It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Titan, Saturn's moon, may have life based upon methane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I found this pretty interesting as Titan was previously thought of to possibly have alien life on it. The article says that something is eating away at the hydrogen present there.

Something is consuming hydrogen and organic molecules on Saturn's moon Titan, and the recipe matches astrobiologists' theories about possible methane-based life. Granted, there may be other chemical explanations -- it's just that no one knows what they are yet. ... The good news is that even if life is ruled out, the non-biological explanations are still interesting. According to previous studies, hydrogen should be distributed pretty evenly throughout Titan's atmosphere. But it's disappearing at the surface.
"It's as if you have a hose and you're squirting hydrogen onto the ground, but it's disappearing," says Darrell Strobel, a Cassini interdisciplinary scientist based at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Md., who authored a paper published in the journal Icarus.

Methane based life? Forgive me for being naive but I've never heard of this before.

Source

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Oops already a thread on this. www.abovetopsecret.com...

My bad!

join