It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libya - 60 Days Passed, Senators write resolution backing Libya action

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A group of U.S. senators introduced a resolution on Monday expressing support for American military action in Libya, but it stops short of officially authorizing the action ordered by President Obama in March.

So they support military action, but they dont officially authorize the military action...

"I support President Obama's decision to commit U.S. forces to the mission in Libya, and I hope this resolution will elicit a broad statement of bipartisan support among my Senate colleagues for our use of force in Libya," said John McCain, one of a group of sponsors that included Republicans and Democrats.

Obama said last week he would support a resolution that would confirm Congress supports the U.S. mission in Libya, after some lawmakers warned the exercise was about to become illegal because it had gone on for more than 60 days without congressional authorization.

Uh oh, after 60 days, this is technically illegal....I wonder what the White House said in repsonse to that?

The president did not ask Congress to authorize the action, which critics say is demanded by the 1973 War Powers Act.

The White House has indicated it did not view the level of U.S. military involvement in Libya as reaching the threshold that would trigger the War Powers Act.

Oh okay, I guess it dosent matter anymore. Apparently, the amount of force we are using....isnt enough to trigger the War Powers Act.

Clinton: More NATO nations must join Libya mission

Lets just tell all the other countries to fight....

Libya: Nato targets Tripoli with heaviest strikes yet

Edit - Heres a video about this that came out a few days ago.

edit on 23-5-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
heres a thought

GET THE HELL OUT OF LIBYA

then resolutions and more nato forces arent needed.

i have big problems with this current adminstration HELPING radical islamic extremists.

america has made many mistakes in our history and it seems that we havent learned a damn thing from them

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Isn't it weird how we used to have so many checks and balances when it came to something as major as war?

Nowadays it seems like the whole issue of war/peace is clouded in some sort of shade of gray.

So, they won't authorize war, but they will support the President on this military matter?

Lame! Lame and not doing your jobs Mr./Ms. Congressperson.

If you truly agree, make it a war. If you don't agree, or do not think it merits a formal declaration, then just what the h*ll are we doing there?

I say let's get out. Sooner the better.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

Lame! Lame and not doing your jobs Mr./Ms. Congressperson.

Fortunantly, theres still a few people in congress that actually challenge the administration on Libya. Heres a few articles that are about the same Libya situation.

news.yahoo.com...

The Senate last month blocked a vote on a proposal by Rand Paul, a first-term Republican senator and a favorite of the conservative Tea Party movement, to reaffirm the constitutional authority of Congress to declare war.

Paul's amendment quoted then-Senator Obama's words from 2007, when he told the Boston Globe "the president does not have power under the constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the (U.S.) nation."

news.yahoo.com...

Separately, the top Republican on the Foreign Relations Committee, Richard Lugar of Indiana, sent a letter to Obama complaining about the "administration's failure to recognize the role of the Congress in matters relating to U.S. involvement in Libya's civil war."

Rep. Dennis Kucinich, D-Ohio, is pushing for a vote to pull U.S. forces out of the Libya operation.

edit on 24-5-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I appreciate your optimism.

However, it just seems these voices of reason are repeatedly drowned out by chants of "War...War...War"! These chants come from our politicians, our generals, our media, and yes, even our neighbors.

Naturally, there are exceptions to this mantra...God bless them!

Let us hope the more reasoned thinkers prevail. Sadly, I'm not counting on it.

edit on 24-5-2011 by Hessling because: ETA

new topics

top topics

join