It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's to Replace Cashiers with Touch Screen Computers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by jude11

I think a better question is, "Why is Obama being brought into a topic on European business?"

Because with the 62,000 new jobs announced earlier, then the ObamaCare free pass for McD's and now an announcement of a new way of doing business that will surely leap the Ocean to N. America. It always does.

Maybe it's me but it IS a little suspicious.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Well I imagine one day McDonald's will be one big machine with a robot brain as CEO

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
McDonalds who?

Didn't they predict once upon a time back in the late 70s or early 80s [Yes, I'm showing my age] that ATMs would do away with or replace bank tellers? I also remember them predicting the paperless office etc.

Besides, Who eats at McDonalds anyway

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I fail to see any problem with this.

McDonald's is a private business not a charity !

If it's more cost effective for them to use computers rather than humans to serve their customers, then it's only common financial sense for them to do so.

Computers have replaced humans, to some extent, in just about every profession and occupation there is.

People need to move with the times.

edit on 23-5-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I don't eat at McDonald's or any other one of those fast food restaurants (i did it 2 or 3 times to check them out, long time ago), because they're disgusting. But replacing cashiers with computers would be a good move in Germany. At least here it's a running gag, that you never get what you ordered because 99% of the people working at McDonald's or Burger King are immigrants who have no clue about the german language and therefore are not qualified for such a position.
So i guess it's a good move, at least computers are only sometimes wrong and not all the tim

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
ps...cute sanitizer....what do you think will happen if we all use these for the next 10 yrs...immune bacteria or a weakened tollerance...?

I totally agree. I'm not one to fear every little microbe. Some do though. I personally think yours is a valid point.

Edit to add: I don't know why anyone that would eat at McDonald's would be worried about germs anyway.

edit on 23-5-2011 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Edit to add: I don't know why anyone that would eat at McDonald's would be worried about germs anyway.

OK..

Knock that off. I just laughed coffee up through my nose all over the keyboard...

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

edit on 23-5-2011 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

for real...no lie...last time i was there, the dude emptied the trash....then went straight to the oven pulled out the chicken breast, and started checking with this poky thing if they were cooked....all the while fiddling with the chicken...nasty

i say chicken breasts with zero confidence..lets call it rats breats for a more realistic account..lol
edit on 23-5-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
why, or rather how, did they just hire 55,000+ workers?

They must plan on the new way to bring in barrels full of money and they need the extra help to flip burgers?

I thnk the whole 50,000 hire thing was a gimmic. Maybe I will do a follow up to that one (w/ McDonalds).

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

My only issue is that these screens will be absolutely filthy.

BTW...speaking of screens....what would make those any filthier than, say...an ATM keypad? Think about it....

Rather than the hand sanitizer option (some bacteria are good for you, actually) a trick that is easy to accomplish is...use your knuckles. Presuming the buttons are large enough, they usually are.

I even do it on the microwave and similar controls, at home.....to lessen the ugly fingerprints. Makes housework easier, less need to wipe them back to shiny and clean looking, so often.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Ewwww! If I had done something stupid like that back when I worked at wendy's my manager would have smacked me upside the head....

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Back in my weaker days, I've seen the inside of a fair number of McDonald's restaurants, and I can tell you one thing - I would be SHOCKED if more than 50% of their customers could make it through touch screen ordering without screwing something up. Maybe fast food joints draw in a little more intellectually competitive crowd in European countries than here in the states, but a line of 80 year olds, homeless people, 15 year old high school drop outs, Nam vets who are already sloshed by 2pm, and the stubby fingered morbidly obese all trying to tap and smash their way to a quadruple bacon bypass burger meal with a pound of fries and a half gallon of diet coke sounds... interesting, to say the least. Like the computer lab at Bob Jones (sorry, couldn't help myself).

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
S & F

I see it happening at far more places than McDonanld's in the near future.....maybe next 2 years

If a robot can do your job, its time to change professions

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I predicted something like this a while back. Here are the pro's and cons.
Pros: Faster order times, no misinterpretation between customer and cashier, faster and more accurate data mining, and the customers actually know what the menu has to offer.
Cons: Very impersonal service, potential for abuse, high cost of new technology, and poor public image.

Personally, I'm against any touchscreen cashiers. But then again, I think that everyone should gather there own food and not have to rely on a company like Mcdonalds.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Always remember, a machine doesn't pay taxes.
Its even more valid when you look at cars industry.
Everyone is slowly being replaced by machines.
Its not necessarily a bad thing considering the youth
but the transition is badly started.

I hope people will understand one day that Mcdo is a nuisance.
or maybe i got it all wrong in my formulation. I should say
Go to McDonald they serve the most nutritive burger around full of organic, way too healthy, bread and meat.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

For the bacterially conscientious. Or whatever they call it in your country.

Common this is McDonalds we are talking about here.....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/50837dc57ed4.jpg[/atsimg]

Maybe McDonalds will put some money behind usable 'non'touch screen human interface set up's.... Cos I have been warned not to touch the teenagers taking my order before...

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by eagleeye2
Go to McDonald they serve the most nutritive burger around full of organic, way too healthy, bread and meat.

That's sarcasm right? Use the nutritional counter. McDonald's relies on salt and fat to attract people. Even their Shake is loaded with both. Their shake has 3 times the fat as Burger King's. Yes, I just checked. That doesn't even get to the burgers and fries.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I wonder how long they will keep the biometric finger prints on record for each transaction.

bagged and tagged just like you,

Sri Oracle

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

yes of course lol.
thats a lame attempt of reverse psychology.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle
I wonder how long they will keep the biometric finger prints on record for each transaction.

bagged and tagged just like you,

Sri Oracle

you rekon they can read then line up your fingerprint with your credit card...can these touch screens record my fingerprint..??

to add...mcdonalds is a member of the cloud....the living, conscious internet....creepy dudes

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join