It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Zombie Apocalypse?" REALLY? Something smells like a rat.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I don't know about anyone else, but I've grown increasingly irritated with this "Zombie Apocalypse" nonsense. Okay, sure....a person with common sense and half a brain should be able to see an attempt at creating a "pop culture craze" when they see it. However, with what we've just witnessed with the whole "May 21 Rapture" nonsense, it is clear too many people are gullible to the point of causing real harm. It was evident to me that the Harold Camping prediction was perpetuated with a lot of help and financial backing, especially since expensive billboards professing the end of the world was coming on May 21 started cropping up all over America....including several in my own city. WTF?

So, several months ago, I went to Barnes and Noble and happened upon the book written by Max Brooks entitled, "The Zombie Survival Guide." If one didn't know better, one would have thought upon reading this book that the author was not joking, because he provides several claims of "documented" zombie sightings and attacks that have been "recorded" throughout history. I mean, the book is the length of a friggin' novel and it's hard for me to believe that anyone would actually sit and read this thing from cover to cover, but that is just my own personal opinion. So I'm thinking..."Is this guy for real? Is he really trying to promote this crap?"

Well, upon researching Mr. Brooks, I found he is the son of Mel Brooks and formerly was a writer for Saturday Night Live. That explains a lot. Good for him, I guess. He found a way to make money writing fictional stuff and people think it's clever, or they believe it....whatever......

But now we're seeing this crap brought up on FoxNews and CBS, among others, I'm sure:

www.foxnews.com...

www.foxnews.com...=1

www.cbsnews.com...

And, of course, the CDC's blog post that started this whole thing was the topic of a thread earlier this week on ATS:

CDC Warns Public to Prepare for 'Zombie Apocalypse'

If this isn't enough, now apparently Mr. Max Brooks' affinity for zombies will be made into a movie produced by none other than Brad Pitt. Yeah, more publicity from the entertainment industry to fuel this moronic fire.

So today, I'm doing a little more poking around and find this website:

www.fvza.org...

Now, I would hope most people would know that this is clearly a hoax and that this is not a federal website.....but, well, you know how these things take on a whole life of their own.

Note what the CDC says about their recent post according to the CBS news report from the link I provided above:

There have been few comments asking whether this is the best way for the government to spend tax dollars. The agency is under a tight budget review at the moment and facing potentially serious budget cuts. But the zombie post involved no extra time or expenditure, CDC officials said. "We have a critical message to get out and that is CDC saves lives while saving money. If it takes zombies to help us get that message out, then so be it," said agency spokesman Tom Skinner.

Well, that says a lot, doesn't it? I don't know about you, but the way I interpret this statement is that we as a society are so ignorant, that simply informing the public that it might be a good idea to stock up and prepare for some major catastrophes isn't enough to get our interest. The only way we're gonna do what they say is if we are fed a bunch of nonsense about Zombies, then we might believe it and take action....because that's just how friggin' stupid we are.

Now, if this was just something that we were seeing promoted in the entertainment industry, then I wouldn't be too terribly upset about it. But, as you can see, this nonsense is being promoted by the government and the news media as well.

A joke? Perhaps

.....or perhaps the government and it's bastard stepchild, the media, are hoping this will start some kind of new fear for the masses to concentrate on and panic about.

Came just in time to distract away from the bin Laden debacle if you ask me.

I'm sure some of you will think I'm taking this way too seriously. To those, I say....wait about another year and see how this thing takes on a life of its own....then talk to me about it.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

I'm sure some of you will think I'm taking this way too seriously. To those, I say....wait about another year and see how this thing takes on a life of its own....then talk to me about it.

I think you answered your own inquiry. I personally think that you are taking this all too seriously. Zombies have been in the media for years, whether through movies, books, video games, television shows, etc. If the CDC found a way for people to "listen" on how to stock up for a disaster by using zombies, then all the more power to them.

I'm actually quite the fan of Max Brooks (and of the zombie genre in general), and I've read both the Zombie Survival Guide AND World War Z from cover to cover several times. Just like any other work of fiction, take it with a grain of salt, enjoy the stories, and most of all, don't take it too seriously.

Just my $.02.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker
edit on 23-5-2011 by truthseeker1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984

Thanks, Truthseeker, but come on.......

We've hardly seen the government and the media hype this nonsense with such frequency and in unison that I can ever recall in my lifetime. The government has no business poking around in this stuff, considering it's already come under the gun with serious questions by the population on matters of extreme importance. That's what my gripe is.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
This guy takes it more serious than any other thread if seen here lol. wow he de-bunked a Zombie Apocalypse. what an achievement lol.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy

Thanks, Truthseeker, but come on.......

We've hardly seen the government and the media hype this nonsense with such frequency and in unison that I can ever recall in my lifetime. The government has no business poking around in this stuff, considering it's already come under the gun with serious questions by the population on matters of extreme importance. That's what my gripe is.

I understand your gripe. I really do. However, with the observable increase in severe weather over the past six months (including the horrible winter, the flooding on the Mississippi, the tornadoes in Missouri, and the possibility of the worst hurricane season to date), I think that the CDC did what they thought they needed to in order to get a message of "preparedness" across. You know as well as I do that the sheeple won't listen to anything that hasn't already been trivialized and run through the MSM ringer a few dozen times. I'm sure they could have used a Dancing with the Stars spokesperson to deliver a message of preparedness, but that would have cost us taxpayers more money. Writing a small blog about a fictional Z-Day didn't cost anything to us, so whatever "advertising" means they need to use to get their point across is fine with me, as long as it doesn't cost any more of my tax dollars.

