It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain to send Apaches into Libya

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Apache helicopters to be sent into Libya by Britain

Use of helicopters, which can attack small targets, represents significant escalation of conflict

Britain and France are to deploy attack helicopters against Libya in an attempt to break the military stalemate, particularly in the important coastal city of Misrata, security sources have told the Guardian.

In a significant escalation of the conflict, the Apaches – based on HMS Ocean – will join French helicopters in risky operations which reflect deepening frustration among British and French defence chiefs about their continuing inability to protect civilians.

The Guardian Article

edit on 23-5-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I didn't know that other nations besides the US used Apaches. Anyway, anything necessary to remove that despot Gaddafi is fine with me.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SG-17

Britain purchased about 20 Apache Helicopters a few years ago, it just took a while to get the pilots up to scratch if i remember correctly.

edit on 23-5-2011 by WeMoveUnseen because: spelling and pot noodle spillage

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
You don't really need Ground Troops when you can inflict more damage and casualties from the air.

This is why I questioned the no 'Boots on the Ground' approach. As if this justified the 'Humanitarian Mission' and made it ok.

You don't need to put one toe on the ground when an Apache is 100x scarier and deadlier than any soldier...any day.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Even prince harry can fly an apache, we've had pilots all along just costs a lot of money... like most things military, but yea they are very scary, i wouldnt wanna be on the receiving end of it.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeMoveUnseen
reply to post by SG-17

Britain purchased about 20 Apache Helicopters a few years ago, it just took a while to get the pilots up to scratch if i remember correctly.

edit on 23-5-2011 by WeMoveUnseen because: spelling and pot noodle spillage

I beleive we have a few more than that as they are made under licence in the UK by Westland.. I also beleive they are Navalised (folding blades) unlike the US Apaches.. but I also thought they where part of the Air Assault Brigade.. which is pretty telling IMHO
edit on 23/5/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

BRUSSELS – France and Britain will deploy attack helicopters in Libya as soon as possible, the French defense minister said Monday — a move that would allow their pilots more precision but also expose them to greater risk.

Nimble, low-flying helicopters have much more leeway to pick targets with precision than high-flying jets. But they also are much more vulnerable to ground fire. The alliance has had no military deaths since it first started enforcing a no-fly zone on March 31.

All they need is for Helicopters to get shot down, they just that one 'Reason' to launch a full attack with the backing of the US

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

TRIPOLI — British and French attack helicopters under NATO command struck Libyan military targets for the first time Saturday, increasing pressure on leader Moammar Gadhafi, commanders said.

British Apache helicopters destroyed two military installations, a radar site and an armed checkpoint near the coastal city of Brega, the captain of HMS Ocean told the BBC. The choppers were deployed from the ship.

Looks like its getting more and more intense now. I can envision a helo being downed by enemy fire.

An apache can be taken down by MANPADS and small arms fire. My questions is why didnt libyan forces have all these things organized in the first place to anticipate such an attack.

The reason that the f117 stealth plane was able to get into iraq in 1991 was because apaches came in and destroyed the early warning VHF radars in iraq that could DETECT the stealth planes.
edit on 4-6-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

top topics

join