It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's to Replace Cashiers with Touch Screen Computers

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I think the bigger picture is more corporations will be going to automated machines to replace people in the service industry.

While most of those jobs and pay are really bad, it'll still be less jobs available for non-skilled people. Not really good news, IMO.

McDonalds had better watch it, though, since most of their customers I'm guessing work these kinds of jobs. That means less money to buy crappy food at their restaurants.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I don't think people in the US could handle something like that. I mean, I work part time at a grocery store and sometimes have to watch the self scan registers. You would be amazed at the number of people that stand there and stare at it like it's gonna do the work for them. The directions are clear as day. On a good day I will help them, an a bad day, I just wait to see of they ask for help. Scanning groceries is not brain surgery and I'm sure ordering. Big Mac and fries wouldn't be either, but at least where I live, ya never know!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Geez, how dare McDonalds attempt to streamline their operations? Don't they know these dropouts need a job? Instead of installing touch screens, they should be installing motorized Lazy Boy recliners for the employees to scoot around in.

Don't they know these people are owed a job? The nerve on them.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

not fair for the prople who work the registers

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Re the OP...this is earth shattering info? There is a conspiracy here? ( apart from saving denaro??)

I admit that I have eaten MickeyD's probably 4 times in my life but the one thing I can say that maybe is REAL important is.....please provide a hand sanitiser unit next to the touch screen.

ETA: This scenario was always gonna happen somewhere sometime.
edit on 23-5-2011 by annella because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I never use automated checkouts. Even morons need jobs, after all, and it's less of a hassle to me to remind a Checkout Zombie what my change is, than it is to help pay said moron's unemployment.

Besides, you can't buy beer at an automated checkout.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

As I learned in Principles of Microeconomics, it's not as simple as "replacing workers with machines." It's about the cost and efficiency of human labor vs the cost and efficiency of machines. If machines can do the same job for less, then the company can make more profit by replacing workers. Making profit is the primary goal of a company, and their investors expect it,

Also, remember what happened with the cotton gin. Eli Whitney hoped that it would reduce the need for slave labor. Rather, his invention allowed more slaves to pick cotton and reduced the need for seed removers, and as a result the plantation owner could plant even more cotton. It actually caused the cotton industry to boom in the South, requiring even more slave labor. His invention INCREASED the amount of slaves in the US!
edit on 23-5-2011 by PieKeeper because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Are you employed?

Think you'd do very well if you were unemployed?

Think you would survive if you were unemployed and nobody was hiring because htey had "streamlined" their operations and no long had any employees beyond the guy who wipes down the touch screens?

It's easy to shake your cane at the sky when you're in a position of privilege over those who you are condemning, isn't it?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I once worked in a Subway and their registers had pictures on the keys of the different sub types and size to make it easier for employees with reading problems. It would show you the total price including tax. The customer would give you cash; you entered the amount and it showed you how much change to give the customer. When the register crashed, employees had to do the math for the purchase and tax on paper and calculate the change due the customer. It was amazing to see how many employees including managers could not do it. Money was lost because of mistakes and customers leaving because of long lines and slow service.
Obviously companies try to make it as easy as possible for the type of people they hire. You get what you pay for.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
It does not matter one way or the other if I have to use a touch screen or order from the cashier.

Either way I still get the same heart attack inducing food that I know is unhealthy but eat anyway.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

I take it you're employed? You cannot see the other side until you're actually apart of it. There's more to it then 'drop outs' (who, coincidentally, DO get the jobs somehow over others willing to put their flesh and blood into it). If brought to the US in its current state, it'd destroy the economy further because all of those unemployed no longer have money to keep the system afloat and even more looking for a job.

We cannot continue down the same path as a few reap the rewards while the rest at the 'bottom' are trampled and looked down upon with excuses such as drop outs, crackheads, etc, when that is far from the case.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Well I am certainly no moron. I happen to work two jobs. That is my second job, which I took when my ex lost his job several years ago. I could have quit but I like the people I work with and many regular customers. Alot of people that work there do so as a second job or have lost jobs in other fields and instead of living off of your tax dollars they are at least working. Also some are retirees working to have something to do and/or to supplement their social security, And hey, even a few are in high school and actually work when they are there.

And yes, where I live you can purchase beer AND cigarettes at the self check out.

