It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Zombie Apocalypse?" REALLY? Something smells like a rat.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I don't know about anyone else, but I've grown increasingly irritated with this "Zombie Apocalypse" nonsense. Okay, sure....a person with common sense and half a brain should be able to see an attempt at creating a "pop culture craze" when they see it. However, with what we've just witnessed with the whole "May 21 Rapture" nonsense, it is clear too many people are gullible to the point of causing real harm. It was evident to me that the Harold Camping prediction was perpetuated with a lot of help and financial backing, especially since expensive billboards professing the end of the world was coming on May 21 started cropping up all over America....including several in my own city. WTF?

So, several months ago, I went to Barnes and Noble and happened upon the book written by Max Brooks entitled, "The Zombie Survival Guide." If one didn't know better, one would have thought upon reading this book that the author was not joking, because he provides several claims of "documented" zombie sightings and attacks that have been "recorded" throughout history. I mean, the book is the length of a friggin' novel and it's hard for me to believe that anyone would actually sit and read this thing from cover to cover, but that is just my own personal opinion. So I'm thinking..."Is this guy for real? Is he really trying to promote this crap?"

Well, upon researching Mr. Brooks, I found he is the son of Mel Brooks and formerly was a writer for Saturday Night Live. That explains a lot. Good for him, I guess. He found a way to make money writing fictional stuff and people think it's clever, or they believe it....whatever......

But now we're seeing this crap brought up on FoxNews and CBS, among others, I'm sure:

www.foxnews.com...

www.foxnews.com...=1

www.cbsnews.com...

And, of course, the CDC's blog post that started this whole thing was the topic of a thread earlier this week on ATS:

CDC Warns Public to Prepare for 'Zombie Apocalypse'

If this isn't enough, now apparently Mr. Max Brooks' affinity for zombies will be made into a movie produced by none other than Brad Pitt. Yeah, more publicity from the entertainment industry to fuel this moronic fire.

So today, I'm doing a little more poking around and find this website:

www.fvza.org...

Now, I would hope most people would know that this is clearly a hoax and that this is not a federal website.....but, well, you know how these things take on a whole life of their own.

Note what the CDC says about their recent post according to the CBS news report from the link I provided above:

There have been few comments asking whether this is the best way for the government to spend tax dollars. The agency is under a tight budget review at the moment and facing potentially serious budget cuts. But the zombie post involved no extra time or expenditure, CDC officials said. "We have a critical message to get out and that is CDC saves lives while saving money. If it takes zombies to help us get that message out, then so be it," said agency spokesman Tom Skinner.

Well, that says a lot, doesn't it? I don't know about you, but the way I interpret this statement is that we as a society are so ignorant, that simply informing the public that it might be a good idea to stock up and prepare for some major catastrophes isn't enough to get our interest. The only way we're gonna do what they say is if we are fed a bunch of nonsense about Zombies, then we might believe it and take action....because that's just how friggin' stupid we are.

Now, if this was just something that we were seeing promoted in the entertainment industry, then I wouldn't be too terribly upset about it. But, as you can see, this nonsense is being promoted by the government and the news media as well.

A joke? Perhaps

.....or perhaps the government and it's bastard stepchild, the media, are hoping this will start some kind of new fear for the masses to concentrate on and panic about.

Came just in time to distract away from the bin Laden debacle if you ask me.

I'm sure some of you will think I'm taking this way too seriously. To those, I say....wait about another year and see how this thing takes on a life of its own....then talk to me about it.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I have read the Zombie Survival Guide myself and I loved the book. I even read somewhere that Max Brooks said that everything he wrote in it "wasn't true" even though it's still in the non-fiction section of my local library. But that's probably because most of the survival tactics that are in the book are real

I have joked with my friends several times on what we would do if there was a zombie apocalypse but it's never gotten really serious.

It's the kind of thing that people talk about because it sounds like a lot of fun. Lets face it, what sounds better than shooting a lot of stupid zombies and making yourself look cool.

In all seriousness though, I do believe that a zombie outbreak is scientifically possible however I do not believe these will be the classic "shoot them in the head" zombies that pop culture is familiar with today. As for zombies completely taking over the world, that's not going to happen. I agree with your opinion on this and I do think this has gotten out of control at least a little bit anyway.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Sounds like you need to calm down dude. How about you just ignore it, if it bothers you? Wow.....

