It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever been laying down and heard your name screamed(in your mind)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Here's my explanation for what's happening:
Since this is mostly occurring at night while people are falling asleep, its probably just a "loose" neuron firing. Sort of like what happens in most dreams, neurons fire "randomly." Seeing as the brain has tons of neurons that are coded for your name(Ever notice how you can be in a crowded room, and if someone calls your name it is very easy to pick out who said it and where it came from, its because your brain has so many neurons coded for your name), it makes sense that it would be your name that is "shouted" out.
And yes I have heard my name once or twice before while falling asleep, I'm pretty sure it was in my mother's voice.
And yes, I do have a degree in psychology

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
reply to post by bcroper

Not my name screamed but I have been lying down settling down to sleep and been startled by a slap on the back of my head...and it wasn't my wife. I was alone in the house and I could still feel it when I sat up. Also, the windows in my house will start rattling for no reason late at night...anyone had that happen?

This just happened to me for the first time ever last week. I was still awake, not asleep yet, but laying in bed and I felt a thump on the back of my head. I live alone, no pets. Nothing falling from a shelf or ceiling. At the time I felt like it was something like an apple hitting my head. Not only did my whole body recoil in surprise, but I actually heard the sound of it hitting the back of my head, and I continued to feel the impact of it for a while. Yet nothing was around. Just my empty bedroom.

I have also many times heard voices before going to sleep, and loud explosions. Huge earth-shaking booms. Echoing voices sometimes calling my name, sometimes like people in the room but who aren't there. It's not a dream, it happens before going to sleep but after laying down and is somewhat rare, yet one of the most fascinating phenomenons I've experienced.

The head smack was an entirely new experience though.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

No kids doc, but i have had the same thing as everyone else.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Thanks to THIS thread, I've recovered my login details! I felt so compelled to reply because YES, I've had this happen to me more than once and only during a certain period in my life.

It started when I was 6 or 7, when we moved into our new house. One night as I layed in bed listening to music over the headphones, all of a sudden, as loud as could be, my name came screaming out to me. Sounded JUST like my mother! I thought, oh crap, I might be in trouble... I hid the music player and headphones and darted out of my room and down the hall to the living room. I said, "What?!" .. and my mother gave me a strange look, almost like she was upset, and said "nothing, go to bed!". Me: "But I thought you called my name-" , "No, I didn't, now go off to bed!." (I was interrupting her evening "show").

So I went back to bed, kinda feeling like I still knew better and somebody who sounded just like my mom shouted for me... So back in bed I was, listening to my tunes as I was before, enjoying the fact that I was disobeying my parents wishes to not listen to music when going to sleep. Rebelling early, as it were. Then all of a sudden, almost louder than before, my name was shouted out loud.. Again I went out to the livingroom and got the same response from my parents... "I was hearing things"...

It turns out, and this is best saved for another post, but the house we moved into was being occupied by a spirit of some kind. It played tricks on our minds and intimidated my mother and I (we were the only two with strong perception). We actually had to have the house cermonially smudged by local native americans before the spirit seemed to go away.

I hope this helps shed some light

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by nonnez
reply to post by fooks

I'll be honest here. the scariest thing I had ever heard was a whisper, a very ominous whisper, in my ear as I drifted off to sleep. The voice, very grubbily said: " I'll be waiting."
edit on 24-5-2011 by nonnez because: Just woke up and wrote before my brain was working.

I've never had my name called out but I have had other freaky things happen, your experiance put me in mind of one I had a couple of years ago when my daughter was still a baby, I'd just finished cleaning up the house and feeding my baby, I put her to bed and was really tired so I decided to lay down and rest my eyes for a bit. I was drifting off to sleep when a gentle voice said to me "why wont you wake to the promises I gave you when I called you forth from the ether?" (whatever that means!) then later as I was waking I saw a wooded glade type area with a big stone alter type thing and a guy stood in front of it, he was very effeminate with blonde hair, blue eyes, wearing a white robe and he said "I'm waiting for you" not in a nice way either (think creepy predatorish), it jolted me awake and it freaks me out to this day. When I was a teenager 13-16 I had very scary things happen when I closed my eyes even blinked, which I wont repeat here because I dont want to have it happen again, but yeah, no names but still frightening..... makes you wonder whats really out there...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by bcroper

OMG!! Yes, I have had two experiences and I will read more replies to see if any one of you have had the same.

