It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it "Pop" or "Soda"?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AmrikazNightmar3

Michigan here as well ....

Pop
edit on 23-5-2011 by Evil3unnie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Always been soda or Carbonate on my end, but down in the south everything is a coke, "You want a coke with that?" I will always remember my dad when we first moved down here and that question was asked he said, "Can I get a Dr. Pepper instead?" Hilarious.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
We just called everything a coke....Dr. Pepper, Sprite, 7up, Pepsi.....it was all "Let's go get a coke". Northwest Texas.

I used to love to make fun of my cousins for saying "pop"

Now, after being in New England for almost 20 years, I just say "Soda"

Fun Post.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I grew up calling all soda "coke", til i realized it wasn't. Now I call it soda, but mostly I just say the brand of the soda. When I was a bartender, one older gentleman called soda- "sodee water" every time he ordered which always made me smile. That's the south for ya

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
In the UK we don't tend to call them Pop or Soda, we call it juice or Fizzy drink.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Thinking about it some more

You got a soda at the drugstore fountain

You got a Glass A&W Gallon Root Beer Jug and brought it back for cheap refills

This was fizzie drink

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8ca807c22d15.jpg[/atsimg]

This was pop

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2d99caae9191.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
In Canada, as a child, we called it pop. Now, as adults, we call it "mix"

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Do ya know why they call it pop?

It was the sound made when opening bottles from the early nineteen hundreds.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
i grew up and am living in ontario canada, everyone here calls it pop.
when i go to visit my friend in alaska everyone there calls it soda, and when im gaming alot and on ventrilo (voice chat program), and say be right back getting a pop people sometimes laugh at me and are like what is a pop?
they call it soda, americans, mostly from california

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
In New York it's called pop.

I ran across an interactive map of the US sorted by "pop", "soda" or "coke" that I thought was pretty cool so I'll share it with you guys.... enjoy!

The Great Pop vs. Soda Controversy

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
It has always been just "pop" with my family...

I've heard them all though, and it's a good question. Is this for general knowledge?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Soda!
Funny I was going to make a thread similar to this yesterday(?) for the same reason; "gas vs petrol" thread.

Soda for me, as I grew up in the deep south. While I don't live there now, I am still used to saying soda in the north. I also, say coke(ie, also used in the South...Coca Cola), which often gets people looking at me funny as if I'm talking of something other than a soft drink.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
When I lived in Ohio it was referred to as pop, now that I'm love in the South West I use the term soda. However, I remember a few of my older relatives refer to it as soda water.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Pop is what most people I've ever met in my area call it, my area being Oregon.

Some people really call it fizzy drink or sodee pop? I think I would LOL if someone said that. No offense intended, it just sounds funny to me

I have not ever heard or someone calling it "carbonate" but I REALLY like that! I think I'm going to start calling pop "carbonate" "Hey can I get a carbonate?" "WHAT?" LOL Just watch, it will be big here in the PNW within a few years. I urge my fellow PNWers to start this as well.

Carbonate for the future.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I grew up in Appalachia myself, and it is called "soda." I never heard it called "pop" until I moved to Indiana, Yankee country. Thankfully, I am not in the South again, above the big river, but south, nonetheless. I still call it soda.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I generally flit between (depending on who I am asking) cold drink.. soft drink.. or fizzy drink..
the only time I use the word soda is Soda Water or Creme Soda..

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mclarenmp4

I do not know what part of then UK you hale from but in my area it has always been pop

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Where I am in Derbyshire its pop or fizzy pop

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Poker

Pittsburgh also and its pop.

But now I am in Maryland and its soda here.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Hey there!...I grew up in the Pacific Northwest too....when I was growing up we called it soda-pop....so in my neighborhood we used both terms. I absolutely loved root beer floats...with Dad's root beer and a scoop of vanilla ice cream...what a treat!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join