does the sound and vibration happen outside of the brain? If the brain is responsible for the interface of reality, then on what level are we able to manipulate the experience of sound as experienced by the brain?

Sound does happen outside the brain. Everything else is effected by the sound.. leaves shake, water gets rippled... even if you were not there.

The only way to manipulate energy is to physically manipulate it as it happens. But the cause of the sound we have no control over. At least at the level you are talking about. if you go deeper in the rabbit hole, then sound is just energy, and we manipulate certain energies probably trillions of times a second in our brains. Every time we make a choice we are somehow..someway.. magically creating connections and changing certain neurons and making a thought happen. We control that, its called a choice. The moment you choose, things...actual matter and energy change in your brain to accommodate that choice and your reality is forever changed.
edit on 24-5-2011 by R3KR because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Depends what you mean by "sound", but vibrations do exist out of the mind unless you're an existentialist.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   

NO my friend, our natural sensors eyes, ears, skin, magnetic field, et all can perceive much more than we can process, we are taught instead to give precedence to some inputs over others, by education, culture and indoctrination into our current societal forms of slavery.

What is a construct of the mind is the way it interprets and gives sense and meaning to the input, for instance, out of the electromagnetic visible spectrum we can only "detect" and / or, perceive a tiny bit checkt this out if you dont know it already:

TextThe visible spectrum is the portion of the electromagnetic spectrum that is visible to (can be detected by) the human eye. Electromagnetic radiation in this range of wavelengths is called visible light or simply light. A typical human eye will respond to wavelengths from about 390 to 750 nm.[1] In terms of frequency, this corresponds to a band in the vicinity of 400–790 THz. A light-adapted eye generally has its maximum sensitivity at around 555 nm (540 THz), in the green region of the optical spectrum (see: luminosity function). The spectrum does not, however, contain all the colors that the human eyes and brain can distinguish.

and

The "visible window" is so called because it overlaps the human visible response spectrum. The near infrared (NIR) windows lie just out of the human response window, and the Medium Wavelength IR (MWIR) and Long Wavelength or Far Infrared (LWIR or FIR) are far beyond the human response region. Many species can see light with frequencies outside the "visible spectrum," which is defined in terms of human vision. Bees and many other insects can see light in the ultraviolet, which helps them find nectar in flowers. Plant species that depend on insect pollination may owe reproductive success to their appearance in ultraviolet light, rather than how colorful they appear to humans. Birds, too, can see into the ultraviolet (300–400 nm), and some have sex-dependent markings on their plumage, which are only visible in the ultraviolet range.[

source

its the same with our ears only some frequencies are detected and then interpreted.

one example could be the general acceptance of ghosts in Indonesia, Malaysia, and several others, ghost sightings are commonly accepted, thus more frequent in number, in our modernized western hemisphere countries ghosts are nonsense and impossible, even when a large number of people have heard or actually seen, but some rarely speak lest they be called loons!

Our beliefs can even determine us to feel no empathy towards other human beings, our beliefs also make us invulnerable to the cries of nature and life in general, we believe to always be doing the right thing, when of the vast infinite possibilities in the Universe, we can only sense and react to a very tiny portion, how can we proclaim to know or interpret everything as total absolutes, there is so much more to "reality" than we can imagine!

This site is the proof!

cheers!

THe UNIVERSE is just vibrations, we perceive some as light some as sound, our very own lights and sound show!

edit on 24-5-2011 by TheOneEyedProphet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

If it were all just a construct of the mind... It wouldn't take me 4 hours to figure out how to translate the music in my head to paper... i could instantly write it down...

You hit the nail on the head. Man i don't think i could have said it better myself.

Look....

Mozart showed prodigious ability from his earliest childhood in Salzburg. Already competent on keyboard and violin, he composed from the age of five and performed before European royalty. At 17, he was engaged as a court musician in Salzburg, but grew restless and travelled in search of a better position, always composing abundantly. While visiting Vienna in 1781, he was dismissed from his Salzburg position.

You see?

Source...

You see what i am gettin at here?

BTW Ty Evol!
edit on 24-5-2011 by onequestion because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Its beautiful to know the truth sometimes. As beautiful as some of this music.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
haha

Your welcome

But...
you bent my words...

but tell me... why does the sound of a microwave timer going off....
irritate me?

If your theory was true... wouldnt my mind make up a pleasant sound instead?

Cos i really fracking hate that sound... when the microwave is done...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Well, i would say, because you want it to. But then i would sound like the oracle from the matrix.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
To answer this question, we would have to ask whether or not physical objects can be sentient. For example, is a rock conscious? A tree? Would they experience sound and light, or would they have a rough sense of "feeling" - or would a rock only experience itself consciously when a person reaches out to hold it, the sensations of holding the rock, experienced by the handler and the rock itself.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Yes they are.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Sound is a physical construct that exists outside of our perception of reality. However all that sound is, is merely air pressure vibrating to a specific frequency. The actual timbre of the sound (by this I mean the "sound" of the sound) is actually our brain converting these vibrations into what IT perceives as sound.

Until someone can listen to vibrating air pressures without incorporating the often biased perception of a human brain (somewhat impossible in this case), the truth of the matter is that we'll never know just how correct our "reality" is and how much of it is a construct our brain creates to allow us to survive and flourish.

new topics

top topics

join