It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's to Replace Cashiers with Touch Screen Computers

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Yay...next stop Robotic age! where humans become as fat as the ones on Walle

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Solsthime331

Never saw that movie, I take it the human race ends up like those people you see riding those hoverrounds through walmart?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Could this spark a huge protest by disgruntled employees?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Best news I have heard all day maybe now I'll get what I actually ordered...

Although I shouldn't eat there to begin with it's pretty disgusting lol

I read a story somewhere that this lady let a kids meal sit around for a year and it was still edible

the only thing that went bad was the bun hahah

heres the story www.dogonews.com...

edit on 23-5-2011 by AmerikanDekline because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-5-2011 by AmerikanDekline because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-5-2011 by AmerikanDekline because: found link

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by wlasikiewicz
McDonalds isnt that bad if you only have it every now and then, but replacing hum and for simple touch screens isnt the way to go. Supermarkets here (UK) have self service cashier machines where you scan your own food and pay with either cash or card and thats gets ripped off loads so the McDonalds one will only be the same. McDonalds will loose more than they make with this one.

Fails the logic test. If as you state the self service gets ripped off then why on earth would supermarkets keep them??????? Why would ever more shops introduce them ??????

When it comes to money the higher profit path is ALWAYS preferred. so that means self service is more profitable than cashier checkout.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
I doubt McDonalds will stop taking cash any time soon, these self service tills are just going to be along side the normal tills like they do in supermarkets.

Yeah, I think you are right. There is a Jack In The Box in my area that has one of these Kiosks... I have yet to see ANYONE use it though. Everyone just goes and stands in line for the human cashier.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Hells yes! its actualy a nice spin on what would happen in the future if you think of it that way while watching it.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
More jobs being lost to technology.

Cool

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

This is OUTRAGEOUS!!! I read the OP and instantly responded. Just what we need more machines to drive our country to s**t. We pride ourselves on being progressed and evolved but look what that gets us, OBESITY!!! We do nothing but make things more convenient for us and dont realize what the outcome or reaction will be. For every action there is an equal or opposite reaction. Do people not think that eventually when whatever happens that none of this will be useful and no one will know how to do anything anymore. We rely too much on other things or machines to do things for us. Personally I like to figure things out for myself, rather rewarding.

Another thought, what will happen tp communication when everything turns to comp or machines? Why would we even need to talk to anyone? Would there even be a civilization out there to listen? We already are removing certain aspects or writing out of schools and wanting to reform certain tests to graduate bc our incompetent society can't keep up. Come on people, WAKE UP.

Yes the movie with Will Smith and the robots was rather silly, personally, but there is some truth or point being made. We cannot rely on things we as humans created to get us through life and not think at any point that they could fail.

My apologies for coming across so brash but this has been a sore subject for me for a while. I'm so sick of people wanting to be spoon fed. Get off your lazy bum and figure things out or do things for yourself. Ahhh, feel much better

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
How are the dumb ass people going to order then...hell, half of America can't read 5th grade English.....Guess they will use symbols like they do everything else to keep up the dumbing down of peeps...Why not use wet backs they catch crossing the border illegally? After they server 1 million Hamburgers then deport them back to where they came from.....Get something out of their a$$'s.....

I had to edit because I dropped my cheeseburger and fry's....lol...
edit on 23-5-2011 by Caji316 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
this is clearly part of the depopulation plan
how? all of the jobs as they disintergrate leave lotsa people unemployed. then what happens to the unemployable millions and millions of people? you guessed it death by natural disaster. this way it does not really matter. then we reach a point where there is not enough workers to fill the jobs and we start again.
its so obvious

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Good now I won't have to worry about saying, meat and cheese only, over and over and over to the point I'm like checking my burger for spit afterwards. It is not hard, two buttons and bam you have just meat and cheese people.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/afcf0861d4c2.jpg[/atsimg]

2nd

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by wlasikiewicz
McDonalds isnt that bad if you only have it every now and then, but replacing hum and for simple touch screens isnt the way to go. Supermarkets here (UK) have self service cashier machines where you scan your own food and pay with either cash or card and thats gets ripped off loads so the McDonalds one will only be the same. McDonalds will loose more than they make with this one.

How is McDonald's going to lose anything? They'll still have managers on premise as well as staff in the kitchen and behind the counter to make the drinks and bag the food. You'll still only get the food AFTER you've paid for it.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
It might be an improvement.

Several years ago I was at a McDonalds on South Beach, Fl.

And English woman on vacation came up to the counter after ordering food asking for Cutlery.

The non english speaking lady behind the counter had a look of utter confusion. Her response was, "Como?".

The poor lady behind the counter had no idea what that was. Neither did the other 4 ladies working the register.

Finally they called over the Manager who was similarly clueless.

At this point my eye was twitching watching this comedy of errors unfold. The entire staff of the McDonalds could not figure out what the heck this English woman was talking about.

Finally after trying very hard not to bitch slap the closest person behind the counter I said, "She wants a Fork and Knife." While making the international pantomime for stabbing your food with a fork and cutting it with a knife.

The poor English lady looked at me and said, "Yeah that right. A fork and knife. Cutlery!" While also stabbing imaginary food with a fork and cutting with the knife.

Everyone behind the counter immediately recognized this pantomime and started to imitate it also.

Finally they got the poor lady her Cutlery.

edit on 23-5-2011 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Wow, on page 1 of this thread string I read:

Originally posted by thegoods724
I am not sure how bad this is, its either you get a mexican that can barely speak english...

I just assumed it slipped by unnoticed. Then on page 5:

Originally posted by Caji316
...Why not use wet backs they catch crossing the border illegally?

Seems like anything goes regarding our neighbors to the South. Bigotry is allowed?

As far as self-serve automated check out. They have it at Home Depot and I enjoy it and I don't eat at Mickey D's.
edit on 23-5-2011 by MaskedDebater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

PROS: not having to deal with rude cashiers with bad attitudes (or rude customers if you happen to be the cashier)...you click in your order and if there's a screw up.. it is more likely your own fault (we will be responsible for our own orders)

CONS: now there will be even fewer jobs, however low paying and demeaning...

But there is a problem... these machines don't always give you the correct change. Happened to me a few times.

And I'd hate to say it, but I've gotten to the point where the less I have to deal with a cashier the better. People are just SO rude and hostile in public... so I try to not interact with anyone when I go out. Sounds very bad but I speak only of the truth...

I dunno about the rest of you.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
At least I'll know my order is right.

That being said; do people still eat the "food" from that place?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Technological unemployment is only going to accelerate as technology becomes cheaper and more powerful coupled with the deteriorating global economy which is making companies streamline and downsize faster than they normally would have. It's only a matter of time before McDonald's figures out how to automate it's store service end-to-end leaving the need for only a few workers and a manager per shift.

The only reason anyone still has a job today is because they haven't figured out how to automate it-yet. However, technological unemployment creates the unintended side effect of shooting itself in its own foot since there become fewer people with money to spend due to the fact that less people are actually working. Go figure.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

if you want to call it "food" then yes yes they do.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join