It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Is it fair to bring another child into the World?

page: 2
5
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes
 


I think you're right. Things in the world have gotten worse in my lifetime and it doesn't seem as though they will ever get better. It's just that I see my 3 year old great nephew and all the love and joy he has brought to this family. I must hold onto the hope that perhaps somehow there is a chance for him.

Like I said, my husband and I had chosen not to have children ourselves and it would have been a very difficult life for them had we chosen to bring them into the world. I didn't like the way things were going in the world back then and things have only gotten worse since then.




posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
Dude, I''m a 14 year old kid and every day I fear my time in this world being cut short. It has became a phobia or obsession for me. I'm terrified of the world literally ending, maybe adoption is for you. Never count an opinion out. Peace.


I appreciate your thoughts from who seems like a well rounded and intelligent young person.

Thanx!



posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes
 


Logic was present even though you didn't see it, if you are willing to be a teacher of man, teach the kid to fish as they say he will survive. Teaching is one of the biggest tools a parent can have, the future is in our hands not some strange being above. If that is what you wanted to hear, how the child comes into this world is the only thing one has control of. What happens out inside the world, is all up to several factor, similar to any situation, education, preparedness, and action. These three things can be controlled by a parent, hence why I stated that. With a good education, and teaching the kid how to prepare and act in situations that arise will give a strong foundation to anything that arises.



posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golithion
reply to post by pityocamptes
 


Logic was present even though you didn't see it, if you are willing to be a teacher of man, teach the kid to fish as they say he will survive. Teaching is one of the biggest tools a parent can have, the future is in our hands not some strange being above. If that is what you wanted to hear, how the child comes into this world is the only thing one has control of. What happens out inside the world, is all up to several factor, similar to any situation, education, preparedness, and action. These three things can be controlled by a parent, hence why I stated that. With a good education, and teaching the kid how to prepare and act in situations that arise will give a strong foundation to anything that arises.



Very true... but unfortunately tangibles are required to live in this realm of reality. Education, love, etc. may not be enough if the physical aspects of life cannot be found or managed. Children are enjoyable, make no mistake, and they can be a gift or a curse depending which road they take, however, being the realist I am, I do not believe the future bodes too well...



posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golithion
reply to post by pityocamptes
 


Logic was present even though you didn't see it, if you are willing to be a teacher of man, teach the kid to fish as they say he will survive. Teaching is one of the biggest tools a parent can have, the future is in our hands not some strange being above. If that is what you wanted to hear, how the child comes into this world is the only thing one has control of. What happens out inside the world, is all up to several factor, similar to any situation, education, preparedness, and action. These three things can be controlled by a parent, hence why I stated that. With a good education, and teaching the kid how to prepare and act in situations that arise will give a strong foundation to anything that arises.


Sage advice and thank you!

Yes, the World be damned and Yes we are capable and loving people who would be a loving set of parents to a child.

The only question we have been pondering is that if it is fair to the child? For us, all good. For them?



posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Wow, good topic, emotionally enthrawled though it may be.

I too have been with my wife around seven years. Neither of us have children though I have been married once before. We manage financially, but have both chosen not to bring children into the world. I am torn on the issue as I'm sure some would be. I see my younger brother who has 4 kids, he tells me that with them came the meaning in living. It seems I always hear that argument. I personally don't want children though I know I would be a good dad. I just am not satisfied with the way things are. I've had a pretty good life, my parents are great people and we are still close, but a big part of me resents being born. Even being given a chance to live seems like it has come at the cost of loss and disgust with the way things have become. So knowing how good I've had it, and still feeling the way that I do leads me to my personal conclusion that children are a bad idea in the present state of play. I don't want to create another me, something helpless, something sad, and misplaced in the grand scheme of things. Just another cog in the capitalist machine.

Not sure if my observation is helpful or not, but just know that there are those of us out here who understand exactly what you are going through.

I do hold to the threads of hope that someday I would be comfortable bringing a life into the world that I know will be happy here.

