It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How 50-Mile-High Jets of Lightning Shoot Toward Space.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Wow, I have never heard of lightning shooting into outer space before, this is my first time. I always thought lightning shoot down to earth. Now I know it goes both ways.

Gigantic jets of lightning that shoot upward toward space can tower 50 miles above the Earth’s surface. Until now, we knew very little about the conditions that set them off or how they form.

Close observations of two gigantic jets in September 2010 enabled researchers to map out the electrical-charge imbalances that spawned this particular type of lightning.

“For the first time, these observations give us details of what lightning channels are doing when they form gigantic jets,” said lightning scientist Steven Cummer of Duke University, co-author of research published May 5 in Geophysical Research Letters.

More at

www.wired.com...

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Yep. I have read this somewhere before. I would like to witness it one day. It would be amazing.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

Does are called sprites here are some videos of them

Very interesting phenomenon.

OnlyLove

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I think soon we will all get a chance to see galactic lightning

There's alot of similarities in early cultures and atmospheric phenomina
They saw and put into their religious symbols.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
I think soon we will all get a chance to see galactic lightning

There's alot of similarities in early cultures and atmospheric phenomina
They saw and put into their religious symbols.

Absolutely! The possibilities are unlimited, especially as we approach the Electric Universe Model. The thought that a comet (if it is a comet) could come between us and our Sun, and "hi-jack" our current Magnetosphere in that the influence is no longer from the Sun but from another Heavenly Body, just blows my mind for one.

The thought that we could actually begin to Hear 7 Trumpets loud and clear if something like this were to strike us from across the Solar System! Wow, I would be on my knees shaking like a leaf and declaring that I will never Sin again! LOL

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

a massive electrical discharge could rupture the ear drums of people for miles.

nothing more confusing to speech than that.

new topics

top topics

join