So don't be so quick to judge.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
What? No more cute lil Asian-American girls to flirt with? Jeez, what would I do if I still ate there? And remember, you can't charm a touch-screen terminal into slipping you an extra cheeseburger or two.

Seriously, though, I haven't eaten Micky D's since 2004, with no plans to go back. I don't miss the food, but oh, those cashiers...

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Are you employed?

Think you'd do very well if you were unemployed?

No I'm not employed. I get by.

Think you would survive if you were unemployed and nobody was hiring because htey had "streamlined" their operations and no long had any employees beyond the guy who wipes down the touch screens?

Then I'd have to find a way to earn independently. Thankfully I've never been in that position where I couldn't earn, even if only as a 1099. I've delivered newspapers as a second job for years when times were lean. I've done other jobs. When I would get laid off, I would find other menial work. There was always work out there, even during the Carter years.

The point is, if you make a job at McD's the sum total of you career achievement, then life is going to be tough, unless your skills match their needs. That's life in the business world.

It's easy to shake your cane at the sky when you're in a position of privilege over those who you are condemning, isn't it?

I resent that. I'm not condemning anybody, and you are rude to infer that I am. But you do a great disservice to people if you convince them that society owes them a job. So McD's installs touch screens. Learn how to service computer equipment, I guarantee you you'll always have a job for the next 10 years. Plenty of time to gain other skills for your next step.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
As a frequent visitor to McDonalds, I have often thought how convenient it would be if there were touch screens where I could specify my burger *before* getting to the front of the queue to place my order.

In that time my burger could be cooked and available waiting for me when I actually order it.

Of course, someone has to make it, someone has to hand it to me, someone has to handle my cash and give me change, and someone has to deal with me if I change my order. Someone definitely needs to ask me if I want fries with that (especially after I've just ordered a burger and drink NO FRIES please).

But it sure would be convenient to get that burger order in, so that there's time to cook it before the cashier goes looking for it on the otherwise empty burger shelf.

Now if they'd only hire more cleaners to clean the trays, the tables and the floors. Compared to other countries I've been, the level of hygiene at McDonalds in the UK is disgusting. Sometimes it is difficult to find a clean table in the entire place.

I once saw a staff member take dirty trays from off the top of the bin, take them to the till and use them immediately without cleaning them. Given that they just slop the fries onto the tray and don't care whether they land on the clean paper or on the filthy plastic tray, I cannot imagine how easily germs spread in that place.

Well, I said that I frequently visit McDonalds. I think I meant to say, I used to frequently visit McDonalds.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I got an idea; just don't eat at Mcdonalds.

It's the most disgusting fast food place ever created. They have a unique fog of grease and fat guy BO so bad that it sticks to your clothes.

But yeah, eating there is compliance.
edit on 23-5-2011 by The_Zomar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
There's nothing wrong with this at all.
Smart business move.

It saves money in the long run, and I doubt computers will walk out with your cash.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by OneLife

I take it you're employed? You cannot see the other side until you're actually apart of it. There's more to it then 'drop outs' (who, coincidentally, DO get the jobs somehow over others willing to put their flesh and blood into it). If brought to the US in its current state, it'd destroy the economy further because all of those unemployed no longer have money to keep the system afloat and even more looking for a job.

I've been unemployed plenty of times, but never permanently. There are other jobs if you lose the one you have right now.

We cannot continue down the same path as a few reap the rewards while the rest at the 'bottom' are trampled and looked down upon with excuses such as drop outs, crackheads, etc, when that is far from the case.

Nobody is looking down at anybody who will take hold of his own future, dropout or whatever. I do scorn those who preach that you have a claim on my life, however.

And I'm not willing to buy into the "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need" Marxist dogma. There has never been a society that successfully implemented that doctrine. It is a creed of death.

When you tell someone that society owes them a job, you are giving them the pen to sign their own death warrant.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
The new Jack in the Box has a kiosk for ordering food AND a live person taking orders. The good part is you can take ur time ordering because no one wants to try to order thru the kiosk. The bad part is you have to wait longer for your food than if you went to a cashier.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Ok...so what if you want to pay cash?......will the machine take cash too....and make change? Or will they have another machine that you put your cash in and a McDonald's credit card pops out...and then you go to the ordering machine?

I am confused. Help!...lol

I did some more research and answered my own question...lol....they are not going to accept cash...just credit cards and debit cards...and those cards will all be chipped....interesting.
edit on 23-5-2011 by caladonea because: add more info

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join