Once when I was about 11 Years old. I was ALSO almost asleep when I heard a little boys voice saying my name and "hi", Cmon lets play" or something along those lines, Im really not sure if the "cmon lets play" thing was a thing he said but the voice was really outgoing and excited.

The other experience that I had was just a few weeks ago, where I was laying down almost asleep when I kept hearing voices and it literally scared the crap out of me!! I called my boyfriend in the room to see if he could hear them too and he said no so we quietly listened for minutes upon minutes to see if anything happened and when I would hear them he would not... It hurt to hear them as it felt like I couldn't decipher all of them and there were so many of them. I hated it, I don't know if I was just going crazy or what but its not a normal thing for me!! Anyways thanks for bringing this topic up I have been wanting to get that off my chest for a while now!!

edit on 24-5-2011 by Sarahraeann because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

I agree. It happened to me about 10 years ago I was laying down after I had gotten home from school. I dozed off for a few minutes then I heard a faint "Jay" (My name is Jerome but some people call me Jay) and it was a woman calling me with a soft "jay" and kept repeating my name "jay, jay, jay," crescendoing into a loud "JAY" then I woke up VERY quickly like I had heard a bomb explode it was so frightening. I always wondered why this happened...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

I will answer too

1) Yes...
2) At night (both times)
3) First time, No by myself, Second time,by myself at first then had my bf come in and he did not hear a thing.
4) The first was a little boys voice that sounded very excited and cheerful, The second was a mixture of chattering and almost like multiple conversations, Mostly or all female voices...
5) Don't believe so...
6) Not in these instances, but I have experienced that as well where I have heard music but mostly when I'm in and out of consciousness... or about to fall asleep or wake up

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I've heard screams on when I was in that hazy half asleep phase. It was so loud but silent at the same time, like maybe what a telepathic scream might sound like. I've also felt something lift one of my legs up and I'll swear to this day that it was as real as the keyboard I'm typing on. The scream happened in my current home but I'm fairly sure it wasn't paranormal because I've never really experienced anything here before, except for my very first sleep paralysis episode which was pretty scary. My leg being lifted...now that happened at an old apartment that I would bet anything was haunted. I never lived in a haunted place but that apartment...things happened on a daily basis and a lot of people experienced it. I later found out that there was a pool in the courtyard that they had to fill in "because people kept drowning". At least that's what my landlord told me. Sorry to go a bit off topic, but yeah, that period between awake & asleep is very strange indeed.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
i believe its called 'hypnagogic auditorial halucination' (or something similar). it started happening to me a few years ago.but after reading that its fairly common and not a sign of impending insanity it rarely happens to me now.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
More than once I have heard my name called, not screamed, while semi-awake. Very weird! It was the voice of a living person, not a ghost or anything.

Me too. I have been in bed and heard my name called and it be my mother's voice just as loud and clear. The thing is my mother is living. I swear if she was deceased I would have thought something funny was up! So weird.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by bcroper

I have had this happen to me several times during my life. I had my name yelled, said normally and whispered. It's usually a man's voice but not always. My dad died when I was just 4 so I always wondered if the male voice could have been him. Obviously, I do believe in ghosts.

Great thread! I look forward to reading through!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bcroper

i`ve never had my name screamed at me yet but there are many times when i`m awake that someone has spoken my name either next to me or from the other room . but here is a different one for you all in 2002 i was driving down the 401 highway in Toronto in a 2000 f150 that i bought new 18 months before ,when all of a sudden i heard this male voice scream get off the highway now ,i went up the off ramp and started across the overpass when all of a sudden the front end of me truck started to wobble on the front right side . the trucker coming in towards me say my problem and hammered his brakes and motioned me to get over .i just got the truck stopped and there was a loud clunk. i got out and looked at the front end -both tyrod ends had fallen off when i came to a stop . thank some one that i listened to that voice.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Here is an article that touches on what some others have already said in the thread......Stages Of Sleep

Talks about beta waves and alpha waves.

