Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Ever been laying down and heard your name screamed(in your mind)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Hmm, it seems like this happens to quite a few people but no real explanation as to what causes it, at least not yet anyway. Speculation time, when I was a little kid my grandmother always said if your nose itched it meant someone was talking about you, maybe when you hear your name it means someone is not only talking about you but they are pissed. OK I don't believe that for a second but maybe it's got something to do with your subconscious picking up on things you're otherwise unaware of. Oh and someone asked about the child connection, I have none if anyone's looking for a common theme.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Actually, this happens to everyone, everyday. It happens at the moment when we fall asleep, it's just that most of the time, since we're falling asleep, we don't notice it. Sometimes our sleeping gets disorderly, so instead of immediately falling asleep, you're awake a fraction of a second longer, just enough for your conscious mind to pick it up. And jerk you awake, of course.

I hardly notice it anymore, but as a child I used to hear it all the time. A woman's voice. I thought it was my mother's.

Also, as our nervous system is relaxing for sleep, if this is not properly synchronized, you will see an electrical flash. Nowadays, I see that more often. The first time it happens, you think it was lightning. But the sky is clear and your eyes were closed. Still, that's the exact effect. This also happens to everyone every night.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ajmusicmedia

But some of us have heard it while we were wide awake too

I know about the hallucinations we get when we're falling asleep or waking up, because I suffer from Sleep Paralysis, that's why I was shocked when I heard my name while being up and about.

edit on 24-5-2011 by Casandra because: Spelling

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I cannot begin to describe the chills that ran up my neck when I read the title of this thread.
I really didn't think this...whatever it is, was this common.
This has been happening to me every few months for years now. It often happens when I'm really relaxed and my mind is empty of thoughts, like after meditation and such.
It is always somewhat loud, very clear and often seems to originate just outside me somewhere to my left. Sometimes it sounds like a woman, sometimes like a man but always sounds familiar even though I don't recognize the voice.
edit on 5/24/2011 by dethduck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

I'll answer, maybe it'll help someone come up with a theory.

1) Awake, usually in the middle of something
2) It varies
3) Alone
4) It's usually a voice I don't recognize, though it has sounded like my youngest brother on occasion
5) Shortened version of my name, everyone calls me by it
6) Can't remember, I would guess no
7) Not that I can remember

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ajmusicmedia
Actually, this happens to everyone, everyday. It happens at the moment when we fall asleep, it's just that most of the time, since we're falling asleep, we don't notice it. Sometimes our sleeping gets disorderly, so instead of immediately falling asleep, you're awake a fraction of a second longer, just enough for your conscious mind to pick it up. And jerk you awake, of course.

I hardly notice it anymore, but as a child I used to hear it all the time. A woman's voice. I thought it was my mother's.

Also, as our nervous system is relaxing for sleep, if this is not properly synchronized, you will see an electrical flash. Nowadays, I see that more often. The first time it happens, you think it was lightning. But the sky is clear and your eyes were closed. Still, that's the exact effect. This also happens to everyone every night.

You are correct. They are called hypnagogic hallucinations. Perfectly normal.
edit on 24-5-2011 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by bigern

Thank you for answering

Maybe we'll be able to find something in common and come up with a possible explanation.
edit on 24-5-2011 by Casandra because: Spelling

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
It used to happen to me as a kid all the time. This while wide awake and playing legos. It was always my moms voice, and was very obviously induced my anxiousness to have her home, as she was at work and I very much disliked being alone at home with my step dad.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
hmmm so when someone is asleep the simplest way to wake them up is to call their name. Perhaps this is someone we know in dreamland trying to wake us up there.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
It's happened to me, but only when I was trying to sleep.

It's a hypnagogic hallucination.

en.wikipedia.org...

