It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kansas Rep. Pete DeGraaf: Being impregnated during a rape is just like getting a flat tire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
blogs.pitch.com...

Absolutley disgusting. I don't understand, nor do I want to, how people can be so callous. Whether you're pro choice or pro life trivialising rape is terrible.

On a good note at the end of the article is this POS office number incase any of my American brothers and sisters want to give him there opinion.
edit on 23-5-2011 by ScousePhil because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Someone should rape him with a tire iron and see if he still feels the same way.

edit on 23-5-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Frankly I'm more disgusted by the blatant trampling of free market principals. Once more the government is trying to tell you what you can or can't do with your own body.

Last Friday, Kansas legislators approved a ban on insurance companies offering abortion coverage as part of their general health plans.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Reply to post by ScousePhil

It is offensive sure.

But he didn't claim that rape was as trivial as a flat tire.

He used the fla tire to illustrate the buying of "rape insurance" as planning ahead for the unexpected.

It's offensive and kind of crazy but he didn't do what the headline makes it sound he did.

The guys a bastard and has no business regulating the coverage provided by a private company to a private customer but the headline is just plain wrong. The story is horrible enough to get by without the ridiculous headline.

I know it's not your headline. It's from the blog.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Oh Kansas, how much more backwards can you go. I can say this, because I live in Kansas, and have for 11 years. I hate it. Do to circumstance I have to stay here. There are many things wrong in the eyes of the legal system out here. This is just another reminder of how ignorant Kansas still is. Tis a shame.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Someone needs to investigate this guy.

People that make comments like this are typically justifying something they do.

My guess is he is a chester.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Yeah I know, the blogger could've chosen a better suited title.

Still he is saying that women should be expected to pay for an abortion even when they have been violated in the worst possible way. What kind of world would it be when companies can profit from women who fear that one day they could be raped.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Well the only good thing about this is just like a flat tire come election time he too can be changed. He really chose a bad analogy for sure, and nobody should be treated as described in the headline, but like it has already been pointed out it was taken out of context. I am not condoning what was said just pointing out the sensationalist push towards making the connection.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
WTF. How could anyone say something so insensitive and so disgusting, it just goes to show how far from realility and the real world most politians live.
And the scarier part is, this man was voted into representing Kansas.
With leaders like this,you dont need enemies, you will destroy yourself before anyone else can.

I wonder if one of Pete's realitives was raped and fell pregnant would he feel the same then. I strongly doubt it.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ScousePhil

He never mentioned rape. That was someone else's illogical comment as if women were raped in Kansas as if it were some sort of American version of Darfur. He was speaking of women getting gap insurance to specifically cover abortion procedures and unless someone can specify where he said women only get pregnant from rape I'm going to say "Lie". What the blogger is insinuating is that dental insurance is only for when you get your teeth broken during a rape, or that eyeglasses insurance is for when your sight is damaged during a rape. The title is asinine and misleading.

Read the bill yourself here.

I don't think they should tell the insurance companies what they can and can't cover, but that doesn't justify the outright lie in this thread title. "The Republicans hope you get raped!"

edit on 23-5-2011 by dbates because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Last Friday, Kansas legislators approved a ban on insurance companies offering abortion coverage as part of their general health plans. The one exception: when a woman's life is at risk.

DeGraaf, who is in his first term and who is an associate pastor, also called for banning coverage for abortions of rape pregnancies. (Women could get around this if they purchased separate, "abortion-only policies.")

Wait.. aren't republicans supposed to be for free markets and less regulations? Or does that only apply to people that they agree with or who line their pockets?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
This is waay out of context.

He didn't equate rape pregnancies with a flat tire. He was trying to say, (and very callously, insensitive I might say), that he feels the insurance coverage should be prepared for. He says, "I always carry a spare tire, and I have life insurance." etc.

Is he saying that rape pregnancies are a flat tire? No he is not.

Still, grossly insensitive and ridiculous nonetheless. He's a pro-market capitalist, that is all. He wants people to buy their own insurance, and that is the end of his argument, insofar as to suggest victims of rape should have their own insurance coverage for the damages, basically.
edit on 23-5-2011 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I don't really know what he said- why would you talk about rape and then spare tires? Where's his mind?
I tried to ask Toto, but he's not sure we're even in America anymore when people talk like this.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Reply to post by SyphonX

If he were a free market type he wouldn't be using government to regulate the product of a private business.

Which is exactly what he's doing.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Well I wasn't defending the man, nor do I know much about him. Only trying to get across what he was trying to say, and what the "journalist" was alluding to.

I'm just saying, in this particular instance, I believe the allegations were a little false. He is still a bumbling idiot, however.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I have plenty of words and thoughts about this and this guy.

But If I expressed my opinion of this guy I would break the rules of ATS .

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
A lot of you need to read up on what he really said and besides its ok for them to shove Obamacare down my throat and make me pay for services that I do not want or need, but yet hes saying to be prepared and people throw a fit over that ?

edit on 25-5-2011 by Oklastatefan because: (no reason given)

top topics

join