It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's to Replace Cashiers with Touch Screen Computers

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
No surprise to me. Most service jobs will be replaced by machines, and I prefer that. Whenever I go to the grocery store I always try to use the self service checkout. Technological unemployment is a real thing, and will continue to grow. So what happens with the people that are replaced? Where do they go to find jobs? This is an interesting problem ...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

Originally posted by azbowhunter
They will still screw up my order.

You are putting the order in yourself
and so you can't make a mistake (eliminating server error)
unless you don't know what you want.

Doesn't someone still need to get the food for you?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
We have those self service machines in the supermarket I work at, it doesn't really make any difference and it allows us to stay open all night

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThreeNF

Originally posted by newcovenant

Originally posted by azbowhunter
They will still screw up my order.

You are putting the order in yourself
and so you can't make a mistake (eliminating server error)
unless you don't know what you want.

Doesn't someone still need to get the food for you?

Yes but that is about as hard as getting A6 out of the candy machine. If your chef can cook and the people know what they want it is a happy marriage without the middleman.

This instance is not the best example but in most cases where we the consumer can stop paying the middleman and recoup the value they absorb ourselves we are doing better.

Alternatively, when we eliminate the middleman and the other end of the supply chain (i.e. the purveyor or mfg) benefits - we are screwed and doing worse.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
As long as they don't replace 100% of their cashiers with touch screens, it will be just fine. Think about some supermarkets that have an OPTION for people to use touch screens and check out themselves. And theaters are doing this, too. Sure, you can wait in line for human interaction, or wait in a shorter line for touch screen service and zip past people wanting good old-fashioned human interaction.

I can see McD's doing the same thing: 2 or 3 cashiers, and 2 or 3 touch screens --for those wanting some expediency. It's smart to leave at least two human cashiers to service people who are intimidated by self-checkout at a touch screen. Now, if they're going 100% touch screen, big mistake, for there will always be people who prefer human interaction for one reason or another. 100% touch screen interaction will result in LONGER transaction times because some people will perpetually be confused by touch screen interaction, just like people are by automated voice systems for phone calls.

la2

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I think this is a great idea, personally i like the convenience of makkies food, but hate the attitude of the simpletons they employ, so go you makkies, get rid and put in nice touch screens instead

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Slightly off topic, but aren't they supposedly banning happy meals as well? I don't know if this is just in the UK or if it is America too

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

What kind of people go to MacDonalds? More important, what kind of people feed that poison to their children?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724
I am not sure how bad this is, ...
But if your actually eating mcdonalds to begin with well, your an idiot already.

Here's yer star and
Good point Goods, and I'm an idiot for the bacterial group grope of my bun by CRT
(Cathode Repeatedy Touchie-feelie) right before I chow down on the undead bread.
Sounds not only yummy but a little unsanitary, just sayin'. But don't listen to me,
I just got up and only had a couple swallows of coffee and black mold from last night...
it'll be fine.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I also remember them predicting the paperless office etc.

Actually, a paperless environment is a good thing in regards to office's. has been my career actually to convert large corporations into a paperless environment.
some businesses have literally warehouses of just archived documents...replaced by a small box with "platters" and a kickarse scanner scanning all docs in.
Shmuckers turned their archive room into a employee rec area to celebrate going paperless.

Besides, Who eats at McDonalds anyway

Dude...their french fries are the bomb
they sprinkle em with crack or something, I donno...but they are highly addictive. their burgers suck, but come on man...the fries...nom nom nom

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I seldom eat their swill but I can see the advantages if this. This didn't happen at McDonald's, Tim Horton's actually(Canada's major coffee chain), The kids couldn't make change without me telling them, "That's 1 quarter, a dime and a nickle." I weep for the future.

The look on a coffee-slinger's face is absolutely priceless when you give them, say $3.02, so you can get back a nickel or what-have-you to reduce your carry around change. It's like you just shoved Hawking's latest theory in front of them and have asked for a detailed explanation.