The movie is based on a book called "World War Z" which is a great book in my, and many others opinions.

I'm just not sure what your problem is? Mommy not love you enough as a child or something?
To think that the government is trying to spread paranoia about a zombie outbreak is just ridiculous. If you can't see it for what it is, then I don't know what to tell you.
edit on 23-5-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy

Well, that says a lot, doesn't it? I don't know about you, but the way I interpret this statement is that we as a society are so ignorant, that simply informing the public that it might be a good idea to stock up and prepare for some major catastrophes isn't enough to get our interest. The only way we're gonna do what they say is if we are fed a bunch of nonsense about Zombies, then we might believe it and take action....because that's just how friggin' stupid we are.

I feel what you're saying and I think your indignation is well placed. Unfortunately, many Americans are gullible and ignorant... perhaps not naturally, but by design. The propaganda machine has been working overtime within the last decade. And now, just in this past year, the stories (or "news" if you will) have become more twisted, more sensational, and more ridiculous by leaps and bounds. If our circumstance as a society wasn't so grave, I'd be rolling on the floor in hysterics. The absurdity of it all leaves me speechless or asking, "are you kidding me?"

I think the delineation between fantasy and reality has been intentionally blurred over time. The "reality" shows. The movies "based on a true story", while the "true story" hasn't even had any time to marinate. The news pieces that aren't news. Dramatizing truth. Fact or fiction? Silly or serious? Our residence within the biggest information revolution since the printing press presents all sorts of opportunities to manipulate, spin and confound.

Despite the excuse of using no tax dollars to announce the Zombie Apocalypse, I have a hard time believing that their intentions are as simplified as they make it out to be. Why not kill two birds with one stone if possible? Meaning - there is the stated intent, then there is perhaps an opportunity to "test the waters". Using the interweb for information dissemination, and then gauging the response.

It would be my guess that there are no foolish moves (maybe foolish consequences, but that's another thread). To you it's offending, because your intelligence is being insulted. To someone who has been absorbing all the mainstream messages, catchwords, and subliminal influences, it may elicit a snort and a brief comment. Maybe it is the only way to grab the attention of the general public. But additionally, it's an experiment of sorts to see just how far they can push the envelope. The past few months smacks of a bad sitcom combined with a hollywood blockbuster and Ripley's Believe it or Not. It probably has less to do with getting people interested in emergency preparedness. But frankly, I do not know the real motivations behind these bizarre moves. Maybe someone else can pitch in some ideas?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Reply to post by NightGypsy

You don't care much for video games either, do you? That's just a "hunchy" kind of question, respectfully. Things like that book are really made for entertainment purposes only. Or are they? I'm kidding - but really, I mean...I don't blame you I guess. There are going to be people who don't like stuff like that. Furthermore, I don't think a lot of people would believe it was real, and if they do I think it becomes a matter of "it's not my problem if someone believes it" to the author, anyway. I mean, he states in the book that it's all fake! Why I brought up the question of the video games is just because games like Grand Theft Auto come to mind. Some people are REALLY appalled by that game because of the violence. Well, it is only a game. This book is only a book. If you don't care for it, that's all good, but other people love it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Why two threads with the same title and opening post?

Here's the other: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
and remember recently Obama "rickrolled" the debt ceiling talk, so it is not beneath the white house to issue a "zombie apocalypse" just as a joke to break the ice.

If you ask me, the zombie apocalypse is simply a dumbed down version of what could actually happen if the dollar is destroyed. The populous is taught this sci-fi fairy tale to ease them into the real world price inflation and what it would do to them.

I also think that the people who blather on about a zombie apocalypse and actually mean what they are saying are the real zombies. The apocalypse is already here! Millions of people on welfare and tuned in to American idol, if that's not zombism I don't know what is.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Although the Zombie Apocalypse would be indeed a possibility, should something that shouldn; escape from some research lab, 28 Days style. I believe you're right. In that all this could indeed just be a viral marketing campaign for the 2nd series of "the walking dead" set to air in October, after the success of the 1st pilot series.

Cynical yes, however as the bou scouts say, be prepared.

But then Zombies have always been cool. unlike other horror creations that are popular, zombies never go out of fashion!

top topics

join