It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Predicting the End of the World Possible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Is predicting the end of the world possible? When predicting the end of the world one takes into consideration a certain date, sometimes even a time and a type of event. Does one realize that when picking a date it's already tomorrow or yesterday in other parts of the world. When picking a time does one take into consideration the times zones and that nine a clock in New York it's six a clock in California. Is the event that's predicted going to wipe out humanity or literly end the world there is a difference, an event that killed all living life on the planet would end the life on the surface but the Earth would still be here or is it that the Earth is obliterated to nothingness and ceases to exist as in the literal sence of the statement "End of the World". Considering these factors it would seem impossible to predict the end of the world or even the end of a species.

My question is why would so many try to do the impossible and predict the end and with the factors presented why would one choose to believe that the predictor can possibly be right?

edit on 23-5-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54
My question is why would so many try to do the impossible and predict the end and with the factors presented why would one choose to believe that the predictor can possibly be right?

Because of zealous interest in religion.

The end of the world can be extrapolated scientifically. It cannot be predicted through religion, however.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
sorry..its not possible

only god knows

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I am still trying to figure out why the word has to end???? I suppose for the religious folks out there, it's a great way to drum up business! HAHAHAHAH

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

I would say that in 1 billion years, humanity will not be here, ( I would say we will have been extinct a long time before that happens.) That is about the time that our Sun will start to expand and the Earth will not be a very hospital planet to live on. So hopefully ...many thousands of long years before that happens we have found a younger Sun that has an Earth like planet in the inhabitable zone around it. (uhh..hopefully, it is not already occupied.) This is assuming that we have conquered space travel.
But ...currently..predicting the end..No..but any number of things can cause our demise. You know them all. Super volcanoes, asteroids hitting the planet, super viruses that can't be controlled by medical science, man himself..with nuclear destruction. and you can probably name a few more.

edit on 23-5-2011 by ellieN because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

If you have a big enough bomb I would say that it is.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Is Predicting the End of the World Possible?

Yes, well kinda.

In 5 billion years (approx) the Sun will become a red giant and swallow the Earth up.

Wiki link, not leak.

But hey even then it might not be the end, maybe, if were still around we might have the "tech" to move the Earth to a further orbit.

ALS

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

It's a massive business with loads of people making alot of cash.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
End of the world is extremist theory. I say extremist because is it not extremist to think that we are standing near the end of our times in this long history and future? Peak oil, overpopulation, famine, disease, war, all these ideas have been around for ages (except maybe peak oil), in our human timescale, but are nothing but a blip on the timescale of the earth.

It ain't happening anytime soon, and if it does, oh fkn well. Nothing stays the same, even as history repeats itself.
edit on 23-5-2011 by dl2one because: (no reason given)

also, science can predict alot, as long as it isn't corrupted by the likes of Al Gore. The Himalayan glaciers were thought to disappear within the next 25 some years according to the IPCC, but then that projection was somehow quashed as ridiculous. So when science tells us the sun will be gone in 5 billion years... take it with a galactic grain of salt, because even if it were true, it's a long fkn time away. Likewise a number like that will change repeatedly in the future.
edit on 23-5-2011 by dl2one because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join