It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: “Israel must be able to defend itself – by itself – against any threat”

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Have we just thrown Israel under the bus? I know there's been alot of talk recently about the 1967 border issue. And I know that there are many folks here that will gleefully let Israel sink or swim on its own.
But left on its own, Israel won't have the US support for negotiations.
I see more violence rather than less with statements like this.

Your thoughts and views are always welcome.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
This will not end well at all, this is such a blatent set up for something bigger.
I'm thinking maybe Israel-Iran conflict?
If not then Israel will surely be under attack from all front's with out US Military backing.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I warned my Israeli friends that I believed something like this would happen when I visited them in 2008. They were sure that good looking black and kind man would be wonderful for Israel.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Zakka

That's what I see. Without US support, Israel is left wide open for any number of hostile enemies. And Israel will not hesitate to use it's nuclear arsenal if threatened.
This is a prelude to nastier things, in my humble opinion.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Under the bus? No. More like we just slapped down a whiny little brat who kept bugging everyone and then ran back to his big brother for protection when someone tried to get the brat to behave. We need to help Israel, yes, but we also need to make sure they play fair and by the rules, and when they do something wrong, we need to tell them so. To do otherwise is not being a true friend. If your best friend was about to make a big mistake, you'd tell him or her, right? Same thing applies to Israel. We need to understand that telling them they made a mistake is not always being anti-Semitic; in some cases, it's just being truthful.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Obama has been building bridges of "peace" to the muslim community since he took office.

At the expense of Israels' security.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by 3warped3

So do you think, despite Obamas' own words, that we would defend Israel if it came under attack?

+14 more 
posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Tornados are wiping out towns left and right, the economy is in the #ter. People are on foodstamps. I'm supposed to worry about funding and protecting a group of people thousands of miles away cause they want to reclaim land that was supposedly theirs 2000 years ago??? No thanks!
edit on 23-5-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
All I have to say is let it be...If Israel thinks they can hold their own weight then let it be. We will see...Apparently Netanyahu is an ex Special Forces commander so lets see what he can do for his country without our help, all talk and no walk...You don't want to comply with the 1967 boarders idea then be prepared to start building graveyards instead of housing...I'm tired of hearing about this, and if no one can get along then so be it.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Doublespeak.
israel has been defending itself, by itself.
Of course they do it with US intelligence, US cash....billions, US weapons, US F-15's, US Apache gunships.
It seems still the same crap it's them and US.
I don't know what BarryO is up to, but it does not bode well for anyone except those who lend money to buy munitions or those who make them.
I predict a large global depopulation on the horizon.

I wish we would allow them to defend themselves, without US.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Strange that, because I said the complete opposite to family and friends over there right before the Presidential elections and suggested our American relatives don't vote for him! Only one did!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
Tornados are wiping out towns left and right, the economy is in the #ter. People are on foodstamps. I'm supposed to worry about funding and protecting a group of people thousands of miles away cause they want to reclaim land that was supposedly theirs 2000 years ago??? No thanks!
edit on 23-5-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

Thanks for replying. Do you see then, the recent disasters that struck the US as the reason?

No other ulterior motives?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I think it would probably depend on the particular circumstances. An unprovoked attack on Israel would probably result in us jumping in to help protect them (of course, preferably with help from other countries too). But if by some stupidity Israel attacked or invaded someone and was attacked in defense, I would hope that we would not simply jump in as a knee-jerk response. But I am of course not certain that the current atmosphere in Washington would allow us to sit back.
Another point, of course, would be whether a pre-emptive strike is considered unprovoked. But from recent US actions, it would seem it depends very much on who is being pre-emptive...

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I'm quite confident Israel can take care of itself; they are probably the most resourceful people on earth and mark my words if American support stopped tomorrow, they've got a whole lot of other resources readily available at their command 24/7 in places you would'nt think of.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I'm liking this. Hell yeah under the bus. However i would advise Obama not to take any rides through Dallas in a convertible.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Hmmm defending themselves you mean by manpower, but not technology... Israel's Airforce has Lockeheed Martin F-16's...I want them to defend themselves with their own technology, not ours...Waste of tax payer dollars

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I'm just throwing this out here, but could this be an overture to Obama trying to make peace between Pakistan and the muslim community at large?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

Excuse me......can you be more specific as to what technology you have in mind just so I can remind you of what technology Israel sold the US Military.........

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Funk bunyip

or perhaps Silverstein and Emanuel would like to take him out for lunch at the nearest sushi bar close to a Russian embassy?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join