As for the machines... I will not use them at any store. Somehow it seems wrong to deprive my neighbours of jobs, crappy jobs, but jobs nonetheless, when the company is obviously only doing it to increase profit.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
It always strikes me how people claim in threads about McDonalds that they never eat, ate, or would eat there.

Cmon people there's no shame in telling that you like muncing on a burger every now and then knowing it's bad for you, and even if you dont, no reason to call people who DO enjoy a burger every now and then whatever they get called in a regular basis (irresponsible parents? cmon... ever actually LOOKED at the menu there? it's not all burgers and fries you know?)

As for the cashiers, i couldnt care less, service is usually fast and good here in NL and the only problem i see is a machine swapping an old burger for a fresher one (yes they do that too!)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Hmm....as I recall, those running the register weren't just running the registers. They were also making the food. They'd rotate who does what.

A few issues that could happen:

1. Mischievous kids pressing buttons at random (though I suppose until paid for, it wouldn't go back to the kitchen)

2. What happens if someone has a question about how to order something?

3. Limits transactions to cards (unless a cash option like do it yourself registers)

4. How do you handle incorrect orders? (need someone to call up the order, make corrections, give change or accept more, etc.)

5. Often, I've been to a fast food restaurant when some of their network is down, and they still had manual capacity. In this case, doesn't seem like that would be an option.

6. The loss of service will automatically translate to at least some loss of customers.

There are a host of other issues of course, but these are just some obvious ones that arise.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
We already have those here in Belgium.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
1. Mischievous kids pressing buttons at random (though I suppose until paid for, it wouldn't go back to the kitchen)

It will look exactly like this

This reminds me of the idiocracy kiosk concept

(your kids are starving..Carls Jr believes no child should go hungry...you are an unfit mother)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I seldom eat their swill but I can see the advantages if this. This didn't happen at McDonald's, Tim Horton's actually(Canada's major coffee chain), The kids couldn't make change without me telling them, "That's 1 quarter, a dime and a nickle." I weep for the future.

Thanks for bringing the arithmetic issue up, intrepid... worth a star at least.

I'm no calculus maven, but the stretched 'S' button's on my twelve dollar
eBay calculator when I need it. Never know what that 3/16 square key will
take for torque before it shears in half turning the v pulley-- oh well. At least
Redneck and I could push a friendly flapgum about liquifaction if the need arose.

Tech had made change at the supermarkets for over ten years; and I'm more
than a little worried when the checkout Cro-Magnon can't mentally arrive at the
fifteen button when I give her a ten and five. Idiocracy and cheap digital appears
to be eating the Western brain faster than Mr. Romero's biggest zombie swarm.
I mourn right now over the exiting math test scores: is it any wonder why we
can't make anything out of it? One rolling power outage and the whole Safeway's
going "RAST! B R E E E - LAAHHH !!" Stephen King, Cell.
You can't even stick the fork in us anymore, we're so well done hard--- m'Gawd

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
On Mc Donald's part, this i a good thing. On humanity's part...a few people will be out of jobs. But you'll don't have to worry about tptb replacing all human work with machines just yet. If they did that, we won't be able to tax us, etc.

Machines doing our work for us in the future is actually a pretty good thing. It would put into perspective, what exactly is the purpose of work? For money? lol

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Sweet! Poisoning zombies becomes much less personal. This is awesome news.
tl;dr If you eat a McDonalds you're a fool.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
And People wonder why everyone is getting lazy fat and greedy,and more jobs gone down the drain.Technology abuse is ruining the world.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
So i'm just curious when most jobs are replaced by machines when do we start receiving checks in the mail or do we have to starve in the streets; because that is coming more of a reality everyday for more people. With the way or society is set-up!.

I've never received financial assistance from my government in my life either because i've been able to hold down a job.

But i am speaking of something that will soon become a reality i bode.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join