During the earliest phases of sleep, you are still relatively awake and alert. The brain produces what are known as beta waves, which are small and fast. As the brain begins to relax and slow down, slower waves known as alpha waves are produced. During this time when you are not quite asleep, you may experience strange and extremely vivid sensations known as hypnagogic hallucinations. Common examples of this phenomenon include feeling like you are falling or hearing someone call your name.

And even the myoclonic jerk which just happened to me today when I laid down for a nap.

Another very common event during this period is known as a myoclonic jerk. If you've ever startled suddenly for seemingly no reason at all, then you have experienced this odd phenomenon. While it may seem unusual, these myoclonic jerks are actually quite common.

I will note for myself that I don't sleep well at all. Never have. A freight train could come through the bedroom and my husband wouldn't hear it. I on the other hand could be woken by a butterfly. I do wear ear plugs to bed to help drown out the noise (specifically hubby snoring) and that helps. If it weren't for the ear plugs I wouldn't ever get any sleep.

So what I'm asking for those that have heard your name being called are you a light sleeper like me?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I had one experience kind of like this once. I was working in a warehouse about 8 years ago, that was reputed to be haunted. (though I did not know it at the time of this experience) I was sorting through some merchandise in a huge room, and while there were probably 6-8 people in the room with me, none was closer than about 50 feet. I heard somebody whisper my name, so I turned around, assuming it was one of my colleagues. I looked behind me, then ahead, and all of my coworkers were far away and absorbed in what they were doing, and too distant for me to have heard a whisper from any of them. Thinking I imagined it, I shrugged it off, but it happened about 5 seconds later again. I looked about and again saw no possible source for the faint voice.

About a week or two later, I was talking to another coworker from another warehouse owned by the same company, and she told me then about how the warehouse I was at was haunted. My first reaction was 'cool!' :p Then she told me about some of the stuff that the ghost would do, and one of the things was that it would whisper your name as if from a great distance, in exactly the way that happened to me. At that point, my reaction was pretty much like this:
and I told her about the above incident.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Yes!

I was once in the middle of a simple dream involving me at my grandmother's (deceased) house. I was dog-sitting for her & all of a sudden the phone rings. I didn't pick up, but when the answering machine did, I heard my name being called repeatedly. It kept getting louder. I walked down the hall to her old room & as I crossed the threshold I woke up (in real life).

What I woke up to startled me as much as the dream: My computer speakers were having some sort of power surge. Just as rhythmically as my name was being called the surges came: " woooooohhhp!! wooooooohhp !!woooooooohhp!!.

It was terrifying. I have never been that scared in my life.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
A few years ago I was sound asleep and heard my daughters voice say "Mom" right in my ear and I jolted awake. The thing is my daughter was away at college. I spent the rest of the night worried that she was in harms way.... It turned out she wasn't in any harm, so I guess it was just a dream. But very strange.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Yes, but not screamed. Both my name and 'mum' in my childrens voices and not while in bed or semi-asleep. One time "mum' was said with such desperate fear, like another poster, I thought it meant my kid was in trouble, oh the anxiety bubble from that!

But all was well, thank goodness. Weird how so many people have it happen.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
yes..but never screamed, spoken, always by my first name, and on one occasion, it's when i became a Christian; the other occasion was one very early childhood, and 2years ago, when I was lying in bed with my ear plugs in, and what sounded like my mom calling me, she's passed away now for 4 years~!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by reesie45

Originally posted by don rumsfeld
Read this.

Visual, auditory, tactile, and kinetic sensations can all be experienced during hypnagogic hallucinations, and everyone experiences slightly different forms.
I always used to feel like i was falling through a bottomless pit! Now i know why, lol. I heard that if you actually hit the ground when this happens, you die.

I had heard that as well..

One time I had a dream I was falling..and in my dream..I was thinking if I hit bottom I will die....for some odd reason I wanted to test it out in my dream..lol..so I let myself hit bottom... then I woke up.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join