It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 just became a real event for me

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
I have to admit...

I don't trust a preacher trying to make money.

But, as far as I can tell.

The Mayans were not trying to sell a book.

They weren't predicting the end of the world either. The 2012 calendar end was just the end of an Age. But since this information has been posted and reposted and spread in every way possible, you won't listen to it this time either.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by skem64

The Mayans did not understand the issue of precession of the equinoxes. They did notice that their astronomical tables were off after decades. There was a persistent mistake in the positions of the stars, but they did not figure out the cause. The Mayans did not figure out that there was a 26,000 year cycle.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Butterbone

If it's the beginning of an "Age".

It also must be an end to an "Age".

Where did I say the "World would end"?

Besides, that was clearly indicated by several smart people on page 1.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I think your point shows a lot in this thread. You can't even make a single post without it being misconstrued by some. If a million theories are thrown at you and you misinterpret what's going on, you're likely to react in the wrong manner. I think a lot of people have trouble reacting to the thought of the end of the world. However some people utilize the information and make good from it. It all depends on how you interpret it and how you deal with the info. I think the collective consciousness theory does play a role in this. Perhaps it's all a ploy to minimize population. People are easier to control when they're lives have been devastated and they have no family left. That's just more conspiracy theory though. One thing to help validate your concern with global consciousness affecting the planet may be this USGS Earthquake List

I did a search back when Japan was hit, these are results of quakes 250km from near the quake epicenter. I was just looking at patterns and what not. Each year has about 20-30 quakes mag 4+, that seems to be the norm. But then if you notice the year where there was world-wide concern for a world's end, 2000, there are a ton! Way more than any other year. Coincidence? Perhaps. Strange? Very!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Actually, if anything is going to happen, it will be between April and November of 2012.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by superman2012

Destroyed is destroyed. It doesn't say, "moved into a new age of enlightenment".

What does destroyed mean? Does it mean erasing a slate or a complete and utter destruction? In many of the myths the events are more of a wiping of the slate in which only some of what has been done is destroyed.

destroyedpast participle, past tense of de·stroy (Verb)
1. Put an end to the existence of (something) by damaging or attacking it.
2. Completely ruin or spoil (something).

Let me know if you need me to look up other definitions for you!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

Source? Everything is open to interpretation. Even how modern academics read the mayan calendar. This is an excerpt about the mayan calendar.

Source? the calendar itself, it's a cyclic calender, 2012 (though not actually 2012 for us, our count is way off) is the end of once cycle and the beginning of a new one.

All interpretations that say otherwise are always connected to a BOOK that is for SALE. The Mayans predicted nothing, and if you'd take 3 minutes of your life to go read what actual Mayan scholars are saying, you'd see why most of us are so over this 2012 crap it's sickening to even see threads pop up.

Yes, source. This was the original text by a different member before you took it out of context.

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni Just so ppl get one thing straight. The mayan prophecies were never about the end of the world. It is suppose to happen something yes, a form of enlightenment, a new era or age, the discovery of something important and some even relate it to aliens or atlantis taking into account all the myths and mysteries surrounding that particular civilization... or could be something as simple as a change in cycle of the earth like today's "new year". But never, ever was about the end of the world.

...and if you happened to actually READ what I said, here it is again:

A cyclical interpretation is also noted in Maya creation accounts, in which the present world and the humans in it were preceded by other worlds (one to five others, depending on the tradition) which were fashioned in various forms by the gods, but subsequently destroyed.

...so if YOU would take the time to read a post instead of brandishing parts of it as an ill-conceived weapon, you might actually not look stupid(we said the same thing). If 2012 isn't the date, what is the date? How do you know? Are you an expert on Mayan culture? I go by what I read and then make my decisions. Like I said, I am still on the fence.
edit on 24-5-2011 by superman2012 because: clarification

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

The date is based on the long count calendar. The calendar is set to wrap on that date. It catches people's eyes just as the odometer on a car turning many digits at once. The end of the long count can be converted to our Gregorian system by using what is known as a correlation. Dates are matched up using various techniques. The correlation is given a name, the GMT correlation. Those are the initials of 3 Mayan scholars. Not everyone agrees and so there are several of these correlations. The matter of leap years is not important since the correlation addresses the issue of the differences of the calendars.

Leap year was just one example but what you say here doesn't convince me that our 12/21/12 "correlated calculation" is accurate so I feel no need to try to convince you further.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Can you give me a source for you saying they knew nothing about "Precesion" I always thought they were #-hot when it came to astronomy (but then ' could never get my head around why "experts" with this wisdom would sacrafice humans). Something is not quite right.

The reason why I ask for a source is because I have my own ideas why 2012 was important to the Mayans. Re: my post on page two (4 posts down)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
Just so ppl get one thing straight.

The mayan prophecies were never about the end of the world. It is suppose to happen something yes, a form of enlightenment, a new era or age, the discovery of something important and some even relate it to aliens or atlantis taking into account all the myths and mysteries surrounding that particular civilization... or could be something as simple as a change in cycle of the earth like today's "new year".

But never, ever was about the end of the world.

I think its all to do with the sun/space etc.
Will it kill us? Well it a LOT of cultures have vanished without a trace.
So who knows eh.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Thanks for the post that shows your original claim to be wrong. Next time please use the dictionary to prevent posting an error.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Leap year was just one example but what you say here doesn't convince me that our 12/21/12 "correlated calculation" is accurate so I feel no need to try to convince you further.

Leap years have no effect on the correlation functions.

What issues do concern you? An issue that have been brought up by researchers is the difficulty in matching up the Venus tables with the GMT correlation.
edit on 25-5-2011 by stereologist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by skem64

Can you give me a source for you saying they knew nothing about "Precesion" I always thought they were #-hot when it came to astronomy (but then ' could never get my head around why "experts" with this wisdom would sacrafice humans). Something is not quite right.

