It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it "Pop" or "Soda"?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
We've been discussing different terms between the US and UK on a rant thread. Please state whether you call Pop "Pop" or "Soda" and where you grew up.

Mine is obvious. It's "Pop" and I grew up in the Pacific Northwest.

what's yours?

I'll tally the answers and summarize.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
soda pop...
2nd

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I'm from Florida and we always called anything carbonated "coke" basically.

2nd

Deebo

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Down here in the south
We call it a "cold drink". Don't know why, we just do.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I grew up in Michigan... we call it pop.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I was born in the uk and was there till i was 11 yrs and we called fizzy drinks "pop". Live in ireland now and i still call it pop.
Peace.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Neither, I just call them fizzy drinks.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I call it "pop," I'm from illinois and most people call it pop here. I know people from wisconsin, they call it "soda."
I went to college in Missouri, everyone there calls it "soda."
It seems as if hicks call it "soda," and normal people call it "pop"

I'm just kidding.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Either soda or coke. South texas

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Called it Pop all my life, everyone from around here does.
Eastern Ohio 40min west of Pittsburgh

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

It's Soda-Pop...

Or in some cases...Sodee-Pop Pardner!

edit on 23-5-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

In Australia it is "Soft Drink" as distinct from alcoholic drinks or "Fizzy Drink". Soda is "soda Water" & Pop is top 40 music!
edit on 23-5-2011 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Yesterday I had been working putting together my generator so my hands were dirty with oil and grease, the grime of a mechanic. My wife had come out to the garage to see how I had been doing and I told her I was ready to come in. As we walked back to the garage door I asked her, "Would you get some of that orange cream?" I was also going to get her to open the door so I didn't smear it with dirt.

She said "Sure" and walked over to the fridge and grabbed a bottle of Orange Creme Soda (Thomas Kemper brand) and brought it to me. I was thinking of the orange-smelling gritty cream we keep under the sink in the kitchen that tackles tough dirt jobs like this. You rub it on and the grit attacks the grease, then you wipe it off before washing your hands with detergent.

So we're both staring at each other and I'm thinking WTF is she doing with the bottle of pop and she's thinking WTF is he staring at me like that for? And she says, "Do you want some detergent for your hands?" and I say, "No, I want some of that orange gritty cream stuff we keep under the sink." And it dawns on both of us about the same time what happened.

Oh, dear.

And "soda pop"? That's cheating!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
We call it a "soft drink" in Oz

Ive never thought of it before but soda or pop make more sense

Any aussies know why we call it soft drink?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Any aussies know why we call it soft drink?

"Soft" as in distinct from a "Hard Liquor" Alcoholic drink!
edit on 23-5-2011 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I grew up in SE KS/NE OK & it was always pop, moved east of the Mississippi & they call it soda. While living in MO I knew a guy who called it sodeepop & it irritated the crap out of me!
BTW, in MO they call it soda.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
From Chicago - it's called pop around here

I was in Texas not too long ago, late one night I was making a run to the Walmart, I stopped at a "gas" station and the door was locked, had to wake up the attendant to open up, as I walked in I said, "hold on lemme get a pop",

When I got back to the counter he said "now I havn't heard anyone call it a pop since .... I take it you're from...." I say "Chicago" he says "that explains it, Chicago... you can also say you're gonna go get a dog and people know you are talking about a hot dog right?" I say "yes, and if I may say so, not just because I am from there that we have the best damned hot dogs in the world haha NO KETCHUP!"

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

That's hilarious about the Orange Cream.

I call it soda but I'm also from the PacNW. Maybe it's an urban vs rural thing more than a regional thing?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Parents from South East Texas but I lived in several states (50's/60's/70's before moving back to South East Texas). I always heard them called sodee water/soda water, We usually had a case of bottles on front porch and they were considered occasional treats. Still don't drink many of them now. My Uncle always claimed ice tea was better from a large quart size can instead of a glass and that has stuck with me because I drink lots of ice tea and occasionally use a large can although I knitted koozies for my cans.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join