It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raising gender-neutral or gender-specific kids.....Does it matter?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by amazed
What is between our legs do not make us what we are, we do that. For those who complain about parents wanting to raise their children without forcing specific gender roles on their children, forcing a specific role is brainwashing, and you seem happy with that form of brainwashing. So I can only assume, you are pretty much ok with brainwashing as long as it follows your own beliefs, which by the way, also comes from brainwashing.

Raising a child to be gender-neutral is also brainwashing which is based upon the parents' beliefs. There is absolutely nothing self-evident about that upbringing being beneficial to the child.

Using your logic, everybody should raise their children to be amoral nihilists. Any parental input on morality and behaviour is brainwashing. Let the child decide how he or she wants to behave in society.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SG-17

That's progressive

What do I think about the OP's post? Hmm. Hmm. I've always considered myself a weak male. I grew up liking boy things. I still like male things. If you consider engineering and science and fantasy topics to be male things, that's! But there's a part of me that's too soft to be considered all man. I've always known it was there. If I just say it's the liberal part of me, I think that makes more sense than saying it's the feminine part of me. It's hard for me to say since I'm not a female. I just don't think I'm a strong male on the outside or inside.

So what do I think... Hmm. I think that the parents are exerting their own will on their child, somewhat. I mean, instead of pushing their boy to buy boy clothes, they're saying "Hey, if you want to buy something from the girl section then go right ahead!" That's weird. Maybe not for children, but when they grow up to be adolescents... Anyway, I think most boys will dress in boy clothes and most girls will dress in girl clothes. So if you want to beat the odds then dressing your children as society encourages is just playing it safe. I mean, by giving your children a choice you might only be giving them the illusion of choice.

But I understand that people who generally do have gender issues will feel left out if society pushes down them roads they don't wnat to go down. I guess wha'ts important is that as a parent you have to let your child know that you value their opinion. Just make sure you teach them about responsibility! "Are you sure you wnat to be a boy, Sally?"

I'd prefer to go the society route and when they're older... let them decide. But I'd want them to understand that these kinds of choices are far ranging and not trivial things. Does that mean I'm a puritan? I don't think so. I think when we're young we get all sorts of ideas. When people and governments and coprorations aren't regulated somewhat, they can go really crazy with "ideas".

I think that this idea of pansexualism is a good thing. We need a more diverse understanding of sexuality so we're not so afraid. This way when a person tells us that they're not "normal", we're not so knee jerk with our response. So it's good that all of these things get out there and we're not sheltered from it. But this is also just an "idea". Everyone has a say in this.

Maybe more people need to be aware and have actual transgender friends?
edit on 9-1-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join