Good luck in your choices.



posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by Golithion
reply to post by pityocamptes
 


Logic was present even though you didn't see it, if you are willing to be a teacher of man, teach the kid to fish as they say he will survive. Teaching is one of the biggest tools a parent can have, the future is in our hands not some strange being above. If that is what you wanted to hear, how the child comes into this world is the only thing one has control of. What happens out inside the world, is all up to several factor, similar to any situation, education, preparedness, and action. These three things can be controlled by a parent, hence why I stated that. With a good education, and teaching the kid how to prepare and act in situations that arise will give a strong foundation to anything that arises.


Sage advice and thank you!

Yes, the World be damned and Yes we are capable and loving people who would be a loving set of parents to a child.

The only question we have been pondering is that if it is fair to the child? For us, all good. For them?





As long as you are alive, the perspective of "fair" is a moot point as they really have no means to compare it to the life you lived (when times may have been better and more prosperous). Now if you and your wife pass for any reason, while the child is still young, then they do have a means of juxtaposing "fair" with what they knew while being raised by you, and possibly an orphanage, and the deminishing quality of life. "Fair" would only take place within their scope of life and the changes during their life span itself. You cannot compare your life to theirs (with the changing times and economic conditions) and quantify it as fair or not fair...



posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bobaganoosh
Wow, good topic, emotionally enthrawled though it may be.

I too have been with my wife around seven years. Neither of us have children though I have been married once before. We manage financially, but have both chosen not to bring children into the world. I am torn on the issue as I'm sure some would be. I see my younger brother who has 4 kids, he tells me that with them came the meaning in living. It seems I always hear that argument. I personally don't want children though I know I would be a good dad. I just am not satisfied with the way things are. I've had a pretty good life, my parents are great people and we are still close, but a big part of me resents being born. Even being given a chance to live seems like it has come at the cost of loss and disgust with the way things have become. So knowing how good I've had it, and still feeling the way that I do leads me to my personal conclusion that children are a bad idea in the present state of play. I don't want to create another me, something helpless, something sad, and misplaced in the grand scheme of things. Just another cog in the capitalist machine.

Not sure if my observation is helpful or not, but just know that there are those of us out here who understand exactly what you are going through.

I do hold to the threads of hope that someday I would be comfortable bringing a life into the world that I know will be happy here.

Good luck in your choices.


Seeing that we are not the only couples feeling this way, it is definitely an eye opener that others are feeling the same doubts as well

Sad to realize it but there it is.

Thanx



posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 

On the other hand, the way things are going today, do you have the right NOT to bring something pure and good into the world?
All children are perfect, they master the language in two years on average, smile all the time and make those around them happy. The diaper thing is a real drag and they break all your expensive stuff but other than that they enrich the lives of every adult they come in contact with.
Try not to make this a decision about assets and liabilities or turn it into a Ben Franklin pros and cons list, that is certainly the intelligent and logical thing to do but we aren't dealing with that type of decision here. Joan of Arc was a peasant and Paris Hilton is a... well you get the picture.



posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing
reply to post by jude11
 

On the other hand, the way things are going today, do you have the right NOT to bring something pure and good into the world?
All children are perfect, they master the language in two years on average, smile all the time and make those around them happy. The diaper thing is a real drag and they break all your expensive stuff but other than that they enrich the lives of every adult they come in contact with.
Try not to make this a decision about assets and liabilities or turn it into a Ben Franklin pros and cons list, that is certainly the intelligent and logical thing to do but we aren't dealing with that type of decision here. Joan of Arc was a peasant and Paris Hilton is a... well you get the picture.


Well said.

But our dilemma is not the joy they will bring us and others. We are thinking about THEIR future after they have given us that joy.

Sooner or later they grow up and have to live in the same World we do.

That's our worry.

Thanx



posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
Dude, I''m a 14 year old kid and every day I fear my time in this world being cut short. It has became a phobia or obsession for me. I'm terrified of the world literally ending, maybe adoption is for you. Never count an opinion out. Peace.

