It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace is a three part BBC documentary series by filmmaker Adam Curtis, well known for other documentaries including The Trap and The Power of Nightmares. It starts on Monday 23rd May 2011 at 9pm on BBC2.

The title is the same as a 1967 poem and collection of poems by Richard Brautigan.

It is about how computers have failed to liberate us and instead have "distorted and simplified our view of the world around us"

Wikipedia

Just thought I would give you fine people a heads up about this new documentary by Adam Curtis. I've watched all of his works and they never cease to amaze me in their content and presentation.

Most of his more famous works are always verging on being conspiratorial and so I'm sure most of you will fully enjoy it, and this particular documentary looks like it could be right up our street.

Adam Curtis: Have computers taken away our power?

If you aren't already aware of Curtis' work I urge you to seek it out and take the time to watch it. I shall upload this particular documentary to this thread once I can find it on-line for those who may be unable to watch it on television.

Until then, and in the mean time, go and watch The Power of Nightmares or one of his other docs. Brilliant stuff

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Good heads up,

Watch very very little on the box except docus and films cant wait for this.

This filmaker is like the Bill Hicks of the Documentary world , he brings into this medicum subjects and truths that no other person has been able to get on MSM quite so effectively.

A real heads up, anyone on ats who watches his work will be impressed and learn something new about topics covered on these forums.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
This should be a real eye opener!

We have been co-opted and integrated into a new world where the system itself will determine the only possible outcomes.
We are losing our vision not only as a society but as a part of nature itself.
The world we once belonged to contained plants, animals. weather and the mystery of creation whereas our modern world has become a closed machine system where reality is dictated, not experienced.
The trades we have made for "progress" are successive steps in destroying our own humanity.

I am truly looking forward to seeing this.
Lucky Brits get first viewings.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Looking forward to this,Adam Curtis is one of only a handfull of broadcasters who seems unafraid to look behind the curtain.And he does it with intelligence and quality information IMO.

The most eye opening for me being "The power of nightmares",and "The Trap-What happened to our dream of freedom."Both of those are excellent.
I expect his latest work will be too.
Whats the betting he touches on the whole echelon/NSA/global surveillance system angle of computers?
I would bet he will.
Going to have to catch it on IPlayer though...Sodding work.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Ooh it's starting today!
Thanks, looks like it's going to be fantastic

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Hmm,seriously considering phoning in sick to watch this...but I can't as the boss knows I like Adam Curtis' films and he will suss me out.
Maybe I could be cheeky and phone in to tell them I will be a in straight after the programme.
Hmmm won't go down well though.

Knowing my luck the boss will me monitoring my every post here from his office,thus bringing to life one of the points of tonight's prog,how computers can work against us.
Thanks alot computers!!!

(Did I ever mention what a totally great guy my boss is BTW,oh yeah he's a real giant among men,proper stand up bloke,does loads of work for charity etc etc...)

IPlayer it is then,sigh.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
This program looks interesting. Thanks for posting.

And when done with that, check out the band Machines Of Loving Grace, a great subculture band from the 90s.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Just bumping this for those that may have overlooked it.

9pm.

Don't miss it!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
LOVE Adam Curtis and have a fair few of his documentaries on DVD... particularly like "The power of nightmares" , "The Trap" and "The Century of Self"

This looks fantastic and is just about to start... saw the trailer this morning.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Absolute fantastic as usual...

Factual, not sensationalist crap, really interesting and framed within a context.

I'm not sure I can wait a week now, may have to go find it to watch

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Wasn't it just.

Curtis can do no wrong in my opinion, he's very switched on.

I've had Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged on my book shelf for a couple of months now after it seemed to haunt me where ever I went, I need to start paying it some attention.

Next week looks just as good. Looking forward to it.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
reply to post by blupblup

Wasn't it just.

Curtis can do no wrong in my opinion, he's very switched on.

I know, I'm amazed that he isn't as big as he should be.
People don't like informative, factual documentaries.... they just like OMG!!!! Documentaries that are based on speculation and conjecture.

Hopefully it'll be on youtube so the folks in the US can watch it too.

Atlas shrugged has always been on my "list" just never got around to reading it..
edit on 23/5/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
For those unable to see it on the BBC:

Part One

BBC iPlayer Link

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I watched it last night on iPlayer, not as good as I was expecting and I'm not a fan of the slightly anti-Semitic undertones.

Curtis has left out a large portion of the history of the internet so far, I hope it does touch on where the net has come from and what web 2.0 and predictive programming is trying to lead people.

The funny thing is that data mining is only as good as the data, much like statistics. I know analysts love raw data but it is so easy to extrapolate an incorrect hypothesis from bad information. Algorithms only make bad data even worse.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Just finished watching this, did a search to see if it had been posted yet and found this thread. Respect dude, another brilliant documentary from Adam Curtis - can't wait to see the next two parts!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
So this documentary was amazing...

The last part just finished.... and

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Just watched this myself, glad you posted it for people to check out.

Haven't seen part three yet...I'm not sure but I think its not out yet?

Anyways, one part that made my mind go clicking off in weird directions- was the part where the documentary says that "lots of Ayn Rand followers named their companies and even their children after Ayn Rand and her works".

Hmmm....

Rand Paul anyone?

Naaaaah....he can't be one of these Randien Heroes now can he?

Of course he can. Add another reason I don't trust nor like that guy.

MM
edit on 6-6-2011 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Episode Two (Full)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Here is episode 3 full...

new topics

top topics

join