Hypnagogic imagery is often auditory or has an auditory component. Like the visuals, hypnagogic sounds vary in intensity from faint impressions to loud noises, such as crashes and bangs (exploding head syndrome).People may imagine their own name called or a doorbell ringing. Snatches of imagined speech are common. While typically nonsensical and fragmented, these speech events can occasionally strike the individual as apt comments on—or summations of—their thoughts at the time. They often contain word play, neologisms and made-up names. Hypnagogic speech may manifest as the subject's own "inner voice", or as the voices of others: familiar people or strangers. More rarely, poetry or music is heard.

Oops - someone else nailed it first.
edit on 5/24/2011 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by renegadeloser
hmmm so when someone is asleep the simplest way to wake them up is to call their name. Perhaps this is someone we know in dreamland trying to wake us up there.

That reminds me of that Futurama episode, The Sting, when Fry keeps telling Leela to wake up.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Yup what this guy and others said. This is normal. I have experienced all sorts of sleep issues/phenomena from night terrors to sleep paralysis including the "old hag sitting on your chest/back" to the names/sounds described in this thread. So I have heard my name jolt me awake but more often I actually feel an intense electric shock feeling literally jolt me awake sometimes when I'm drifting off, I'm not sure which is more unpleasant. Yes this can even happen when youre not in bed trying to sleep, often times when youre listening to music or something youre so relaxed that part of you starts to drift off to sleep without you realizing it and I think the sounds/name thing is your subconcious or w/e realizing you dont really want to sleep and jolting you back awake.

Anyways the sounds aren't so bad compared to sleep paralysis/night terrors, those really suck. So, nothing to worry about here guys, its just a natural, although weird, function of your brain..
edit on 24-5-2011 by darkest4 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   

I have to agree with you on this one. You describe my experiences as precisely as possible.

As a child I would probably hear this 3-4 times a week on average, and more than often it would include the jolt.
Now that I am older, 9 out of 10 times, it is just a white flash and sometimes the jolt. But I don't experience it quite as often. I love that we all have these similar experiences, makes us united in a way that can't be denied. I had the same feeling when I first read about ethereal spiders. It's just something a lot of us go through apparently.

Joe

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoeSignal

I have to agree with you on this one. You describe my experiences as precisely as possible.

As a child I would probably hear this 3-4 times a week on average, and more than often it would include the jolt.
Now that I am older, 9 out of 10 times, it is just a white flash and sometimes the jolt. But I don't experience it quite as often. I love that we all have these similar experiences, makes us united in a way that can't be denied. I had the same feeling when I first read about ethereal spiders. It's just something a lot of us go through apparently.

Joe

Just curious...what are ethereal spiders?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by reesie45

Try this thread: Ethereal Spiders

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Casandra
reply to post by reesie45

Try this thread: Ethereal Spiders
Woops, thanks!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by bcroper

Hmmmmmm! hearing voices in your head you say? Get to a doctor!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
It's happened to me numerous times and also been jolted awake as if something is slapping me on the back of the head, pretty damn hard too! Although the freakiest one for me was not my name being yelled. I was awake late one night and trying to sleep with my eyes closed. A whisper broke the silence and sounded as though it was right beside my head. It was saying "get up" repeatedly and ever increasing speed in it's repetitions. All of a sudden it screamed these words into my ear until I sat bolt upright! The strange thing was, it screamed it one last time while I was sitting up, wide awake staring into darkness. This ain't the end of it either...

Every night my room mate would get up exact same time, go for a squirt then get a glass of water from the kitchen. The morning after my occurrence he told me that as he was walking down the hall to the kitchen he saw an apparition of a man leaning over the kitchen bench. He paused then continued slowly down the hall and the sillouette dissipated to nothing.

Strange eh?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Yup many times.

I have also been sitting there and heard my name yelled in my ear. It happened one time at my old house and my roommates dog even sat up when it happened. I kind of just froze. It was a bit creepy since it was night and I was alone. I winded up turning all lights on in the house lol.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I can't remember the last time I heard my name screamed in bed.

But anything seems to happen when you're entering the sleep state. I'm sure it ties in to some emotional/personal issues we're not consciously aware of, perhaps a sense of urgency somewhere in there...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join