I'll look for the source today. It was from an archaeological paper on the Mayan interpretation of the Milky Way.

There are a lot of baloney claims about the Mayan astronomical capabilities. The Mayans did not know about galaxies. They saw the Milky Way as a road in the sky. They certainly did not know about the center of the galaxy or the galactic plane. They did not have any devices for observations. They were able to predict eclipses.

Here is one discussion about the astronomical capabilities of the Mayans
Astronomy Answers 2012

Some people claim that the Maya (or their predecessors - for convenience, I refer to them all as Maya) knew about the precession of the equinoxes and tried to follow the precession using their Long Count, and that the period of the precession of the equinoxes was exactly 65 baktuns long according to the Maya. However, I have seen no indications that the Maya knew the precession, except for this rough correspondence between the period of the precession and 65 baktuns, and that correspondence could very well be a coincidence. (See at the bottom of this page for a discussion of coincidence.)

To detect precession, one needs to measure the position of the Sun between the stars in the sky very accurately and then compare those positions that were measured a century or more apart, because precession is very slow. 100 years of precession causes the phenomena of a particular star at a particular time of day to occur about one day sooner (compared to the solstices and equinoxes), or on the same day about 5 minutes earlier. However, I've not heard of any Maya texts that record measurements of the positions of one or more stars with sufficient accuracy to be able to make these kinds of comparisons.

Moreover, the period of the precession when the Long Count was invented was not equal to 65 baktuns = 25,626 Julian years, and the period of the precession is not constant anyway. In the year −500 the period of the precession was about 25,998 years and in the meantime it has declined to about 25,744 years. Only around the year 3176 will the period of the precession be equal to 65 baktuns.

As far as Hancock goes, beware is my suggestion. The ancients did not know about galaxies or that the Milky Way was an organized group of stars. They did not know that dark rift is a set of unconnected dust clouds between us and the rest of the galaxy. All of those ideas are modern.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by shauny

Well it a LOT of cultures have vanished without a trace.

Out of curiosity how would we know if there was no trace?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

even if calculations are correct its only the long count ending - I'm mostly in agreement with all your posts

but I still failed to find anyone who gave that exact day being the "end" in general - and was able to find people who disagreed with the date as the "end" - even Carbon Dating is approximate in a lot of cases

seriously though with all the Tornadoes going on and the finally admitting that Fukushima is literally f*d up along side at least one volcano blowing that I know of and Texas being on fire and the Mississippi river flooding out 19 different counties Obama getting all up in Isreal's face and multiple countries in an uprising..... I'm not convinced we'll make it to december of this year, much less next year.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

I am amazed at all of the tornadoes too. There was a tornado alert for our area last night. Tornadoes have hit and killed people close to where I live. I need to find out if there is a suggested reason for the numbers of tornadoes. Is it warming in the Gulf or a change in the jet stream or something else?

Here is an interesting site for volcanoes. As you can see volcanoes are going off all of the time. Most are not newsworthy. If you click on find volcano by eruption date you learn that there are 38 volcanoes erupting in 2011.
Smithsonian Institution Global Volcanism

You mentioned the floods in the US. Don't forget about the horrible floods earlier in Australia and other parts of the world. Floods are increasing over time. The reason is man. Construction, deforestation, and other activities have increased floods both in severity and frequency.

The uprisings in countries is newsworthy because it takes our eyes off of other places that are still in trouble such as Sudan, and Ivory Coast. Now attention is being placed on Libya and Yemen. Years earlier it was the Balkans.

We, as in humanity, will make it next year and beyond. Unfortunately, there seems to be no end to the turmoil in the world either man-made or natural.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I followed the link. He makes a good point with the Mayans having a "Fixed" point when in reality, Procession is not constant but I find his tossing the dice stuff a bit weak. Still, this is the kind of stuff I like to read, it's a nice change to have a "de-bunker" speak without ridicule and instead, offer scientific fact as support.

As said earlier, I have my own ideas and I'm not sure the Mayans were that super clever...re: this human sacrafice stuff. I tend to think that Aliens taught these people civilisation, as they did the Incas and the Sumarians and Egyptians. And they guided the Mayans in their architecture and taught them astronomy. Old habits die hard and when the aliens left, corruption became ripe and the Mayans gradually slipped back into their old ways. It wouldn't be the only time an empire had fallen in such a way. From within.

I enjoyed Fingerprints Of The Gods, Handcock tells a good tale. I know once or twice he's "bent" the figures a bit to support his thoery, and it's a shame because on the otherhand, he's made a lot of people wonder/think and ask questions.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

On the news the other night it was said Tornado Alley has had twice as many twisters so far as to what they had in the whole of 2010. And twice as strong.

Stay safe stereo'

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
well first of all we don't even know the exact date of the prophecy, people say 2012, 2013 or even this year, second the Mayans never said "the end of the world", so i take what they said like nothing's gonna happen.
edit on 25-5-2011 by manticorex5 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
The Mayans, Egyptians, and Sumerians were clever people. They did amazing things with the technology at hand, but I do not see that any of these peoples were gifted by an advanced race such as aliens.

This can be seen in the materials and techniques they employed. Where are any pieces of advanced materials such as plastics, metals, or ceramics? Where are the materials such as nuts or bolts or snips of wire or clothing or even paints or paper or other materials that an advanced race might have supplied?

I think it's a disservice to these ancient peoples to think that they were not clever enough to do what they did without outside assistance.

Did the Mayans smelt metals?
Did the Mayans have a pottery wheel?
Did the Mayans use wheeled carts for hauling goods?
Did the Mayans domesticate large animals?

Regardless of the lack of some items they still were able to accomplish great tasks.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join