Would you rather see the Bieber talk about disaster preparedness?

I hope I'm not coming off as confrontational, as that's not my intent.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Come The Zombie Apocalypse you will be one of the first bitten.

Run in my direction and you will be met with a crossbow bolt through the skull or a katana through your neck.

Best wishes.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MiTS1965

Come The Zombie Apocalypse you will be one of the first bitten.

Run in my direction and you will be met with a crossbow bolt through the skull or a katana through your neck.

Best wishes.

HAHA! Now thats preparedness.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jaycen420

This guy takes it more serious than any other thread if seen here lol. wow he de-bunked a Zombie Apocalypse. what an achievement lol.

Wow....that was dumb. This isn't a thread debunking the Zombie Apocalypse....try reading it next time.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MiTS1965

Come The Zombie Apocalypse you will be one of the first bitten. Run in my direction and you will be met with a crossbow bolt through the skull or a katana through your neck. Best wishes.

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely stay clear of your general vicinity.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy

Come The Zombie Apocalypse you will be one of the first bitten. Run in my direction and you will be met with a crossbow bolt through the skull or a katana through your neck. Best wishes.

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely stay clear of your general vicinity.

You won't have any choice. You'll smell meat and go looking.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

However, with the observable increase in severe weather over the past six months (including the horrible winter, the flooding on the Mississippi, the tornadoes in Missouri, and the possibility of the worst hurricane season to date), I think that the CDC did what they thought they needed to in order to get a message of "preparedness" across. You know as well as I do that the sheeple won't listen to anything that hasn't already been trivialized and run through the MSM ringer a few dozen times. I'm sure they could have used a Dancing with the Stars spokesperson to deliver a message of preparedness, but that would have cost us taxpayers more money. Writing a small blog about a fictional Z-Day didn't cost anything to us, so whatever "advertising" means they need to use to get their point across is fine with me, as long as it doesn't cost any more of my tax dollars.

Okay, Truthseeker.....I see your point as well....

As soon as I stop LMAO at your Dancing with the Stars reference, I will address the Bieber comment.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

edit on 23-5-2011 by NightGypsy because: double post

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

You won't have any choice. You'll smell meat and go looking.

No way, man....not me.......I shant fall into the trap.......

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I guess we should all also notice that the recent increase in vampire movies and novels does not mean that a vampire apocalypse is coming. Maybe is a distraccion from, I don´t know, how bad some other recent movies are, or is just a metaphore for the decay of the US society and the bloodsuckers that rule it. Or maybe it is just me that I believe everything I read, even fictional histories, and feel the urge to tell everybody not to believe it, because, deep inside (maybe not too deep) I am the one who is really scared at the zom... eerrr... vampire apocalypse.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mastercanto

I guess we should all also notice that the recent increase in vampire movies and novels does not mean that a vampire apocalypse is coming. Maybe is a distraccion from, I don´t know, how bad some other recent movies are, or is just a metaphore for the decay of the US society and the bloodsuckers that rule it. Or maybe it is just me that I believe everything I read, even fictional histories, and feel the urge to tell everybody not to believe it, because, deep inside (maybe not too deep) I am the one who is really scared at the zom... eerrr... vampire apocalypse.

At least the government and the media haven't started hyping the need to prepare for an emergency vampire attack on the world. Who knows....maybe if we give it time.......

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker1984

I think you answered your own inquiry. I personally think that you are taking this all too seriously. Zombies have been in the media for years, whether through movies, books, video games, television shows, etc. If the CDC found a way for people to "listen" on how to stock up for a disaster by using zombies, then all the more power to them.

I'm actually quite the fan of Max Brooks (and of the zombie genre in general), and I've read both the Zombie Survival Guide AND World War Z from cover to cover several times. Just like any other work of fiction, take it with a grain of salt, enjoy the stories, and most of all, don't take it too seriously.

Just my $.02.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker
edit on 23-5-2011 by truthseeker1984 because: (no reason given)

Exactly. I've read the Survival Guide front-to-back twice now and thinking about a third. That little gem of a book has a hidden treasure within its pages. Anybody reading that will be placed in a certain state of mind and, by following some of the spirit of the book, will be more prepared for any sort of scenario where there may be baddies or a lack of modern conveniences.

Also, the OP insinuates that the "zombie pop culture craze" is new. This has been around (as a craze) for over 50 years. Its nothing new. I've been obsessed with zombie culture since I was born and there has always been those "sighting" type communities who like to play around. I think it's like their version of larping or something, iduno.

Point is that, silly or not, the world is closer to a zombie apocalypse than you think. I'd say the odds of it happening aren't any worse than "Nibiru" and all that other dooms-day nonsense. We are about two mutations away from having parasites that can turn us into zombies. Not to mention the prospect of actual viral causes, nanotech, etc. It's not as far-fetched as it sounds.

I look at it this way: if I am prepared for a zombie apocalypse, I'm prepared for just about anything.
edit on 23-5-2011 by Cuervo because: I used "then" instead of "than". I HATE it when people do that!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Why two threads with the exact same title and opening post?

Here’s the other, folks: www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join