It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it "Pop" or "Soda"?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

It depends on the region in the US. Where I went to college in Ohio, I caught A LOT of flak for calling pepsi soda. I was told it was Pop. Down in Georgia, I was told it was Cola. In NY, it was Soda. So really, it depends where you live, and how nuts the person it your talking to is about it. Me, if someone called it Pop, I'd know they came from the midwest, but I wouldn't jump down their throat about like people jumped down mine back in college. So it depends on the region and the people your talking to. Hope this helps.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
"Soft drink" in Australia, as opposed to "Hard drink"; Beer, wine, Brandy etc. etc.

I think it is the same in N.Z., perhaphs a New Zealander can clarify this point.

My Father refered to all "Soft drinks" as "Lolly water", he was a great supporter of the "Carlton and United Brewery".

Regards,

Jarrah.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I am from Michigan and I grew up calling it pop. But I do say soda sometimes..

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I grew up in south Georgia in the 60's, we called it sodee water, coke and some of the older folks called it a dope(I guess refering to the original coke formula). Now I live in west Georgia and every body calls it a cold drink.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Hello found this to be ironic while reading. I'm originally from Ontario Canada where we call it POP but have recently moved to Belize Central America to find that they call it Soda. We have two little Mayan boys that are our neighbors who come over often to visit with us and we offer them a POP from time to time (very hot here) and it seems to be the drink of choice however one day when asked if they would like a POP they both looked at each other and begin to giggle. Why do you call it POP my husband was asked to which his reply was, when you open the lid it goes POP well both boys giggled even louder then the first time. Now they ask for POP hahaha

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Cola over here in Texas.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
growing up in Harrisburg PA, we called every kind of cola a "Coke". Sprite was Sprite. Orange was Orange, Root Beer was...well, you get the idea.

Coke, Pepsi, RC, Double-Cola. All = Coke
edit on 17-4-2012 by TXRabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Here in Glasgow (Scotland) we have another word, but I dont know if it gets much usage nowadays.

We called it ginger. e.g. "get me a bottle of ginger fae the shop" and it was only then that the actual "flavour" was discussed e.g. "you want a bottle of Irn Bru / Lemonade/ Ginger Beer ?" etc. Although one of the girls in the family that lived above us used pop which is more of an English colloquialism, but she wasnt English, she was Scottish too.

I think the term juice or the flavour is used mostly now. Weirdo weans using weirdo terminology!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join