What!!!!!
There are many parts to the rose, there are petals and there are thorns, it is only when you enjoy both equally that you appreciate it's beauty. The earth is a violent place but it is also very beautiful, a thunderstorm is far more exciting than a waterfall and lightning just makes it more spectacular.
I highly recommend picking up some decent books on philosophy, try Meditations by Marcus Aurelius or Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu and stay away from Neitzsche for now. Perhaps your young eyes have seen too many negative images but in time they will help build character.
I've had a gun held two inches from my nose as the holder breathed whiskey in my face and I've had bubbles blown into my face by my grandson. I liked the last one better but both helped shape me and I would not erase either.



posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I think you should definitely bring more children into your lives. You and your wife will give to them a loving stable home and a wonderful foundation for life.

The child you have and/or adopt just may be that one person in the world that was destined to participate in some important life changing event......



posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 


we just had a son I told my wife it is horrible timing and I would never want my kids to grow up in this miserable world... but what are you gunna do timing in the end means nothing you need to ask YOURSELF not your wife...

am i ready to raise a child?

when you have a kid your life as you know it IS over your new life is your child.


and good luck brother.

edit on 5/23/2011 by -W1LL because: GL

edit on 5/23/2011 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
What a difficult question this is...

IMO, of course, I am looking at a world where radiation from Japan is poisoning us and out food chain, the food chain is poisoned from corexit, mass animal die-offs, increasing seismic activity, solar activity expected to get severe, increased natural disasters that is interfering the food production in an already overpopulated world.

I know if I had no children I would desperately want them, but as I am older and have children I would not bring more into the world. I worry about the children I have (4 of them, ages 11,13,15,17) and worry about them having to fend for themselves if SHTF and something happens to us parents and we are no longer here for them.

While I believe the "age of enlightment" is coming, not complete anihilation, I believe it is going to be a really rough ride getting there.

So, IMO, I would not bring more children into this world intentionally. But, again, just my opinion.



posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 


Without children, there is no future.

Mine have brought me my greatest joys and my greatest sorrow.
But every minute was worth it.



posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 


If all parties agree......then go forth and multiply !!!

You ask, is it fair to bring another child in to the world? I say it is fair to stop the world from receiving LIFE of a beautiful child born out of love?



posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Very hard topic which i also struggled with until.....I ended up having one gorgeous child 2 years ago and couldent imagine not having her in my life. In saying that she will be our one and only. We have also thought of adoption though your right, the costs are ridiculous. Its very personal and just know your not the only one with this question. The answer will come to you when its supposed to and you will trust it 100%.



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
In my opinion, i think it would be fine to bring a child into the world. There are a multitude of what if scenarios out there about the future of the world and what not. What if years down the road the world is still no here and no cataclysms have taken place, you and your wife may regret not having that child. What if the child you bring into this world grows up and does something wonderful that benefits millions of people. My wife and I have a four year old little girl and there is absolutely no greater feeling than watching that child that you made with the love of your life grow and learn as they get older. The joy that comes with knowing you are raising the child to be thoughtful and caring of others and the world around them, in hopes that your teachings and rasing help the child be a great and contributing member of society. Good luck in what ever you and your wife decide.



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by jude11
 


How many children have each of you sired? I'm assuming one of you have 2 and the other 1.

Although the ultimate decision lays with you both, get some feedback and ask the other children how they would feel about it......

yup, ask your own children. Their oppinions are important .



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
to bring a child into the world or not?....now that is a difficult question. The world is filled with unwanted children being raised by parents who have absolutely no business even raising a puppy. My opinion is---there are some people who were born to parent a child and these are the people who should have children. You and your wife sound like you are in this catagory. To me, there is no greater calling than parenthood.

I agree with the poster who said "Children are our future".
I know it's hard not to worry about the state of the world but it will always be in chaos. As long as two people exist on this earth and one has a stick...there will be chaos.

Raise your children up to be leaders, teach them to live with and without technology. Teach them to love and care about their fellow human beings and most important--teach them to become great parents too.

Good Luck and God Bless,
~~Linda




top topics



 
5
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join